New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: New Rig Feedback.

Postby iTrump on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:54 am

Though, I do have a few questions:

1. The CPU and Mobo are compatible right? They have the same slot and everything, but stuff like the HyperTransport speeds are different.
2. I really feel like I'm being too cheap on the mobo, what do you guys think?
3. I have a 500Watt power supply and an ATI 5770HD, the CPU here looks to use quite a bit of power(125W), will my 500watt be able to support that? Should I get a new one?[/quote]

Question 1. Yea they are both Socket AM3 so they will both work.
Question 2. In my opinion. Yea you are going cheap on the mobo. Maybe go with a $80 - $100 mobo.
Question 3. Kinda depends on your powersupply's 12v rail and how many watts are on it.
iTrump
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:36 am

iTrump wrote:Question 1. Yea they are both Socket AM3 so they will both work.

Thanks, I just wanted to check.

iTrump wrote:Question 2. In my opinion. Yea you are going cheap on the mobo. Maybe go with a $80 - $100 mobo.

What do I gain for the extra expense?

iTrump wrote:Question 3. Kinda depends on your powersupply's 12v rail and how many watts are on it.

I'll have to look into that.

For everyone else, here is my post, since I was the last on on the previous page:
Gary wrote:CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz with 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache[$130- 5stars with 1,756votes]

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB(2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1066(PC3 8500)[$45- 5stars with 114votes]

MoBo: ASRock M3A770DE 770 ATX AMD Motherboard[$60- 4stars with 341votes ]

Total: ~$235

Though, I do have a few questions:

1. The CPU and Mobo are compatible right? They have the same slot and everything, but stuff like the HyperTransport speeds are different.
2. I really feel like I'm being too cheap on the mobo, what do you guys think?
3. I have a 500Watt power supply and an ATI 5770HD, the CPU here looks to use quite a bit of power(125W), will my 500watt be able to support that? Should I get a new one?
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:45 am

@2: stabilty and speed (and options). You may want to consider getting rid of the second pcix16 slot to accomodate more money towards a better motherboard.

@3: the 3d card alone requires >100 watt on the 12v rail. As does the cpu. HDD's, optical drives, all depend on the 12 volt rail. Don't even think about having enough juice when your psu's 12V capacity is < 300 watt. Not to mention the facts that its probably aging a bit (decreasing efficiency), it's probably going to run above its optimal power useage (most psu's have an 'optimal' usage where they can generate the most power). I don't think you can leave it TBH, but if it's a good brand it might just run it. Might.

As for the RAM, you might consider getting dd3 1600 if you will be using memory-intensive programs and budget allows. It's only slightly faster tho, so dont do it if it costs a LOT extra.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cz_squishy on Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Newegg has a deal right now with Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB for $100
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Gary on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:21 pm

zombie@computer wrote:@2: stabilty and speed (and options). You may want to consider getting rid of the second pcix16 slot to accomodate more money towards a better motherboard.

Okay, I'll start looking for a better motherboard and power supply. Thanks for the advice.

zombie@computer wrote:As for the RAM, you might consider getting dd3 1600 if you will be using memory-intensive programs and budget allows. It's only slightly faster tho, so dont do it if it costs a LOT extra.

I saw that too, is the difference between 1066 and 1600 noticeable?

cz_squishy wrote:Newegg has a deal right now with Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB for $100

Sadly, if I'm going to be getting a power supply, this too expensive for me.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby bitPanther on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:00 pm

I honestly would prioritize a better psu over the mobo, a cheap psu is alot more prone to failing and underperforming after alot of use.

you should also be going through the feedback page for all the parts you're getting and making sure that people haven't had alot of problems with the part you're getting. I honestly dont see anything wrong with a cheap mobo, but only if its decently made. ive been using a bottom of the line biostar mobo for almost 2 years now on this build and haven't had a single problem with it.

also, i've heard that the stock hs/f that comes with the phenom ii can be inadequate, and so if you have an extra $30 you could get a different cooling solution http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=574&name=CPU-Fans-Heatsinks. brands such as coolermaster and arctic cooling are kind of popular.
bitPanther
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:42 pm

bitPanther wrote:I honestly would prioritize a better psu over the mobo, a cheap psu is alot more prone to failing and underperforming after alot of use.

I have also heard a failing power supply can take everything else with it...

bitPanther wrote:you should also be going through the feedback page for all the parts you're getting and making sure that people haven't had alot of problems with the part you're getting. I honestly dont see anything wrong with a cheap mobo, but only if its decently made. ive been using a bottom of the line biostar mobo for almost 2 years now on this build and haven't had a single problem with it.

Most of the 1 star ratings on the cheap mobo are from DOAs, which it seems most products have a chance of suffering from. Same with my current Mobo, it's cheap and served well over the years(but it's old).

bitPanther wrote:also, i've heard that the stock hs/f that comes with the phenom ii can be inadequate, and so if you have an extra $30 you could get a different cooling solution http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=574&name=CPU-Fans-Heatsinks. brands such as coolermaster and arctic cooling are kind of popular.

Thanks, I'll defiantly consider that. I think I'll stick with the stock one for now and if I notice it running too hot, I'll go ahead and invest in a decent cooling solution.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Gary on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC[$55- 5stars with 442votes ]

Is that a good one? The really cheap ones seem to lie and publish their peak output(instead of their continuous).

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby kkirspel on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:57 pm

Is it cool to buy a new rig from a custom build or stock on a website like hp.com or dell.com? Or is there better below the surface places that get the job done just as well or better?

I have zero knowledge about the hardware side of a computer and wouldn't be able to build one myself mind you.
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby iTrump on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:27 pm

kkirspel wrote:Is it cool to buy a new rig from a custom build or stock on a website like hp.com or dell.com? Or is there better below the surface places that get the job done just as well or better?

I have zero knowledge about the hardware side of a computer and wouldn't be able to build one myself mind you.

Well making your own rig is cheaper and you just feel better knowing that you made that rig, not some random guy in China. Also most companies like HP and Dell freeze there motherboards so you cant overclock (get better performance) out of your hardware.
iTrump
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:07 pm

kkirspel wrote:Is it cool to buy a new rig from a custom build or stock on a website like hp.com or dell.com? Or is there better below the surface places that get the job done just as well or better?

Just do it yourself. It's not hard, it's easier than Lego.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Easier than Lego.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kkirspel on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 pm

iTrump wrote:Well making your own rig is cheaper and you just feel better knowing that you made that rig, not some random guy in China. Also most companies like HP and Dell freeze there motherboards so you cant overclock (get better performance) out of your hardware.

I'm not a fan of overclocking. A professor of mine lectured in class on the topic once. (Don't ask me the detail, it was 3 years or so ago and I'll be damned if I go looking for those notes...again.)
In general, its just not safe as there a plenty of things you risk happening to your processor etc

...anyways thats not here or there.

I'd love to build one myself, but I really don't trust myself to do it correctly without some type of training or something.
Besides, isn't that what people in China are f... wait no. No nevermind.
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Smurftyours on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 pm

kkirspel wrote:Besides, isn't that what people in China are f... wait no. No nevermind.

kkirspel wrote:isn't that what people in China are f

kkirspel wrote:thats what people in China are for

ZING!
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 pm

overclocking reduces the lifespan of your processor (although there are worse things, like wild temperature fluctuations or running without proper cooling.)

In the real world, that doesn't matter one bit. If you overclock the shit out of your processor it might only be operable for 20 years, opposed to 50. Also, if you're retarded then you can melt your cpu beyond repair.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software