New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Postby xoqolatl on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:43 pm

All new Nvidia and ATI cards work in PCI-E 1.0 and 1.1 motherboards. In fact they even work in 8x slots as long as they are 16x physical.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: New Rig Feedback.

Postby Prvt_Peanut on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 pm

Hey guys, i'm currently deciding on the specs of my new computer and am unsure of a couple of things.
Firstly, heres the specifications i think are definite:

Yoyotech Intel Viper Gamma
Case: Antec P182 Gun Metal Black Case
Powersupply: Antec TP3-650 True Power Trio 650W Powersupply
Intel CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600, S775, 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB Cache CPU - Retail - G0 Stepping
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler Intel Celeron (Skt 775), Intel P4(Skt 775), Intel Pentium D
PC Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory
Desktop Hard Drive: Hitachi 320GB SATA2 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
CD/DVD RW: Liteon 20X Lightscribe DVDRW Black + Software OEM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition DVD - oem

Looks ok i hope, now what i can't decide on is which graphics card and motherboard to buy.
I've narrowed down the graphics cards to these two which cost more or less the same:

XFX 8800GTS XXX 640MB DDR3, Dual DVI, PCI-E Graphics Card
MSI 8800GTS 640MB DDR3, Dual DVI, Overclocked Memory

I can't imagine there being a massive between the two but either way I'd like to know which to choose :wink:

Now as for motherboards i don't know anything, this is the standard mother board on offer:
Abit IP35-E Intel P35, Dual DDR2, Sokcet 775, 7.1 Audio, PCI-E, SATA 2, ATX Motherboard

For an extra £30-£40 I can choose from the following:
Gigabyte GA P35-DS4, iP35 Express, Socket 775, PCI-E x16, DDR2 1066/533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX Motherboard
MSI P35 Platinum Socket 775, DDR2, SAT2, ATX Motherboard

What exactly makes them (or not if that may be the case) worth the extra cash?
Thanks in advance for the advice :)
Prvt_Peanut
Regular
Regular

Postby Slutty_hoe on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Prvt_Peanut wrote:CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler Intel Celeron (Skt 775), Intel P4(Skt 775), Intel

Good choice but can be better. I brought that cooler and it dropped my temp down by 15degrees. Gonna oc now :D

Looks ok i hope, now what i can't decide on is which graphics card and motherboard to buy.
I've narrowed down the graphics cards to these two which cost more or less the same:

XFX 8800GTS XXX 640MB DDR3, Dual DVI, PCI-E Graphics Card
MSI 8800GTS 640MB DDR3, Dual DVI, Overclocked Memory

Ones over clocked to run faster and ones not. Also different brands. Tis possible to oc you own graphics so it doesnt really matter

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition DVD - oem

I would suggest Xp but it all comes down to personal preference

Not sure about the mobo but i got the http://www.ple.com.au/snapshot.php?inventory_id=30431
Very very happy with it and its got sli if you want it later
You Can't Have Manslaughter Without Laughter

Slutty_hoe
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Prvt_Peanut on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:39 pm

cool, i suppose i'll go for the msi overclocked one then, I save a sweet £2 too!
Prvt_Peanut
Regular
Regular

Postby xoqolatl on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:44 pm

I don't know where you are buying thos parts, but I'd take 8800GTS 512 over 8800gts 640 (if the price is not much bigger). 8800GTS 512MB is built on G92 core, which is considerably faster; in fact it's comparable to 8800GTX/Ultra.

As for P5N32-E SLI - I would not touch that board with 10 feet pole again. I had three of them; as long as you don't use any advanced feature like overclocking, RAID, dual lan etc, it's fine, but... for that price I expect everything to be working. That board is a big pile of trouble.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Slutty_hoe on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:51 pm

xoqolatl wrote:I don't know where you are buying thos parts, but I'd take 8800GTS 512 over 8800gts 640 (if the price is not much bigger). 8800GTS 512MB is built on G92 core, which is considerably faster; in fact it's comparable to 8800GTX/Ultra.

As for P5N32-E SLI - I would not touch that board with 10 feet pole again. I had three of them; as long as you don't use any advanced feature like overclocking, RAID, dual lan etc, it's fine, but... for that price I expect everything to be working. That board is a big pile of trouble.

rofl? oh crap so you mean i cant over clock? and thats why my raid aint working? dam could have told us this before

Slutty_hoe
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Prvt_Peanut on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:36 pm

ahh ok this changes things, i suppose I should get the 8800gts 512MB then, but this means I cant buy from http://www.yoyotech.co.uk. I was going to buy it from there because they are one of the sites that lets you choose to have no soundcard as oppose to a standard basic one.

OK explanation: I'm into doing electronic music on my pc so i need a soundcard for that sort of thing, I've already got a good soundcard like this in my current machine, so I can use that. Why can't I simply replace the basic soundcard? Well I thought i could do that when I bought my current Dell, but i found that for some odd reason the usb and camera chip ports on the front of my pc where wired through the shitty original soundcard. Not wishing to fuck up those I now have two soundcards in my machine and having two soundcards has made everything more complicated. :? So basically I want to avoid this by not having a soundcard in the machine when I buy it.

Short story: Can anyone recommended a site which offer pcs with good value, customisation and the choice not to have a sound card?
Prvt_Peanut
Regular
Regular

Postby xoqolatl on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:39 pm

Every single motherboard nowadays has a sound card. You can't choose not to have a sound card, you can only choose not to have a DISCRETE one.

Slutty Hoe - not even ASUS knows why is your raid working... If you want you can PM me and I'll give you some links that MAY help you fix some problems with that board.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Slutty_hoe on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 am

xoqolatl wrote:Every single motherboard nowadays has a sound card. You can't choose not to have a sound card, you can only choose not to have a DISCRETE one.

Slutty Hoe - not even ASUS knows why is your raid working... If you want you can PM me and I'll give you some links that MAY help you fix some problems with that board.

nah its a little too late now but i had a couple of problems when i tryed and said cbf and left it

Slutty_hoe
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Ale on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:47 pm

Soon time to order watercooling, oh yeah 8)
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Slutty_hoe on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:49 pm

DreAz wrote:Soon time to order watercooling, oh yeah 8)

Good good

Slutty_hoe
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby irt3hnubpie on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:55 pm

Right, after mustering up some money and browsing, I came across this:

Gateway GM5478 Intel Desktop Computer
The Gateway GM5478 comes with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz quad core processor with 8MB of cache, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, and a 500GB SATA II hard drive. Plus a Dual-Layer DVD±RW/RAM burner drive you can use to burn customized DVDs. Plus, this Gateway has a TV tuner, NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT video card, and 7.1 channel High Definition sound.

Comes out to $699.97 CAN which is $698.85 USD right now. I'd like to know if this is a good deal, since it's a Canadian company or since the American dollar is equal, should I go looking south of the border and pay that little bit extra for shipping, and if so, where?
Starfuckers, Inc.
1447 wrote:Why would someone open fire on a random wall? Do you live in the US or something?
irt3hnubpie
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby xoqolatl on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:40 pm

8500GT = utter crap
Only suitable for a HTPC or a typewriter (is that a right word?)
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby vcool on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 pm

^^^ Man speaks truth.^^^

If you are low on budget I suggest going for the 3850, preferably PowerColour since they have a better cooler.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Doomtrain on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:48 pm

Hey,
can you guys give me feedback on my pc upgrade.
Im buying the parts in june, so unless there better parts by then I think il stick with these.
Im not really a expert at building pc's but here it goes anway:

Cpu: Q9450 2,66ghz 12mb cache - I dont think im going to OC it

Mobo: gigabyte ga-p35-ds4 or ga-x38-ds4, im not sure wich of these 2 I should buy can you guys help me out?

Ram: 2x DDR2 2048MB 800 Corsair KitXMS2 C5, unless there is a better cheaper module of ram

Gpu: 8800gt or 8800gtx depends on GTX's price if it's too high il stick with the 8800gt

PSU: im not sure yet but i think il need 650 watt so im going for 650W 12cm RASURBO
Doomtrain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software