wtf i hate ati

PC related discussion and other issues.

wtf i hate ati

Postby 8chaos on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 am

i noticed all my computers with ati cards, dont allow me to click in the 3d view ports on any version of valve hammer editor... i unistalled the driver on one computer bam works fine... is there a custom version of a radeon x1300 driver, and a HD4800 were opengl aint screwed up, or is there any way to work around this? i like to keep my drivers as up to date as possable i would hate to rollback.. would dropping opengl32.dll file into the hammer root folder work?

im pretty sure my cards are still under warranty, im gunna be furious if i have to send them back i will never ever buy another ati product ever, nvidia cards never gave me dumb problems like this. ¬_¬

all my computers run windows xp, i refuse to taint them with vista or 7 lol

There's a hundred million reasons.. Not to care.
8chaos
Regular
Regular

Re: wtf i hate ati

Postby headlikeawhole on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:58 am

That's weird; I use my x1300pro on this system and hammer workers perfectly fine.
XPSP3, Sempron 3000+, 1 gb ram.
And my HD4670 on Vista works too; all with the most recent updates :S.
headlikeawhole
Regular
Regular

Postby srredfire on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:05 am

Nvidia > ATI

/fanboy
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby whiffen on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 am

I can use the 3d view just fine. Running a 4850.
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby xoqolatl on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:35 am

I never had this problem with any ATI card since HD3850 (had most of them).
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby BubbleQ on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:26 am

Windows 7 + HD 4870 x2 = working :)

Have also tried it on hammer 3.4 and that worked fine too.
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Dionysos on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 am

srredfire wrote:Nvidia > ATI

/fanboy

Mee too but atm it seems like an ATI would be the best choice (if you have the moneyz). It's kind of sad.

Edit: fanboy in the sense that nvidia is preferable due to its better linux support.
Last edited by Dionysos on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby xoqolatl on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 am

srredfire wrote:Nvidia > ATI

/fanboy

common sense > fanboys

/antifanboy
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Psy on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Hammer uses DirectX, not OpenGL. I've never had the problem you are describing. However what exactly do you mean and what happens when you click in the 3D view?
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:36 am

The only issues I ever had with an older ATI card was the general shittiness of the catalyst drivers; always crashing and shit, making games lag like hell. Terrible drivers. But they're better now. I've always been partial to Nvidia cards because the drivers were solid and updating was never an issue, but PhysX is a total gimmick (never performs well) and Nvidia is behind the game right now.

It's just how it goes. Red Team is in the lead, that's all. Hopefully Nvidia picks their shit up and makes some great progress soon. I'd gladly stick to Nvidia with my next rig if they make some nice DX11 cards that rival ATI's tech.

Anyway...as for your problem, I don't really know what to say...that's a really strange issue. I would have proposed you look for another constant between your computers, but you said after uninstalling the drivers it started working. So that's clearly the issue.

Then again...it's still possible that some other constant is causing this...if it's really that complicated...
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:32 am

nub wrote:The only issues I ever had with an older ATI card was the general shittiness of the catalyst drivers; always crashing and shit, making games lag like hell. Terrible drivers. But they're better now. I've always been partial to Nvidia cards because the drivers were solid and updating was never an issue, but PhysX is a total gimmick (never performs well) and Nvidia is behind the game right now.

It's just how it goes. Red Team is in the lead, that's all. Hopefully Nvidia picks their shit up and makes some great progress soon. I'd gladly stick to Nvidia with my next rig if they make some nice DX11 cards that rival ATI's tech.

I think you can tell from the way I highlighted the relevant phrase, that I agree with it wholeheartedly. ATI has always given me serious crap with the Catalyst system, there were some nice stuff about it too, but the stability I felt when I bought my 8800GTS was surprising. So while ATI might be ahead of Nvidia right now (which doesn't matter really since this wheel keeps on turning every month), I'm not getting another ATI until they improve their code and stability.
RefaelBA

Postby YokaI on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:37 am

I don't know if it's just me, but lighting always turns out looking better on Nvidia cards... But maybe it's just my imagination.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Psy on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:45 am

The ATI drivers are fine and Nvidia are awful at the moment as all they seem to be doing is delaying Fermi and rebranding old cards as new cards.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby xoqolatl on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:21 pm

YokaI wrote:I don't know if it's just me, but lighting always turns out looking better on Nvidia cards... But maybe it's just my imagination.

1. Lighting quality never depends on your GPU on modern engines (unless you're forcing features not supported by the engine in the drivers, like SSAO in NV drivers)

2. I'm surprised no one has noticed that in Source engine, certain kinds of fog (example: stock de_westwood) look like shit on Nvidia cards on all driver versions since three or so years ago.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Hardware & Software