Directory "shortcut"?

PC related discussion and other issues.

Directory "shortcut"?

Postby Gary on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 pm

Okay I wanted to try putting a mod on my Ram Disk, but Steam won't be nice and try going through a shortcut to my RAM disk.

Basically, I need to trick it into thinking it's in SourceMods directory when it's really on R:/ drive.

C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/SourceMods/ <R:/MyMod/>

Is this possible?
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Directory "shortcut"?

Postby Terr on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:13 am

Few things will follow windows shortcuts... they simply aren't that standard compared to, say, unix symlinks.

You may want to try an NTFS junction. (But beware some of the caveats noted on the wiki page, like recycle bin deletion.) Note that your RAM drive may need to be NTFS-formatted (not FAT) to do this.

There's a command-line tool for making the junctions in the Windows "System Internals" suite. Highly recommended, I tend to install it on each computer I work on. You can also download the tool separately.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Directory "shortcut"?

Postby Gary on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks. I'll try those.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Return to Hardware & Software