Duel Monitor's vs Single Monitor

PC related discussion and other issues.

Duel Monitor's vs Single Monitor

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Hey All,

I am having an interesting conundrum over here. I currently have a duel monitor setup. But it seems that lately my computer has became sluggish and any game play or mapping I try to do just totally sucks because everything lags out so bad. It used to not be this way when I first built my PC (It's only about 8 mo's old). I am beginning to wonder if the few hours my pc ran with no fan running for the video card didn't damage anything? What should I do? Drop back down to just using one single display' or what?

Here is my setup:
- Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H Mainboard
- 3 GB DDR2
- 500GB Western Digital Hard Drive
- BFGTech Geforce GT220 (1GB DDR3)

Main Display
- HP1730 17" with a 2048x1024 resolution (Native)

Secondary Display
- AOC LM520 with a 1024x768 resolution (Native)

As far as software, I have Windows 7, I use AVG, Malwarebytes, and SPS&D for my virus scanner/adaware scanner crap...

I appreciate the insight....

Dr Evil
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Duel Monitor's vs Single Monitor

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Test it?
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Yeah I pulled the video card & stick it in another computer and it seemed fine, not over heating or anything, the GPU temp barely cracks 105F, I mean hell, my CPU gets warmer then that. I replaced the dead fan that was on it, and stuck it back in my machine, but is it possible the card got damaged When it ran with no fan? Or perhaps it damaged my motherboard? or would it?
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:03 pm

If you didn't do anything graphics heavy the card should be okay. It shouldn't also damage anything else in the case unless it's actually on fire and even then it won't damage a lot (been there, done that).
This may be a stupid question but have you recently dusted and defragged it? Is your HDD filled to the brim?
There are a lot of reasons why a computer can begin crapping up.
OOH one thing you could try is disable everything in the startup tab under msconfig, did a charm on my main PC xD
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 pm

No, I wasnt doing anything graphic heavy when I realized the fan wasn't running. Matter of fact, If I remember correctly the windows screensaver was running.

As far as the hard drive goes, Its a 500GB drive, and im only using about 70GB. Just today, i disassembled the computer, dusted it, and put it back together (thats why it took me so long to reply) and I did a Virus/Malware/Adaware scan and a defrag, and everything checked out fine... so short of just wacking my system and doing a reinstall I dunno what else to do.

Side note, here are the numbers from the System Rating thing in the System Performance area:
- Processor: 6.8
- Memory: 6.0
- Graphics: 5.9
- Gaming Graphics: 5.9
- Primary Hard Disk: 5.9
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby marks on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:41 pm

why dont you TRY unplugging one of the monitors and see if the problem persists? If it's still causing problems then you probably need a new graphics card :)
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby vcool on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:10 pm

What marks said.

Also 2048x1024 resolution? I've never seen those :O

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:57 pm

thats probably because it doesnt exist lol clearly a mistake in the OP
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Dr Evil on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:40 pm

After doing some research, I found out through looking at the Nvidia forums that several other people who have the same card as I do where having the same issues after updating to the latest driver for Windows 7. It was suggested that I roll the driver back to previous version, which I did, and apparently that did the trick. My FPS' is back up above 100 in every map I play, and I seemingly have no video lag or ill effects when using duel monitors.

Thanks you guys for the suggestions and such, it was unfortunate after trying those that it turned out to be a damn driver issue :/

Dr Evil
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Return to Hardware & Software