Steam Failing to lauch a game.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Steam Failing to lauch a game.

Postby jgoodroad on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 am

Hello, I recently pre-ordered Dead Island (about a week before release), but when the game did release I could not play it. steam would give me a "preparing to luach dead island" for about a second, then it disappears as if nothing happened. Now I have looked over the steam support page and found this related topic.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -USFX-5568

Of course I have checked off each possible cause (I have updated windows, have the current driver, Verified the steam cache, re-installed the game (3 times) and I am 95% sure my virus software isn't blocking it. As for installers I didn't find any in the steam/steamapps/common/dead island folder (it did have application, but if I click on it I get an error saying the program is missing d3dx9_43.dll) I have even defragmented the files and tried creating and restoring a backup (course at this point It seems like trying to fix a car by emptying the ashtray.)) It appears that I am the only one encountering this problem with this particular game (despite the whole fiasco involving the game being an outdated debug version) So I am almost certain it has to do with something on my end.

I am probably missing something blatant, which is why I do apologize if the answer is something elementary. But I am out of ideas.
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Re: Steam Failing to lauch a game.

Postby Dives on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:33 am

Have you tried updating DirectX from microsoft's website? If your're saying the included DX installer isn't working, using the latest one from Microsoft may.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby jgoodroad on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:06 am

Yes I have.
===[]"

jgoodroad

Postby Zecrah on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Try running Steam as an administrator. I find I need to do that for first time setups a lot.
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby jgoodroad on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:17 am

Didn't work... Or perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by "administrator"
===[]"

jgoodroad

Postby TheDanishMaster on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:39 am

Well if it says it's missing the d3dx9_43.dll then I suggest you go get it here http://www.dll-files.com/pop.php?dll=d3dx9_43 and throw it in the dead island installation folder. Works 9 out of 10 times
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby jgoodroad on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 pm

well, I no longer get the d3dx9_43.dll error, now I get "this program can't start because XAPOFX1_5.dll is missing from your computer" (note this is only when I click the Deadisland application in my steamapps/common/Dead Island folder, trying to run the game via steam or desktop doesn't give me any errors, it just doesn't run.)
===[]"

jgoodroad

Postby jgoodroad on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:44 pm

Well, I got a message back from steam support. They gave me a list of secondary installers to run again, But when running the DXSETUP.exe file, I get an internal system error.

"An internal system error has occured.
Please refer to DXerror.log and DirectX.log in your windows folder to determine problem."

Going to google to see if I can find a viable answer.
===[]"

jgoodroad

Return to Hardware & Software