Possible PSU issue

PC related discussion and other issues.

Possible PSU issue

Postby MELVIn on Thu May 03, 2012 1:14 am

So I got a PSU from a friend of mine the other day, and used it to put together another computer for a friend of mine, using old fully working parts that I had laying around.

Now the thing is, every time they turn on this computer, it starts beeping, in a 1-second beep-no beep interval. This goes on forever, until they push a little button on the back of the PSU, then the beeping stops, and the computer seems to be working just fine afterwards.

I don't have the name of the PSU at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone knew right away what was up with that.
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Possible PSU issue

Postby nub on Thu May 03, 2012 2:21 pm

What BIOS does this computer use? I've had beep errors on bootup before. They actually mean quite a lot:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/ibmbeep.htm#

That's for IBM BIOS so it's probably not accurate, but see if your BIOS is on that site and look for the beep code type that sounds like the one you're receiving and see what it means. Might help you troubleshoot your issue. The beep code list is on the right hand side of the web page. There's only a few manufacturers listed though.

If you can't find yours on there, I'd recommend googling "<manufacturer> BIOS Beep Codes" and see what comes up.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Thu May 03, 2012 4:56 pm

the beeping stopped after pressing a button on the psu? I know of only two buttons on the psu: the on/off switch and the 110/230 V switch. Neither buttons are likely to help you in this case.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MELVIn on Fri May 04, 2012 3:18 am

Yeah that's what I thought too, until I came across this PSU. It's a small square red button right next to the on/off button, and naturally, given it's color and the fact that it was a button, I pressed it. The beeping then stops.

Interestingly though, according to Gigabyte's website (the mobo is a Gigabyte whatevername), the beep-code I'm hearing is for faulty or improperly inserted memory modules. I've yet to pay my friend another visit to check that out, and to find out the name of the PSU so that I can google it to learn what that darn button actually does.
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 am

Tear out the beeper?

My computer sometimes beeps, I think it's a fan failure warning. I solved it by disconnecting the sensor.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Return to Hardware & Software