BIOS error 106

PC related discussion and other issues.

BIOS error 106

Postby ErikKiller on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Hey guys!

Not sure whether it's my Intel mobo or WD HDD crapping up (might even be RAM-related), but every time I try to boot my PC I'll only get Error 106 and the option to go into setup. In the BIOS it actually detects my HDD and RAM so I have no idea what the problem might be. Or rather, I'm hoping it's not the HDD.

Cheers!
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: BIOS error 106

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 pm

What is exactly giving the error? If the error originates from the bios, you may be dealing with a 'System board converting logic test failure', or whatever the hell that is. A quick google shows causes from mobo or CPU malfunctions to peripheral/controller issues. So, can be anything. Error 106 is also a dreaded 'this WD hdd is pretty fucked up' error code.

Pull all nonessential devices out, test hdd in a different pc. Thats where id start.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby WhiteDevil on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:50 am

Situations like these are pretty straight forward to see where the problem is. I usually bring my computer to a friend so I can swap some parts if needed to see what's causing the problems.

Having more than 1 hard drives is a big plus since they never go out in pairs :D
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gambini on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 am

WhiteDevil wrote:Situations like these are pretty straight forward to see where the problem is. I usually bring my computer to a friend so I can swap some parts if needed to see what's causing the problems.

Having more than 1 hard drives is a big plus since they never go out in pairs :D

I used to do that until once my power supply blew off. I brought my pc to my friend´s house and it blew his PS too. Problem was in the mobo. :D
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Gambini wrote:
WhiteDevil wrote:Situations like these are pretty straight forward to see where the problem is. I usually bring my computer to a friend so I can swap some parts if needed to see what's causing the problems.

I used to do that until once my power supply blew off. I brought my pc to my friend´s house and it blew his PS too. Problem was in the mobo. :D

how can a motherboard ruin the psu?
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:59 pm

@joe: Short it out? Though last time my computer shorted out, it just shut down. Didn't seem to hurt it.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Gary on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:00 pm

@joe: Short it out? Though last time my computer shorted out, it just shut down. Didn't seem to hurt it.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Gambini on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 am

I´m not sure what happened that time. it was in 2007, and my older son who was 4 at that time, was playing with the power button. EVERYTHING except monitor and mouse stopped working. This includes mobo, cpu, memories, video card, HDs, Cd player, floppy, sound card, PSU and even the keyboard. It must have been a spike in the line, as i find difficult that pushing the power button a hundred times will cause so much damage. Of course I realized all this later.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to Hardware & Software