Mobo suggestions

PC related discussion and other issues.

Mobo suggestions

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking at updating/rebuilding my system... looking at a few possibilities..

I currently have THIS picked out for my case, but I cant decide on which motherboard I want, I'm stuck between these two

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131827&Tpk=ASUS%20M4A88TD

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128504&Tpk=GIGABYTE%2078LMT-S2P

I currently already have a Gigabyte board, but I have used Asus in the past. As far as CPU goes, I'm keeping my current AMD socket AM3 cpu with the Corsair H70 water cooling unit, and I'm going to add 8GB of DDR3 ram, either Kingston or GSkill... just want some opinions?

Thanks!
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Mobo suggestions

Postby cz_squishy on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 pm

My suggestion is get a better case
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Well, kinda too late, i already ordered that case, but that wasnt my question LOL...
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Epifire on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:45 am

I would run with the Asus board just because it seems it can support more. Moar PCI slots are always a plus. I am using a decent board and I wish I had more honestly, so I would side with higher capacity. Up to you but it is harder to change boards later then to just spend a bit of extra on a bigger one up front. The Asus also supports twice as much memory so that's another plus too.
Epifire

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:16 pm

The asus is better but also more expensive. Expansion possibilities are nice, but how likely are you going to replace that am3 cpu when you are going to make the upgrade? I'd say very likely, and then a cheap mobo is probably expensive enough.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr Evil on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:57 pm

I don't plan to get another CPU for a while since I just bought this one less then 6 months ago, and the only reason I'm changing boards is the current board I have is 2 years old, and 2 of the dimm slots are bad, and DDR2 ram is so much more expensive then DDR3, and besides. I dont think I'll ever max a board out at 8GB of ram, or even 16GB for that matter, for no more then what I do I dont require alot. But I figure since this board is on its way out the door, I might as well start upgrading my system, even if its a little at a time.

I may eventually by a new CPU, but for right now i think the one I have is good enough, I mean its at 3.1Ghz so i have no complants...yet lol
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby nub on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Dr Evil wrote:I dont think I'll ever max a board out at 8GB of ram

It's funny how hard it is NOT to get 8gb of RAM, considering the stuff is so damn cheap these days. Most deals on Newegg are for 8 gigs anyway, and it's around like...$50...
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Hardware & Software