Network boosting

PC related discussion and other issues.

Network boosting

Postby shadowmancer471 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Right, I have a small dilemma I hope you guys could help with.

I will soon be having a new pc in my room, which is at the top of the house. The network router is at the bottom.
Neither can be moved.
Thing is, the desktop pc has NO wireless card or dongle, and even if it did, the connection upstairs in my room is pretty terrible (multiple flights of stairs up).
I was considering using EOP to connect my PC to the router with a decent speed, but there's a whole world of issues using these things.

I cant get away with stringing an ethernet cable all the way up there, and a wireless card would slow my connection right the balls down.
I *could* use a networking card and a signal booster next to my pc if you guys think that'd work, but I was wondering if there were more efficient alternatives.

Any ideas chaps?
I want to get off Mr.Bones Wild Ride
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Re: Network boosting

Postby Epifire on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:30 am

I thought the Netgear Powerline was meant to be an option for what you explain. It is meant to be a way point to keep the signal strong between router and the client's PC. Some one correct me if I am wrong but I thought that is how that kinda thing was supposed to work.
Epifire

Postby Jangalomph on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:35 am

Had your same problem. Here is the soloution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181127

ZyXEL are my babies and i love them. I can plug one into any outlet in my house and instantly get internet connection on the fly. They are amazing, and i can dl 5mb/s. And if no one else is using them in my house then i insta buffer 1080p youtube videos. If you are in the UK im sure they make some for UK plugs.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby shadowmancer471 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:54 am

The ZyXEL ones look great, but struggling to find ones that I know work on UK plugs
Was looking at:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trendnet-500Mbp ... roduct_top

A lot of people have said they got capped at 100mbps, which they thought was pretty darn slow.
However, I'm on a wireless card, and most wireless cards appear to run at around 54mbps, and Ive never had any speed issues.
Unfortunately, at the end of the day, I'm a technologically incompetent poop. I have no idea how fast a 100mbps connection actually is.Just to check, is it fast enough to watch videos and play internet games and shit?

Currently running a HP Wireless 802.11 b/g/n PCIe Card boasting:
"Wide coverage area at up to 135 Mbps, 54 Mbps, or 11 Mbps throughput*"
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:44 am

shadowmancer471 wrote:A lot of people have said they got capped at 100mbps, which they thought was pretty darn slow.
However, I'm on a wireless card, and most wireless cards appear to run at around 54mbps, and Ive never had any speed issues.
Unfortunately, at the end of the day, I'm a technologically incompetent poop. I have no idea how fast a 100mbps connection actually is.Just to check, is it fast enough to watch videos and play internet games and shit?
"

It might be considered slow if you're transferring lots of huge files over the local(same building) network. But considering most internet connections rarely even get 50mbps, it shouldn't bottleneck you.

Also, 100mbps = 11.9 MB/s
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby shadowmancer471 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Awesome, I'll order them today then
If these work, I owe all three of you cookies
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:03 am

jangalomph wrote:Had your same problem. Here is the soloution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181127

ZyXEL are my babies and i love them. I can plug one into any outlet in my house and instantly get internet connection on the fly. They are amazing, and i can dl 5mb/s. And if no one else is using them in my house then i insta buffer 1080p youtube videos. If you are in the UK im sure they make some for UK plugs.

So if I read the description correctly, those little bastards basically use your house's power lines as a pseudo ethernet cable whose ends connect to your PC and router wirelessly? If so then that's fucking incredible. Had no idea that was possible.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:42 am

Oh yeah, it's pretty neat. I actually had this "home automation" stuff a few years back. You could plug in a module that has an outlet on it, turn these little knobs on it to set it's identifier, and you could use a control module(a little remote with buttons and plugged into any other outlet) to turn stuff on and off.

Only real problem was voltage spikes(usually from lightning striking power poles) burning out the little things... I wonder if these networking devices are as sensitive...
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby shadowmancer471 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Got em today and they work great.
Thanks for the suggestion, I owe you all some form of cookie based treat
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Postby Kosire on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Gary wrote:
shadowmancer471 wrote:A lot of people have said they got capped at 100mbps, which they thought was pretty darn slow.
"

It might be considered slow if you're transferring lots of huge files over the local(same building) network. But considering most internet connections rarely even get 50mbps, it shouldn't bottleneck you.

Also, 100mbps = 11.9 MB/s

100mbps = 12.5 mb/s :smt023
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 am

My zyxels are flawless. Connection never cuts even during storms or spikes. It even has a built in encryption for the connection. So yes it goes from my wireless router and from there to my zyxel downstairs and then runs through my powerline to my plug upstairs into the 2nd zyxel and I just have an ethernet cable that plugs into my PC like normal. So its just like running a cable through my walls. I specifically like mine because it doesn't take up my socket. Since it has a socket on it as well. Genius invention, I dont know how it works, but it does.
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 am

Kosire wrote:100mbps = 12.5 mb/s :smt023

:/ I hate the mbps/gbps measurements. They are retarded. WE FUCKING MEASURE OUR SHIT IN BYTES NOT BITS. Well actually a byte is eight bits but you get what I mean...

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Bits, bytes, kinda stupid, never understood what the differences were.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Hardware & Software