Thoughts on A Substance-Free Lifestyle

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Thoughts on A Substance-Free Lifestyle

Postby Hollow on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:51 pm

I felt like finally posting this as it has been rolling round my head a few times now and I've mentioned it once or twice to the amongst us regulars in chat. I am Straight Edge, and i'm intrigued at to what other first of all think of my chosen lifestyle, the positives, the negatives, your attitude on the topic, and also just to find out if there are any other Tee-Total/Straight-Edgers out there in this community!

I will probably have to clear up what Straight Edge is first for the unfamiliar. So here is a very condensed history:
The Straight Edge lifestyle emerged in the 80's from punk/hardcore band Minor Threat, the message they wanted to communicate was apparent in more than a few of their songs. It was about keeping your body and your mind clean, and rebelling against the mainstream culture and media to fit in or conforming to peer pressure. These beliefs were abstinence from alcohol, smoking and drugs, along with promiscuous sex (i.e. sleeping around, respecting yourself) and keeping your business within a relationship. This idea still lives today in the hardcore punk community, but it is a very small minority.

SxE (the abbreviation of straight edge) takes many different forms. Some are vegan/vegatarian/pro animal rights, some are militant (the tiny majority who cause all the bad press on the lifestyle by stirring stuff up) others take it to stupid lengths and cut out any addictive substances (caffeine, sugar) or even medication! But the most common is posi-edge. The people who set out to lead a meaningful and positive lifestyle (what I am)

I know it seems like there are unnecessary subsections of the lifestyle, but that's the way it has evolved as people have included their own moral beliefs into the formula. Regardless, anyone who follows the SxE lifestyle has pretty much made a commitment for life.

These are not rules, there is no enrolment process, it is neither a cult or religion (many are atheist/agnostic), you can choose to 'break edge' anytime you want, but if you do, it pretty much means you weren't SxE to begin with.

The reason why I decided to take this route was because I was becoming unhappy with the crowd I was falling into. It was so easy to go out every other night and pissing money away and waking up the next day with no idea what happened. For me, I saw it to have no benefits whatsoever. I was wasting money, doing it for the sake of it, waking up with people i barely knew, the hangover. I was just growing tired of the whole scene and starting to loathe what I could be turning into. So I decided to snap out of it. My best friend was SxE, I began talking to him about his side of things, and began researching...

I didn't make a decision for a good couple of months, over that time slowly cutting back on the drink and seeing my mood actually perk up, as i was focusing my evenings on more interesting things. Since last september, I have committed to the lifestyle an haven't looked back since. I don't even miss alcohol. Ironically, I'm a Bartender, meaning I'm around alcohol all the time :roll: but I've never been tempted.

A few things I'll add before I let others chip in.

I am totally respectful of peoples choices and beliefs. What they do is their business and it is not mine to impose my views on them. I have many friends who smoke and drink. It doesn't bother me. I keep my beliefs to myself and get on with my life...unless someone brings it up! I know there is the idea of moderate/social drinking, but it is something I don't subscribe to be honest.

I still go out to pubs and bars, my social life hasn't really changed, except the amount of money i have in my wallet at the end of the night :P

I did this for myself, not for anyone else. The health implications were a reason enough to turn my back on all that. i really could go into so many things, but I'll begin to sound like a boring arse :D

This thread is just here to share my thoughts & opinions/enlighten you lot on a very misunderstood lifestyle/answer any more questions surrounding the topic and hear your views and retrospective thoughts on the subject! I'm in a very reflective mood at the moment and am up for a good discussion!

Cheers.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Re: Thoughts on A Substance-Free Lifestyle

Postby Text_Fish on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 pm

I know a few teetotalers, a few vegans, loads of non-smokers and everything around and in between. I myself, enjoy a few pints once or twice a week, possibly accompanied by a pub quiz or a movie. When I was eighteen or nineteen I'd go a bit overboard and I've been through a couple of experimental phases with various drugs. Luckily I don't seem to get hooked, or at least I catch myself before I go too far.

I think it's all fine. What I actually don't think is fine is feeling the necessity to pigeonhole such lifestyle choices in to 'Straightedge' or SxE, or whatever other names you care to give it. As soon as that happens, you start to justify a 'holier-than-thou' approach in certain people who now think of themselves as part of a progressive movement, when in fact it simply comes down to a matter of individual taste. Just to clarify, I don't think you came across as holier-than-thou, but there are certainly some people who would given half the chance.

I guess it's similar to my thoughts on religion. As soon as you try to organise these things you end up polarising large groups of people, and then you get generalisations and conflict.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Major Banter on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Drink: I barely do. I'm just not fussed

Sex: I do, with my girlfriend. I've had two in my life. I don't fuck with women.

Drugs: If it alters your brain chemistry, I don't go near it, I value my intelligence.

There's no belief behind it at all. It's as simple as respect; my parents always gave me access to those things - if I went and smoked they wouldn't rant and rave, they'd just say "fine, we did, and it was shit. Not really impressed." With drink, it was very much "pshh. Go for it." They didn't encourage, but they never forbade me or ordered me to obey any sort of abstinence. Apparently born out of their own experiences which were the opposite.

Because of that, I've never really given a damn. I don't smoke, I don't do any form of drugs apart from medicinal. I don't care about animal testing, vegetarianism or so on simply because I don't see the point. It's not respect of the body (although that's pretty important in my lifestyle - I try to eat healthily overall, three square meals a day and so on) but more respect of my own image, the group I hang around with and my overall ability and intelligence. I've got a brilliant sense of balance and a penchant for speed, and I don't want to fuck up my chances later in life thanks to an evening of fucking with substances.

As for girls - well, they're not walking wank houses, and I look down on people who judge others by sex; either by amount or their virginity. It's just not that big a deal, and whoever values a loving act as recreational (to clarify - fucking around, concessional, occasional, recreational sex? Win!) isn't worth my time and certainly not my conversation. Women are the other sex, and identical to us apart from the bits and the mindset. It's just how I think; raw fact.

(note - I'd prefer not to have opinions on my thoughts and feelings if that's alright; unless they're in agreement. I'm not going to make any attempt to defend myself, and I'd rather not have to expend the energy; and get spared the annoyance/upset - it's taken a lot of work to get to this comfortable position)

Anyway, I have little doubt Ennui will have some interesting opinions. In all seriousness.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Major Banter wrote: I don't fuck with women.
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Hollow on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm

@Text_Fish
Aye. I just could see myself slipping up more and more if I let it go on. I mean there were a few occasions where I went seriously overboard, to the point where I know I'm harming myself in the long run.

You make a good point about the labelling thing though. It was something I was trying to clarify in my original post. The Straight Edge term is only used in conjunction for those who are actively involved the hardcore/punk community AND follow the lifestyle. But there is some controversy I admit about needing such labels to describe it. It's mainly to eliminate having to say, 'I don't do this that, that, that, that, and I REALLY like this music'. Its just a short way to describe your lifestyle. I mean on most occasions when I'm out and someone offers me a drink, I just reply 'I don't drink', as the majority of people arent interested enough to be more inciteful :lol:
Labels are used to describe pretty much anything these days, and I'm not too fussed if people find it silly that I might look like I'm categorizing myself.

And thank you for noticing the non 'holier than thou' approach I take. I feel that I am no more right or better than anyone else on this. I'd hate to think that people might expect me to shove my opinions down their neck. I'm just not that sort of person in any aspects of my life tbh. unfortunately I've had a few odd reactions when I've been out with friends. Some people almost take it as an offense that I'm not drinking, as they have already made up their minds that I will just judge them for it :?, but I have to expect that I guess.

edit: Rapid responses there! I'm typing up my reply to you Banter! :-D
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby jgoodroad on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:39 pm

define "substance"
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby whiffen on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Moderation is the key. Do what you like to do but don't go overboard :D Keep things in line with what you want from yourself.
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Hollow on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 pm

@ Banter:

That's cool to hear! It gives me a chance to bring up a few things I missed out in my OP.

I came from a similar background. My parents are thankfully the type that were pretty lenient on drugs and smoking and drink. They weren't too fussed, they just let me know not to go too crazy with the stuff. So I had pretty much free reign on things. And its not like I didn't try things. I was drinking back when I was 15. It was easy to get my hands on the stuff. Cigarettes never did anything for me. I tried once and thought 'who the hell could seriously enjoy these?' it's the one thing I'm a bit stubborn on I'll admit as I see no gain in it whatsoever. Drugs, I've tried here and there, with no real effect, I've never really been interested in that stuff to be honest. I've always thought I'm much more of an able. intelligent person to spend my time on something really fun or whatever. I've had a few friends that unfortunately have steered down that route big time. It's a little depressing as they have totally ruined their lives :?

On the women thing Banter, I can't but unanimously agree. It's one of the reasons I'm 'Posi-Edge'. I still can't understand some people's attitudes towards women. I've seen far too many people abuse their self respect and whore themselves out to any girl they lock eyes on. It sometimes actually makes me ashamed to be a guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are girls out there just as bad, but the overall attitudes to respect is something severely lacking right now. It is something I get very wound up on, as it does not reflect my mentality. I'm friends with just as many girls as guys, if not more, and I get tired of hearing their stories of slimy guys hitting on them when they go out. And yeah, you can be just friends with a girl, it's not hard. I usually end up looking after them If I go out aswell :lol:

I give girls equal respect, and I see them no better, no worse. If you want to have casual sex, go for it, just don't go about it in a derogatory way, it serves no purpose if you are just getting some for the sake of it.
I keep my business between me and the girl I'm going out with. it's my ethics. I wouldnt have it any other way.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Hollow on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:15 am

jgoodroad wrote:define "substance"

As in any non medical drugs. All the ones we'd consider 'illegal drugs'..(none that are used for medicinal purposes.)
Alcohol also falls into the category of 'substance' and so do cigarettes/nicotine. I was going to write 'drug-free lifestyle' but they are pretty exchangeable. Substance is usually a mind altering and/or addictive product. Like I said, some people add stuff with SxE, like cutting out caffeine as it could fall into that bracket. It's not really a set of rules, its the reason why there are a fair few variations, but they all follow the basic guidelines of a clean body & mind - don't drink, don't smoke, don't take drugs. Just lead a positive lifestyle really where you're taking care of yourself. I know for sure there are people who abstain from those things and don't claim edge, each to his/her own! I only follow those 3 main ones though.

But If you have fun with those things, hey, thats great, as long as you're enjoying yourself and you know its what you want. I'm not hear to stop you or to say you're silly, I just was interested in feedback and input on the subject and people's own lifestyles!
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby TicTac on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:44 am

The Hollow Night wrote:to find out if there are any other Tee-Total/Straight-Edgers out there in this community!

These beliefs were abstinence from alcohol,

Mostly.
smoking and drugs along with promiscuous sex

Check.

I've never smoked, I don't mind fooling around with someone but it's not something I get the chance to do alot :lol:
Alcheehol, especially wine, I do enjoy though.

good for you for kicking it, tho.
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:01 am

TicTac wrote:
Alcheehol, especially wine, I do enjoy though.

good for you for kicking it, tho.

Alchee-hol, Hehe, that made me giggle :P
And thanks! I was never much of a wine person back in the day haha
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Terr on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 am

If it's not sugar or caffeine, I don't do substances... but I'm more of a non-partying introverted shut-in than anything else :P
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby mat_de_b on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 am

I think you're being very over strict with yourself, because at the end of the days lifes about enjoying yourself and alot of the things your missing out on are enjoyable. For instance the concept of sleeping around and respect is strange. Sex is enjoyable, so why not? There aren't any negative consequences if you're sensible, its what we're made to do...

Alot of intelligent people do alot of drugs, you have to respect that although some are harmful there is a collection of very intersting experiences to be had from them, which have the potential to be enlightening. And alcohol is a similar story, if you know what you're doing, it can be very enjoyable. With something like alcohol you have to work very hard to really harm yourself in the longterm, a lot of people have drunk a lot of alcohol for years and they're not all Fed in the A.

Not everyone is into substances because of peer pressure, if the majority of them weren't enjoyable then they wouldn't have any lasting popularity; For instance there is a reason im not downing Calpol, there just isn't anything worthwhile in doing it. I feel that you've attempted to take quite an omniscient view point on your life and that you're trying to become more than just a normal person, but sometimes you just have to accept that the simple things are fun.
mat_de_b
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby spare8ball on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:35 am

Life is short. I have fun with Sally D.
spare8ball
Regular
Regular

Postby Hollow on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:49 am

@mat_de_b:
I think you've totally misread my whole post.
It's not that I am being overstrict with myself. I had enough experience with alcohol and drugs to know it wasnt right for me. I knew it was taking me down a bad road because I wasn't using it in light moderation. I drank more than enough to know I didnt find this fun any more. To be honest, I never really found it 'fun', I did it for the sake of it.
It's nothing to do with missing out on anything, if you read any of my posts properly you'll see that I have tried and tested and through my own choices decided to turn away from that scene.
I find other things far more interesting and fun, I like spending my time doing creative stuff and seeing my friends and family, playing/creating music, going out, going to gigs. Who says I need alcohol for any of that to fun? It never heightened my enjoyment. A person's definition of fun is entirely the individuals discretion.

Since becoming straight edge, I've noticed that I'm much happier with life and appreciate things a little more.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Next

Return to Serious Discussion