Thoughts on A Substance-Free Lifestyle

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: Thoughts on A Substance-Free Lifestyle

Postby Hellraz0r on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 am

If you actually read my post and went to the link I posted for you it wouldn't be a waste of time... ~_~

Driving whilst stoned? I don't condone driving under the influence at all, however some studies I've read have pointed towards those stoned while driving seem to drive just the same if not better, more relaxed - apart from the odd one waiting for a stop sign to turn green haha :P

Most of the time the deaths in relation to pot and car accidents are those that have THC in their system as well as other drugs, and so naturally they presume "Marijuana contributed to the death" etc.. even for a person who smoked pot up to 4 weeks ago will most likely have THC in their body still, and prohibitionists will make out that it was 'purely the pot' that caused the person to crash etc. But again I don't think ANYONE should drive under the influence of ANYTHING that MAY effect their driving in any way.

haha zombie it goes both ways, I think it's just that most people who smoke marijuana have just had enough of all these people against marijuana looking down on them, and trying to force their so called "facts" onto them when they themselves already know the truth about it all! Ahh well that's life eh? Not everyone will agree, nothing much else one can do.
Hellraz0r
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Vilham on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:30 pm

From the OP it sounds like you went from one extreme to another. To have a good time you don't need to be going out and getting trashed every night, but you don't need to go from that to abstaining from anything. Sounds like you have an addictive personality/are easily persuaded, so instead of trying to fix those problems you just hid them away instead.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby Terr on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Spike wrote:All natural drugs should be legal. Laboratory drugs not.

A blurred line as best. Quite a few legal "natural" drugs require a certain amount of laboratory-esque intervention before you get the final product. Even roasting coffee grounds is a form of chemical tinkering.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Hollow on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:20 am

Vilham wrote:From the OP it sounds like you went from one extreme to another. To have a good time you don't need to be going out and getting trashed every night, but you don't need to go from that to abstaining from anything. Sounds like you have an addictive personality/are easily persuaded, so instead of trying to fix those problems you just hid them away instead.

No, I don't have an addictive personality. I was starting to really go down a bad road with it. I wasn't merely going out and getting trashed. it was more like, drinking till your body rejects the toxins. Its easy to fall into the wrong crowd when you're young and it just took some to figure my shit out. I wasn't enjoying myself when drinking like that, and couldn't see the point in moderately drinking as I never really enjoyed the taste of alcohol.

And how is it hiding the problems? Lol. I confronted my issues with alchohol head on, by stopping and controlling myself. I wanted to regain control of my life because I could tell that if I carried on, I would be sending myself down a path I couldnt turn back from. But it's a much more complicated topic, regarding reasons to just go from drinking alot to not at all. The whole straight edge thing comes in there, which makes it a much broader subject in general for me and brings up many other reasons why I became edge and how I perceive those who drink/take drugs. Simply I wanted control of my mind/awareness when I went out, clean body/mind. Just respect myself a little and take care of myself better. I was into the sxe music long before I was edge, so it was a natural progression really.

To be honest, I don't find people around me smoking and drinking and getting baked a problem. I've been edge almost a year now and it's easy to tolerate as long as people respect my choice to not want to do that stuff. You'd think working as a bartender would be an impossible job, but I've never had problems before getting a job :P I still go to clubs and bars, and look after my girlfriend if she decides she wants to drink that evening. I'm not sure why other people make a big deal out of someone not wanting to do that stuff. It's a big deal for me of course, it's my personal choice, and one I would like to uphold....but I dont understand why some people on here just can't accept that its what makes me happy and positive these days. It wasnt' pressure or forced...nor to fit in with a scene, just a personal choice.

I respect those who love to light up a joint and get wasted (alot of my friends do, I wont stop nor encourage them) it's free choice.

Plus I love the fucking music, so :-D
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Penney on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 am

My believe in the matter is that myself, I do indulge in certain substances. For simplistic sakes I won't tell you what any of them are other then I won't indulge in anything made by a chemist or some ass hole with a bathtub in my future. I may have in the past but if so you don't need to know, why would anyone? All I can really say is that as a teenager I joined these forums never experimenting with anything more then caffeine. But now I'm done, and I simply suggest to anyone in the future that if you haven't done something yet, don't bother introducing yourself to it. If you have, then you'll always remember what that sensation was like, whether the head-rush of nicotine or rush of caffeine or calmed low of marijuana or the over zealous warmth from alcohol, so touch these in moderation as you know these substances and if you actually can relate to what I'm saying, I'm glad your mind is still with ours in the continuation of greater self achievement,

as the one thing that constantly hits me in life is how many people I had known and gone to school with that literally had their lives ruined due to their addictions and copious consumption of substances, and these were simply socially unacceptable substances.

The closest substance to a lab I consume these days is nicotine, I consume it as if it's nobodies business. That one substance I'd love to do without the world legally making a buck off of me.

And a side note, I think the world should drink less caffeine regardless.
Penney

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:48 am

It's been proven that DMT use is physiologically beneficial.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby poisonic on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:32 am

first of all they should do a ban on drugs you have to take for add adhd and autism.... normal people just cant understand how it changes the one who takes it.... im add/adhd/autistic but i BAN the medication.... it damages my soul,and my creative mind....
The only ones who benefit from this horrible medication are the ones who prescribe it to you plus the people around you who say hey it realy works he's so quiet.... but hey how silenced are you when i drug you to much.....

and now to shock you i like smoking joints... why?? after a few pufss im relaxed and still creative and not being depressed... and to get out of an idea trip(hyperfocusing) i take a little nip of amphetamine....(this is much better than ritalin)i still dont get it why parents make the choice to make their children adictive to hard drugs because the school and doktor say so...
while the original drug i should take is making me depressed damaging my body and people who take this commit much more suicide than the persons who dont take this risky medication...
btw before we gonna discuss the deaths caused by cannabis... lets discus Alcohol.... if alcohol was invented today it would be banned to the forbiden list of narcotic's (hard drugs)

People seem to forget how harmfull alcohol realy is.... the only thing useful of alcohol is that it helps disolving your body when youre death.... this is the only time a human body makes alcohol!!!!!!!!!!
[img:400]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/poisonic.png[/img]
poisonic
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby MáØ on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:46 am

poisonic wrote:im add/adhd/autistic but i BAN the medication.... it damages my soul,and my creative mind...

Hell, some kinds of birth control can have those sorts of effects on me, any medication can if it isn't the right kind for your body.
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Phott on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Poisonic, you have to understand that not all drugs have the same effect on people, it may not work well on you but on others it might.

Also, who cares if alcohol damages you? Everything damages you these days, drink moderately and responsibly and you shouldn't be worried.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:46 pm

bekey wrote:Alcohol makes you aggressive.

Also depends who's drinking the substance, everyone reacts differently.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ad_hominem on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Phott wrote:

This. When I drink alcohol, the last thing I want to do is fight. I find it helps me relax, and talk more freely with less familiar company.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 pm

ad_hominem wrote:
Phott wrote:

This. When I drink alcohol, the last thing I want to do is fight. I find it helps me relax, and talk more freely with less familiar company.

^ This
Last edited by Dr. Delta on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Well besides the positive philosophical implications of altered perception allowing us to explore and examine our own minds from new perspectives, you just have to ask yourselfif you enjoy it. All good comes with bad, if you like doing a drug more than you dislike the negative consequences, then clearly you should do the drug. There's a great quote in Caprica when a gangster is telling his nephew you shouldn't smoke. He says "You know why?" the kid says "because it's bad for you" and he says "no, life's bad for you." Which is true, everything has negative consequences and we will all grow unhealthy and die.

Most drugs have negative health consequences but with few exceptions (amphetamines, opiates, etc.) most people either lose intereset as they grow older before the consequences become to serious, or they simply don't consider the consequences serious enough. I have shitty lungs, but I don't care because I have no interest in running.

Besides all this the harmful sociological effects are always overstated. For example, there are studies showing that marijuana makes you a worse driver and studies that show it makes tyou a better driver. It simply depends on the situation and the person, and people that react badly to drugs rarely continue with them, or find the drug that suits them. Everyone is affected differently.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Phott on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Mr. Happy wrote:Everyone is affected differently.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Phott wrote:
Mr. Happy wrote:Everyone is affected differently.

everybody else might, but i'm not.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Discussion