This made me gawk with total disbelief

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

This made me gawk with total disbelief

Postby RefaelBA on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:37 pm

I don't recall seeing a lot of things as amazing as this article. It really changed everything I thought about Autistic people. I guess not all autistic people are like this, but even if they're close, it's absolutely amazing.

It's more than just a great story... This girl has a real value to science, psychology and understanding of autism. When a therapist asks her why autistics act like they do, screaming, holding their ears with their hands, and so on, she types: "it's a way for us to drown out all sensory input that over loads us all at once. We create output to block that input." I was so blown away seeing that... That's amazing.
RefaelBA

Re: This made me gawk with total disbelief

Postby Major Banter on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:58 pm

What annoys me is people like yourself Rafael. I'm not insulting you or anything, but people simply label "autistic people" as mentally retarded; not necessarily in a derogatory sense, but more as a "meh, they're different" sense. Savants are proof that that's complete bullshit. Autism is the seeking of pattern and logic. This means extremely developed mathematical ability and so on at the cost of social ability.

This is nothing new, but I will admit that anything that changes peoples opinions for the better is only to be greatly accepted.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Corewarp on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 pm

Must be annoying as hell to have a body that does shit your brain doesn't want it to do. Or to only have partial control of your brain. : <
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Chopium on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Interesting.
Chopium

Postby MáØ on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:17 pm

It isn't that surprising to me, just because someone's brain works differently doesn't mean it doesn't work.
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby RefaelBA on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Major Banter wrote:What annoys me is people like yourself Rafael. I'm not insulting you or anything, but people simply label "autistic people" as mentally retarded; not necessarily in a derogatory sense, but more as a "meh, they're different" sense. Savants are proof that that's complete bullshit. Autism is the seeking of pattern and logic. This means extremely developed mathematical ability and so on at the cost of social ability.

This is nothing new, but I will admit that anything that changes peoples opinions for the better is only to be greatly accepted.

I never thought or said that they're retarded or stupid... I thought that they were in a world of their own and hardly connecting to reality like most people do, and it was only an impression. This video surprised me because I realized they were just like most people but with just a physical disability, I didn't think they were so aware all the time, and not only that, they can even analyze their problems and explain them. That's really remakable, it let me peek into a world that I didn't know at all.

I mean this girl is completely lucid, but she's trapped in her own body, unbelievable...

Please don't be angry with me kind sir, or with half the world that had the same impression, these are great news in my opinion! Well they're news to me at least.
RefaelBA

Postby vcool on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:10 am

I can't believe it.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am

Video seems to be removed, this the same thing? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XMlhCfp3Q
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Autism is something that is close me, my best friend's daughter is autistic. Socially, she's real quiet, but when it comes to figuring something out, she amazes me. I've sat and watched her solve a rubix cube in under an hour.

being that the common population labels these people as being "retarded and stupid" is one that that totally upsets me. And I think it is the fact that I am disabled myself. I have a rare form of Cerebral Palsy, to where it only affects my right arm/hand. I used to get picked on alot when I was a kid, and teased and called a gimp and a crippled, retarded and shit like that, but the fact of it is, Those same people that degraded me when I was young don't have shit to show for themselves now that they are grown up. Most of them work in the fast food industry (not that there is anything wrong with that) or they are druggies or drunks, where as myself I have 2 college degrees and a semi-successful business, and I'm fairly happy with my life thus far. I think society needs to wake the hell up and realize that degrading people just because they are "different" and special" only proves that you are a self centered asshole that only deserves what you got if your no farther in life now then you where 10-15 years ago.

Sorry I felt that I had to put my two cents in, I was not trying to overtake these thread,..
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Will_B on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:34 pm

I've seen some terrible bullying of someone with severe Autism (if there is a scale), when I was in school. I had gone to school with this guy for 11 years, he first arrived at our school when we were very young. He was from somewhere in Africa, and had had to move here for safety reasons as his parents were ambassadors. Whether Autism was his only disability, I don't know, but he seemed to really struggle. The bullying wasn't as near as bad when we were younger, as it was when we were 16-18 years old. It was utterly disgusting seeing how people at this age were treating someone so bad. The teacher would leave class for a moment, and it would start. They would whisper his name, then pretend they didn't say anything. They would keep doing this until he exploded. they were provoking him to the extreme. It was so horrible, people my age at that time and up until we left school/sixth form, at the age of 18, people were still bullying him worse than ever before.

This guy was extremely smart and articulate, but his disabilities were destroying him because other people took advantage of them for bullying and to get a laugh with their 'mates'. And in our entire school life, nothing was ever done to stop it, I never saw any action to improve his life at school. He shouldn't have been there, he deserved somewhere much more suitable given his condition. His school life was utter hell.

What still makes me feel utterly pathetic is only once did I do anything to stop it, and that was nearing the end of our school life, and it was the same situation, tutor had left for a moment, and it started. I threatened this asshole picking on him, and what was interesting and also heartbreaking was that the guy with autism asked me to calm down and not attack this dick. I was too much of a coward and feared rejection by my 'peers' to stand up any time earlier, and this will continue to bother me for the rest of my life, I wish I had been stronger.

My point being, if there is a point to my wall of text, is that too many people are complete assholes. There isn't enough awareness within youth, something needs to be done to make them question the effects their ill-treatment is having on their victims, and I blame a combination of incompetence within parents and schools.
Will_B
Regular
Regular

Postby Corewarp on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Necro Thread has been reborn!
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Serious Discussion