Problems with stun in sleep.

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Problems with stun in sleep.

Postby BubbleQ on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey guys.

I have slept about one third of my life. I dream dreams sometimes and I have hard to sleep sometimes but there is something werid happening to me randomly, when I try to sleep/sleeping.

Let me explain... When I have been starting to sleep, I can suddenly wake up and find my slef "glued/magnetic" onto the bed. I can´t move my arms, not my legs and my middle body is stun. Also I can´t talk, I allways try to scream but my mouth will only sound like if I was out of air.
I lay there for a while, trying constantly to lift my arms or scream for my parents. When I give up I get back to sleep, but it is hard cuse I think of what if I never will be able to get my self up?
That was how it was like one year ago... (though it has been on for my whole lifetime)
In the present time it is abit diffrent, I have learned to controll it.
It starts as usual, proably just some minuites after I started to sleep. I am paralyzed... I try to stay calm and starting to lift my finger, very carefully, up and down. This takes about 20 seconds to do, after it is done I feel I have more and more controll over my hand and fingers. I do the same for my hand eventually, constant thinking of not getting panic! Suddenly I gain alot of power/strenght at once and I (sometimes) is able to lift my whole arm.
When I have done this the rest of the body folows pretty quick. I am now free and can breath. As I now have controll over this, still I am scared of getting back into sleep, what will happen next? Is it a dark power turning me down and it will now come back stronger? Making me paralyzed for maybe 15 minuites?
Eventually I get to sleep and wakes up in the morning, feeling good.

All this happens about 1 time every 3rd/4th mounth. It never comes like 5 nights a row or something.

I wonder if there is anyone here who have experienced the same feeling, or feeling is abit false to say cuse I can´t actually use my arms. They are stuck!
But it would be fun to hear more about this. My friends can not recall that it has happend to them anytime but my mother tells me she had the same thing when she was at my age, but maybe not so intence. I am 18 atm.
It was also her who helped me with the trick of using my finger at first.

Happy sleep everyone :D
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Problems with stun in sleep.

Postby thefight on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:01 pm

I am actually doing a paper on why ghosts don't exist and this came up in my paper. Some people think that they are nighttime demonic attacks, but really they are just Nocturnal Panic Attacks, and this sounds a lot like what you are experiencing.
TicTac wrote:need cat 4 cuddles. not rape.
thefight
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ShinobiWan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Its called sleep paralysis. You get it when your body falls asleep before you mind does. I had this exact problem before. When i was training my body to lucid dream. I became so good at it that even though i was asleep, my mind never got rest, and as a result the side effects were sleep paralysis, it took me a long time to get over it and i wish you the best of luck. Its a super strange experience and you can completely hallucinate while its happening, i saw my dead grandfather trying to posses me once while it was happening. Didn't sleep for days after that one.
ShinobiWan
Regular
Regular

Postby stoopdapoop on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:14 pm

ah yeah, sleep paralysis, it's a real bitch. My father and I have it very frequently but we're effecting in slightly different ways. The way my dad is affected is similar to the way you're affected, he wakes up unable to move, or speak or anything, can only move his eyes.

But I rarely wake up paralyzed, what happens to me is that as I lye down to fall sleep I can feel it slowly creeping onto me. And it's the strangest sensation to slowly lose control of all of your muscles. The earlier I try to "break out" of it, the easier it is (and the less time it takes). But it's absolutely terrifying, especially the first few times it happens.

Good news is that it's somewhat common, even if not well understood condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_para ... cteristics

Edit: ahh, shinobi edged me out by a few minutes.
Last edited by stoopdapoop on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MNM on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:15 pm

When you're at the dreaming stage of your sleep, your muscles are paralyzed.
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Kremator on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:17 pm

I get this from time to time but usually only when I'm very exhausted.
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby BubbleQ on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Oooh thanks guys :D Yeah it must be Sleep paralysiz. I searched for more info about it and it is indeed a quite interesting experience. Can't imagine how I did react the first time I got this or anyone for that.
I think I gonna look more into it. I don't know yet if it comes random for all the people on the earth, but apperently about 20% off students in America and Asia has atleast once or twice experienced it. Though I think something special must be behind it, something with the personality :?
Anyway it feels great to finally know what it is. I seriously started to consider if it had to do with mind made up powers inside me, almost like schizophrenia. That I had get myself to believe an evil power was fighting me. Got no idea what it wanted to do, more than bring me down and if I beat it, it would get back with stronger attacks. Hmm, maybe not really what I thought but in that direction, that is true^^

@ShinobiOne
I looked up Lucid dreams on youtube and such god damn that was cool! Am seriously gonna give it a try. I don know why but it feels like a skill I need or want to have. Have no idea of how it will affect the paralisiz though.
But why did you started with it for the first time? Did you feel it was negative with your mind getting no rest (obviusly it must be :))? Also is there any possibilities that you will get sad when you return to reality, that you miss thing in your dream. That it can trigger depression when you have lost someone near or so?
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:59 am

I have tried to train myself to lucid dream also. Its quite amazing, and i tend to do it every 2 weeks or so. As for this waking up paralyzed. Only once have i experienced it. I initially thought it was a demon attack "roffle". It was like every thing was spinning and something was pinning me down. Scariest thing i've ever experience. None the less, its only happened once and it really really terrified me. But its basically sleep paralysis as every one has said. :)
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ark11 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:41 am

It's weird that although we sleep almost ever day, no one knows what falling asleep feels like (as in the moment you go from awake to asleep).
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:48 pm

It is quite odd. But I bet you get super powers.
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Smurftyours on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:43 pm

BubbleQ wrote:Lucid dreams

Can become wet dreams very, very, quickly.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:31 am

Whats the best way to lucid dream? I really really wish i could lucid dream xD. I can only do it partially.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:32 am

the real shitty thing is when you get a charlie-horse in your leg. That's when you get a deep piercing pain/cramp that typically originates at the back of your leg, right behind the knee and on the calf. OOOOOhhh, that fuckin' sucks.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:07 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:the real shitty thing is when you get a charlie-horse in your leg. That's when you get a deep piercing pain/cramp that typically originates at the back of your leg, right behind the knee and on the calf. OOOOOhhh, that fuckin' sucks.

And when you're woken up at 4 am with the sound of a phone ringing... :cry:
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ShinobiWan on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:28 am

jangalomph wrote:Whats the best way to lucid dream? I really really wish i could lucid dream xD. I can only do it partially.

When i was training myself to lucid dream it took me a very long time to get things right and a lot of practice. Still i would not recommend doing it, its very unhealthy as your mind will never rest.

I started out by traing my mind to remember dreams better, by keeping a dream journal, writing every little detail i could remember the very moment i awoke from a dream. This helps your brain establish a memory bank for dreams instead of just forgetting them constantly, this leads to being able to recognize when your dreaming.

Pick a trigger, something extremely familiar to you, i used clocks, or my hands. If i thought i that i might be dreaming i would look at my hands, at which point would generally be all sorts of fucked up, one hand would have 2 giant fingers, while the other hand would have a fractalized cactus pattern with thousands of tiny spiraling fingers. Looking at clock i would see all the number completely scrambled, upside down, mirrored etc.. with the hands going in different directions. Books are a good trigger as book pages will be numberd in a completely random order with all the words scrambled and randomized.

Once you realize your dreaming you can think your surroundings and situation into fruition, like your painting with your mind, it is one of the most beautiful things you will ever experience in your life because at that point you are pretty much god, if you will it hard enough to happen it will happen. The key at that point is to try to keep your fantasy rolling without letting your sub conscious take back control, lucid dreams for me would usually lasted no more than 30 seconds before the sub conscious took over but i slowly became very good at it, and in turn my health and social life suffered. I lived in a house at the time that i thought was haunted, several people had died in it and it was generally in a state of strange funkiness. Lucid dreams started to become a nuisance as i couldn't get any real sleep and they would last for hours, extremely entertaining until a massive wave of sleep paralysis would hit you and you open your eyes to your grandfather pulling your soul out of your chest with his bony hand.

Is it some strange gateway between the spirit dimension or something? no clue, probably not, but its still terrifying.

The last step to make them more frequent is to change your diet, i was experimenting with eating certain things before bed, mainly different types of vegetables. I found that eating beans in some form or another before bed would greatly increase the vividness of any type of dream, therefore bolstering the ability to lucid dream. I would eat a whole can of black beans and head straight to sleep.

I stopped all of this a long time ago so i could get rid of the sleep paralysis and i haven't had it since. But i do have reoccurring nightmares which include that damn house and its funkiness, it always seems to be cobbled up from what would seem to be junkyard scrap, dripping with water everywhere, molding and rotting away around me. Its quite terrifying.
ShinobiWan
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Serious Discussion