Nah.

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: The "Slut" movement

Postby Mr. Happy on Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 am

I think the fact that this slut movement can even exist is a testament to the death of chauvinism.
Last edited by Mr. Happy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Astral Serpent on Wed May 11, 2011 6:11 am

[Offtopic][First post, just registered because I thought this thread was interesting and was looking at mapping tutorials]

I agree with the following people:

[frank] wrote:People keep saying rape.

The cop said victimised.

I sure as hell have been victimised (as a man) in the past, but I haven't been raped.

Hows about we stop extrapolating something that quite possibly is not even the intent.

@simpletool: Men have a lot of other issues on their plate. You can't go "Here is a list of things women face, men don't face them, so women are obviously worse off and can therefore be excused".

Using the whole rape idea, going out at night is definitely stressful for women, but it is so too for men. Men being assaulted at night is, I am sure, more common than women being raped. Being punched in the face obviously isn't the same as being raped, but it sure as hell isn't something that can be brushed away, and is definitely a huge fear to many people.

Or, we go with this career and social expectations. Men are expected to be bread winners, have a successful career. Sure, sexual favours or how you dress, barely comes into it (other than appropriate attire, which is purely what women too should wear, but I won't start the appropriate debate), but you still have the same stress of pursuit and social pressure.

Have you ever seen how men are portrayed in media? Either as uber-masculine muscle men, rich business (and/or smart) men, or a combination of fat, greasy, ugly, "poor" men. Try and fit that.

I'm not trying to remove the horror of rape, or the issues women face, but to lessen them as a crutch for an argument, when many similar issues are faced by men. And I am definitely not trying to pardon any rapists.

Mr. Happy wrote:You are only oppressed if you let yourself feel oppressed. I've always believed that you should act how you would in an ideal world because that's how we make an ideal world. Women shouldn't feel intimidated buying contraceptives, for example. If someone gives you shit, tell them to fuck off! If they press it, spray em with mace! Grow a spine. The culture of victimization is a self perpetuating one, if you feel victimized, you are victimized, but if instead you say fuck that and stand up for yourself then all the possible outcomes are better, then you win, even if you die.

I'd say the popular culture is on the side of women, the courts, the media, the organizations. How much political and educational rhetoric is devoted to this topic? Tons. But there's still a few assholes, backwards ass people that stand out as being assholes. We notice the people that intentionally make us uncomfortable, but you don't notice the thousands and thousands of other people just like you that are in the background. I think the fact that this slut movement or whatever can even exist is a testament to the death of chauvinism.
Astral Serpent
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby kkirspel on Wed May 11, 2011 7:22 am

Astral Serpent wrote:[Offtopic][First post, just registered because I thought this thread was interesting and was looking at mapping tutorials]

Damn bot almost fooled me... luckily he forgot to close his "Offtopic" tag :smt018
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby IMUS on Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 am

Most rape victims are sexually assaulted(sex as a weapon) by someone they know, like 90% with 10% being by an unknown, of course this is of the reported rapes.
IMUS
Regular
Regular

Postby MNM on Wed May 11, 2011 7:54 am

kkirspel wrote:
Astral Serpent wrote:[Offtopic][First post, just registered because I thought this thread was interesting and was looking at mapping tutorials]

Damn bot almost fooled me... luckily he forgot to close his "Offtopic" tag :smt018

He would have fooled you without it? :lol:
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby kkirspel on Wed May 11, 2011 8:00 am

MNM wrote:
kkirspel wrote:

He would have fooled you without it? :lol:

Yes, yes he would have.
Highlight to read:
:jingle: sarcasm...
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed May 11, 2011 8:41 am

guys... he's not a bot.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Astral Serpent on Wed May 11, 2011 9:14 am

stoopdapoop wrote:guys... he's not a bot.

I can confir- Error on line 27392, shutting down.
Astral Serpent
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Saxon on Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 am

-
Last edited by Saxon on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Mr. Happy on Wed May 11, 2011 1:51 pm

All women experience some sexual assault, but how that's defined isn't very clear since the benefit of the doubt is of course given towards the woman's feelings.
Last edited by Mr. Happy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby kkirspel on Wed May 11, 2011 8:23 pm

stoopdapoop wrote:guys... he's not a bot.

kkirspel wrote:
Highlight to read:
:jingle: sarcasm...

Though I did think it was funny he registered just to fully quote 2 previous comments.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Ark11 on Wed May 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Hmm, theres this poor arab country (i forgot its name) and there when a women gets raped she is found guilty and goes to jail, not the man (or men) because the women is found guilty of being 'irresistable'. Think about that.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby source-maps on Wed May 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Ark11 wrote:Hmm, theres this poor arab country (i forgot its name) and there when a women gets raped she is found guilty and goes to jail, not the man (or men) because the women is found guilty of being 'irresistable'. Think about that.

damn straight, horrible joke of course.. all I'm saying we don't have it that bad here in the west :)
so if someone will make a comment like that police man did just let him and get on with your lives.. I'm sure he's not the only guy in the world that thinks in such manner and it's just an opinion that he is entitled to

anyway, like so many in this thread already said.. the comment in no way justifies the actions of man, but common sense also tells us you shouldn't bind the bacon to the cat XD I dunno if that 'saying' works in English.. it sure as hell does in the Netherlands
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MayheM on Thu May 12, 2011 12:17 am

I have never heard the expression but I like it... maybe because bacon is delicious!!!
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Saxon on Thu May 12, 2011 9:19 am

-
Last edited by Saxon on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Discussion