Trying new things.

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Trying new things.

Postby nub on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:34 am

So I've begun branching off in to other genres of music to create. I just got done with this track in particular, which is "lo-fi" (low fidelity). Lofi is basically deliberately making samples low fidelity to give a song a distinct sound. I've only heard it accompanied in down tempo songs, but I'm sure it's used in many other genres.

I've always been a fan of trip-hop songs, especially those made by "The Rain Crow", who I strongly recommend you look up (he's on Acid Planet). There's a song of his called Ear Knots which basically inspired me to make this song. His work alone is what got me in to psychedelic music, and I've never seen a better artist.

/psychotic admiration

Anyway, this song is simply me just experimenting with lofi and down tempo. It features things such as pausing and distortion effects to give it a weird style. I'm still pretty new at this kind of thing though.

Enough chatter, here's the song. I recommend headphones, but if you have a subwoofer system, it has some big bass in it. :D

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1289179&t=7196

PS: If for some reason the player on Acid Planet decides not to work for you, you can listen to the song on my Myspace

Enjoy.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Trying new things.

Postby Hollow on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:41 am

not bad man. I had a listen to the track (and the others) on your myspace.
I'm not much of a lo-fi fan, but it's pretty good! :smt023

However, I found I was more interested in the song 'Morpholo'. Dude, I really liked that one.
Could I possibly do a remix? I would love to play around with ideas based round that song structure :D
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby nub on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:37 pm

Yeah sure, go ahead.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:46 am

coolio. I will have summin up sunday! :D
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby RawMeat3000 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:29 am

This track is some easy listening while I'ma modellin' and texturin'. I've listened to it probably 5 times now.

Your music just gets better and better with every song you make.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby stoopdapoop on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 am

I listened to some of the stuff you posted a while back, I didn't like it too much, so I didn't post, but I like this a lot more.

Don't know if that means you improved, or if you just made something that matches my tastes a little better. But hey, the others seem to like it too :)
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:52 am

I'll admit that I'm not the best artist. However, I think the reason is because I don't use the potential I probably contain. I only use my computer and Fruity Loops to make my music, whereas most talented electronic artists use additional hardware like synthesizers and recording equipment, and probably know how to play physical instruments to boot. I never learned any instruments growing up, so I can't do any special recordings for my songs. I'm stuck trying to find some good samples then sequencing everything together with Fruity Loops. I'm very limited as to what I can do.

That's not to say I haven't improved, because I know for a fact that I've improved greatly over the years I've been making music, but I think the momentum has just slowed a lot.

The reason I don't try and get new hardware is because music isn't my priority in life. I love making it, but it's simply a hobby. I'm pretty sure you all know what I really wish to do for a living.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:39 am

Yeah, that's why I feel less 'shackled' to the DAW when I need inspiration. I can just pick up my guitar or play my keyboard for ideas. Growing up from a musical and artistic background, I find it easier to understand melodies and harmonies, and ideal song progression. All the 'natural' aspects of music production. When it came to me recording these ideas, I struggled a lot. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so when it came to mixing and tracking my songs, I found myself adjusting the EQ and noisegates and compressors, every time I loaded the DAW up. Not even fully understanding what they do. Then get frustrated that it sounds like crap once I came back to it.

But now, I've had a year's experience, and am doing a related course, gotta say, sooo much easier to nail the mood or the flow of the song. I write and create ideas all the time, every single day. But this is also Mainly down to the fact that this IS my passion and I push myself till I know the song is worth it. game design is joint second along with graphic design/illustration :-D

I would suggest learning a bit of MIDI programming/sequencing. If you get your self a MIDI keyboard, you open yourself up to multitudes of ideas. Because you can sample, patch, play, sequence ANY sound from a keyboard. you can route VST instruments to it as well, meaning, ridiculous amounts of synths, string instruments and sounds to control. You don't even need to know how to play a keyboard (it helps) as every DAW has a MIDI editor to manually adjust notes. I'm not sure if Fruity Loops is part of any Digital Audio Workstation, is it a standalone program? If it is, then i suggest trying something like REAPER, which is a free DAW. And I'm sure F.Loops is compatible with it. Even if this is your hobby, It's nicer to make things easier for yourself when inspiration hits.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Phott on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:32 am

I know nothing of music like this, but I gotta say that this lo-fi really sounded good, all in all it was good, but I think that there was little focused on the melody and a lot focused on drums, maybe that's how it's supposed to be? I do think that this is something I could listen to while mapping though, just like with your other stuff, good job.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Meathead on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Very nice man love the bass with my 7.1 :D Music would be good to use in a action part of your games or mods with the credit of nub :D
Meathead
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:33 pm

I can't see this fitting in an action sequence but my music is "podsafe" meaning you can use it in anything so long as you credit me. I'd prefer being contacted about it but it doesn't really matter.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby polycruncher on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:00 pm

I really like it. Nice work.
-applaunch 420 compile every day
polycruncher
Regular
Regular

Return to Media