Care to help a fellow loper?

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Care to help a fellow loper?

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:14 am

Hey what's up interlopers? I know I don't post much anymore, but I'm always lurking. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to see if any of you would be interested in helping me out with an online contest. Recently my band won a local battle of the bands contest to advance into a national stage which is determined by online voting. If we finish in the top 3 bands, we get a free trip to LA for the final round!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0EjbVCu7f4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMhPlvzupJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gasz8AlMmFY

There's links to the songs we've recorded since I joined the band, that way no one has to vote without at least knowing what you're voting for.

Well, if you can and want to vote I'd really appreciate it. You can vote once per day, per computer. Currently we're sitting at Number 1 in the standings, but I feel like there's a couple bands from larger cities that will have an easier time than we will once the voting really starts to get going. You vote at http://www.rockyourcampus.com, and our band (for those who didn't click through to a youtube link) is called the Louisiana Street Band.

I'll be checking back on this thread, so if anyone's got any helpful hints or constructive criticism for the band I'd really appreciate it! Thanks again 'lopers!
All in all you're just another brick in the wall
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Re: Care to help a fellow loper?

Postby whiffen on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:52 am

Ooo thanks for that, I really enjoyed Girl I've Been Looking For and the others. I voted for you guys.

Anywhere you can download/purchase the songs?
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks man. Unfortunately we don't have anything up for sale/download yet. We intend to get into a studio at some point. If you want I could get the actual mp3's from the member who does our current recordings with a usb interface and some mid-level quality mics. I'll post a link here when I do. Thanks for voting, I really appreciate it. Some of the other bands there have some quality recordings up, so I know we'll need every vote!
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby LordDz on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:48 pm

"You may vote once a day"
Time to start making spam bots heh?

Great music btw, get it up on spotify! ;)
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:44 pm

Haha, I've got no idea how to set up spam bots. But even if I did I don't think I would. If we start to drop below the top 3 I could always just beg reddit on the off chance they decide to use their ultimate internet powers.
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:24 am

I have no way of determining if it's because of Interlopers voting, but at this point my band is still ranked number 1. If you did vote I'd really like to extend my thanks to you. If we get to the final round, everyone is welcome to come to the epic party that will be thrown in my hometown.
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Update: Thanks to anyone who's been voting. We've fallen to number 3. It would seem the bands from California and Virginia have figured out a way to really get the votes going. We're uncomfortably close to number 4, who's just one guy with a guitar.
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Good news! We had suspected some of the other bands were cheating after they managed to occasionally get 5000+ votes in a matter of hours after having less than 5000 votes over the course of the first week. We inquired with the representative from General Mills if they had any sort of fraud prevention in their voting system. We got a very legalese response that General Mills was denying that it was possible to vote more than once per day per computer.

So I decided to prove them wrong. They weren't keeping track of IP addresses, and it was easy as setting your homepage to the band's voting page, then having firefox always start in private mode. Open firefox, vote, close firefox... repeat. I sent General Mills instructions on precisely how to do this, and last week they decided to just reset everyone's votes to 0... citing "voting irregularities." After cheat proofing their page a little bit and scaring the other bands straight we're now in the lead with almost double the votes of the next closest band. Being honest actually paid off for once. We'd instructed our fans not to game the system from the outset and now it looks as if we have a VERY good shot at making it to L.A. Thanks to all the interlopers who have been voting!
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to Media