Coding Resources

Grab your favourite IDE and tinker with the innards of game engines

Re: Coding Resources

Postby davidc538 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:45 pm

Code::Blocks is a very good IDE that it seems no one here has discovered yet, in my opinion it kicks the crap out of Dev-C++
davidc538
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ChopperDave on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:50 pm

Code::Blocks is a very good IDE that it seems no one here has discovered yet

Oh, I'm positive others have discovered, they just choose not to use it (or mention it).

Can you re-edit your post to include a link to the download?
ChopperDave
Rockstar San Diego

Postby davidc538 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:23 am

sorry, I've been using Code::Blocks for quite some time now for tools and such and I can promise that its much better than Dev-C++(4.9.9.2 anyway, they might've updated it sometime recently), its open source and is available for mac, windows and linux which will be good for some of the people using it to compile the source dedicated server(although i know nothing about that), here is a link.....hope someone finds this usefull

http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5
davidc538
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby TorQueMoD on Tue May 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Sadly every one of those websites referenced in the main post aside from the Valve Developer Community are now defunct. Seems interlopers is the only website left standing.
-TorQue[MoD]
Environment and Game designer
http://www.torquemod.com
TorQueMoD
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue May 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Is there anything wrong with MSDN? I know a lot of it is win32 related, but a lot of it is general C++

msdn.microsoft.com
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Wed May 04, 2011 4:49 pm

stoopdapoop wrote:Is there anything wrong with MSDN? I know a lot of it is win32 related, but a lot of it is general C++

msdn.microsoft.com

Well, lets be honest, c++ can be written for Linux and Windows:

of all programs, >>90% ends up on Microsoft machines
of all c++ programs, > 90% ends up on Microsoft machines
of all c++ games/game related programs, 99% ends up on Microsoft machines.

What platform do we want to target? If you, like me, answered Microsoft machines, then it's simple: MSDN is the only, valid, resource there is. If you want to target Linux, theres various other general c++ resources like cplusplus.com (EXCELLENT tutorial btw), that borland site, almost all c++ .org related sites, etc.

If you want to target multiple platforms in c++, you are crazy. The precompiler directives will make you crazy if you aren't already 100%. Don't do that. Unless you need to make money and need a really, really fast code. Just go with Java if you can.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 am

Ah, alright.

And how must faster is C++ than java anyway? is it like a "twice as much work for a 10% increase" kinda thing, or is there a significant advantage to using C++.

I'm sure it depends on several factors, but is there any sort of general answer to this?

I'm thinking about say, minecraft, how much faster would it run if it were written in c++?
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Unreal_Me on Thu May 05, 2011 3:56 am

Java and c# have an extra layer of overhead to go through, as I think they both run through a virtual machine (JVM for java and .NET for c#. though .Net might be less of a JVM, but still adds some overhead). Both are also compiled as they run (Just-In-Time compiling iirc)
c++ is a bit more low-level, and just get completely compiled, and then run. It goes straight to something the OS can handle (which eventually boils down into something the hardware can handle)

Both languages also have a garbage collector that manages the memory for you. As nice as it is (and damn it can be nice) it adds more overhead to track objects and delete them as necessary (ie: no references exist to an object, it gets removed)
c++ you have the lovely job of doing this yourself. Which get's annoying when you don't know what you're doing any your process is taking up an extra 100kb every second >.>

c++ is used because it's one of the fastest performing OO languages, if not the fastest, and both DirectX and OpenGL are written specifically to work with it. Not only that, but because c++ is a lower-level language than java or c#, it gives a bit more control of certain things; especially things to do with memory management.
Higher level languages don't always allow you to go in and manipulate specific bytes the way you want it to. At least, not without bending a few parts of that language.

So long story short, c++ can be noticeably faster for complex programs when you know what you're doing.
Java and C# just allows you to develop things much faster. Especially GUIs. Godamn win32.
Minecraft wouldn't be that much faster in c++. A lot of it is in how the algorithms in the game are designed (which from what I heard could use some work)
Unreal_Me
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Unreal_Me wrote:Java and c# have an extra layer of overhead to go through, as I think they both run through a virtual machine (JVM for java and .NET for c#. though .Net might be less of a JVM, but still adds some overhead). Both are also compiled as they run (Just-In-Time compiling iirc)
c++ is a bit more low-level, and just get completely compiled, and then run. It goes straight to something the OS can handle (which eventually boils down into something the hardware can handle)

Both languages also have a garbage collector that manages the memory for you. As nice as it is (and damn it can be nice) it adds more overhead to track objects and delete them as necessary (ie: no references exist to an object, it gets removed)
c++ you have the lovely job of doing this yourself. Which get's annoying when you don't know what you're doing any your process is taking up an extra 100kb every second >.>

c++ is used because it's one of the fastest performing OO languages, if not the fastest, and both DirectX and OpenGL are written specifically to work with it. Not only that, but because c++ is a lower-level language than java or c#, it gives a bit more control of certain things; especially things to do with memory management.
Higher level languages don't always allow you to go in and manipulate specific bytes the way you want it to. At least, not without bending a few parts of that language.

So long story short, c++ can be noticeably faster for complex programs when you know what you're doing.
Java and C# just allows you to develop things much faster. Especially GUIs. Godamn win32.
Minecraft wouldn't be that much faster in c++. A lot of it is in how the algorithms in the game are designed (which from what I heard could use some work)

Truth, this man speaks.

Btw, source in Java would be horrible :)
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Terr on Tue May 10, 2011 10:56 pm

For performance... Let me put it this way: The innate performance differences between Java and C/C++ are often dwarfed by the bonuses/penalties you can get from good-optimization or bad-design in either one. If you really need to squeeze every last drop of power out, go with C/C++, but you seldom need to.

Also, note that Java does have some features that allow you to inter-operate with C/C++ code, so it's not necessarily an either/or proposition.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Stormy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:44 am

Everybody. Everybody look what I did.

Can I be a night of valve? With... you guys? Maybe get me one of them... hats?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby skoften on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Sublime Text 2 is a nice editor for linux.

Also: http://research.nvidia.com/sites/defaul ... uthors.pdf
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:03 am

that text editor looks very similar to one of the blender interfaces that ship with blender. Is this some kind of linux trend? Orange and dark grey?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby skoften on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:54 am

That's just a theme, you can change it easily. The power of Sublime Text lies in its preview mode on the right side, the ability to compile for example python scripts in editor and that its a free program :jingle:
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ScarT on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 pm

You can do that in Visual Studio too by the way :P
ScarT

PreviousNext

Return to Programming