Accessing Oculus features from Source SDK Base 2013 MP

Grab your favourite IDE and tinker with the innards of game engines

Accessing Oculus features from Source SDK Base 2013 MP

Postby SM Sith Lord on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:45 pm

I am using the -vr support that the Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer has. It works great, but there are a couple of issues I need to address with how the Source engine implements the Oculus SDK.

First of all, when ever I bring up a VGUI panel that has mouse input, the entire render area of the screen turns black. If I disable mouse input on the panel, the render area no longer has this issue. This is only an issue if -vr is active, otherwise it all works as expected.

Short video of the issue: http://youtu.be/khm5cJYb8KU?t=3m55s

Second, my program is like a 3D desktop and it launches other programs. Some of these other programs are VR games with Oculus head tracking support. The Oculus is only able to send head tracking information to a single program, so to allow for other VR games to function properly when launched I need to disable the head tracking features of my Source mod when the player launches his stuff.

Since I am new to using the VR support that Valve built into the Source SDK Base 2013, I do not know how to accomplish this from my C++ code. Can anybody give me some tips on how I would go about disabling/enabling head tracking support from within my Source engine mod?

Thanks for taking the time to read about my problems.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: Accessing Oculus features from Source SDK Base 2013 MP

Postby SM Sith Lord on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:36 am

I have solved all of these problems except for releasing the VR device so that other programs can begin to use it.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Vicpop on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:28 pm

What ended up causing the black screens?
Vicpop
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby SM Sith Lord on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:55 pm

I just had to modify CClientVirtualReality::RenderHUDQuad( bool bBlackout, bool bTranslucent ) to follow a different set of rules for when it applies translucent.

I've tried using CClientVirtualReality::Shutdown() to release the VR device, but no luck so far. Other VR games are still unable to capture the device.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Programming