PaulH - Level Design/Creation Updated: 31/07/12

Interlopers Portfolio section.

Portfolio rating

4.74 out of 5 (39 ratings)

You must be registered and logged in to rate a portfolio!

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Art/Creation Updated: 22/07/09

Postby thePrOpHet on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Some of the most amazing things I have seen. This stuff that I look at is inspiring me to get cracking on what has caught my imagination.
thePrOpHet
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Art/Creation Updated: 22/07/09

Postby thePrOpHet on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:14 am

I love looking at all the stuff on these forums, especially from people that have studied and taking university classes on game design. The work you produce is purely exhilarating and I aspire to follow the same path as you guys. Purely inspirational stuff.
thePrOpHet
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Art/Creation Updated: 01/09/09

Postby PaulH on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Thank you Prophet

I just updated with some Dirt 2 Images and scans from some initial reviews, seeing as today marks my 1 year anniversary at Codemasters :)
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Art/Creation Updated: 01/09/09

Postby Major Banter on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:06 pm

You work at Codies? Shit! That's the best developer around at the moment! Nice fucking work!

I'll be playing my pre-order soon enough!
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Art/Creation Updated: 04/09/09

Postby Hypey[UG] on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Wow. Your portfolio is amazing.

I was wondering, I'm 14 and in the future would like to get into the games design industry. I've picked double IT and graphics design as my GCSE'S. would you say these are good choices for a carrer in games design?
Hypey[UG]
Regular
Regular

Postby Habboi on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:34 pm

I know you asked Paul but I am in your position or rather was and I too picked both IT and Graphics for my GCSE's. They helped me get into my university for a games course. My uni also required english which funny enough was my third choice.

I chose these before knowing what uni I wanted to go to so heh, fate.

Oh and Paul I have a question, you worked on Dirt 2, what did you do, did you model the tracks or just design them on paper / PC? Also was this portfolio enough to get a job with Codey's ;O?
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PaulH on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Firstly, Hypey, Habboi is right in a way. Picking those courses is a good step, but they wont neccessarily teach you anything useful regarding games design. I for example did my A levels, then did one year of a HND in computing, which was more about putting computers together, and didn't teach me anything relating to what i wanted to do with my life, so i ditched that and went to uni to do a proper games design course instead. To get into the uni computing school they did want some evidence of me having done computing before, so doing this at GCSE and A level is good.

Basically GCSE's and A-Level's are all well and good, and its beneficial to do subjects related to what you want to be, and get good marks in them, but the way into the industry is to work in your own time with your chosen tools (Hammer, Unreal, Max, etc) and build your skills up solo, as school won't teach you that stuff. Is it actually Games Design you want to do, or Level Design?

@Habboi

I started by designing some of the tracks on paper, these were then drawn up into proper 2D's in Photoshop. Then i created (modelled) the tracks i was asked to (but these weren't the tracks i had done the 2D plans for, we swop and change around).

Basically what you drive on in game on the tracks i did is the actual 3d mesh i made for the road surface, unchanged. The textures on it and the environment around it were added in by the art team and made to look pretty, though i made a basic version of all that before it was handed over too, to give the artists an idea of how i wanted the track to look, where objects and trees were, key features etc

And the portfolio was a big help in getting into codies yea, the degree helped to catch their attention also, but at the end of the day if you submit an application and it has an interesting and varied set of images/videos on it, with evidence of your skills, they will overlook the fact that you haven't gone to university. A degree is just a plus point on your CV, and shows you are commited to your craft i guess.
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby Hypey[UG] on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks for the reply guys, they have helped alot.

I would like to do level design. At a gaming event in april I spoke to a couple for people from qantm college. They told me to get my skills up in more than one engine (in my case hammer and unreal) and to start building a portfolio from an early age. Obviously it takes alot more than being able to make a room look pretty but apart from what they had told me i was pretty clueless lol.
Hypey[UG]
Regular
Regular

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Art/Creation Updated: 18/12/09

Postby Hollow on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:44 am

A portfolio is a visual/audio/written presentation of your creative work. It is only really needed if you have either:

a lot to show, anything you have worked on in the modding community etc, I would say it has to be fairly good to be received well by the lopers community.

Or, if you are looking to get a job in the industry, it is something you have when you apply to studios or mod teams to get hired, or if you're just a attention whore and want to show off your work :P

But on here, it's a combination of both, It's just a nice public place to compile your work

look at this post by Blink on setting about creating your own:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17194

I should make one sometime in the future tbh...
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Art/Creation Updated: 31/07/10

Postby ExtraOrdinary on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:55 am

Whoa you are amazing, I have some questions for you. Where did you start your career and when, how old where you? and what engine did you start with?
ExtraOrdinary

Postby PaulH on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:01 pm

ExtraOrdinary wrote:Whoa you are amazing, I have some questions for you. Where did you start your career and when, how old where you? and what engine did you start with?

Hi and thanks (but i'm not amazing, still learning!) :) I started my career 2 years ago (in 3 weeks time) when I was 24, I started at Codemasters straight after finishing university, first game I worked on was Dirt 2.

I think the engine I started with was Worldcraft (now called Hammer) for Swat 3 and then went onto Hammer for Half Life related stuff and dabbled a bit in UnrealED too. I didn't start learning to model until I went to university and it was lucky I did learn because a surprising number of Level Design jobs don't require you to use an editor, you primarily use a program such as 3D Studio Max. Knowledge of the editors helps though as it provides you with skills to put on your portfolio, as well as general work examples and level examples.
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby skoften on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:35 pm

What engine does Dirt uses ? heh
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby PaulH on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Sorry, just noticed your post, it uses the EGO engine which is Codemasters' own engine, it runs all their racing games and a modified version of it is used for Flashpoint too
PaulH
Crytek UK

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Art/Creation Updated: 20/01/11

Postby benwilliams on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:08 am

Your narration is great. Thanks for the sharing.

Driving Game
benwilliams
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: PaulH - Level Design/Creation Updated: 05/02/12

Postby DeltaD36 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:53 am

Hello, Paul. Recently I have played on your Neotokyo map 'Shibuya' and I have noticed that there is a missing prop in the resturant titled 'nt/street_props/ntseat.mdl'. I did find this map on a server, so It might have not included that file. I'd love to have the map with out all the error signs in the Resturant. ^^

I've also noticed that your link to download the nt_Shibuya map here on your page does not work and may require an update. Please let me know if you can help me with the litle problem on your beautiful map!
DeltaD36
Dumpling
Dumpling

PreviousNext

Return to Portfolios