Jimonions - Level Design/Environment Artist

Interlopers Portfolio section.

Portfolio rating

4.38 out of 5 (8 ratings)

You must be registered and logged in to rate a portfolio!

Jimonions - Level Design/Environment Artist

Postby jimonions on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 pm

About me
I started using hammer Editor in 2010 to fulfill my needs for better maps in the multiplayer scene on gmod and continue to do so. I am very familiar with all if not most aspects of mapping and have sufficient knowledge of modelling and texture creation.
My UDK skills aren't up to par with making really great things yet but its getting there.

Website
I do not currently have a portfolio website.
My Picasa web album is where I post a lot of my work. Finished or unfinished.
https://picasaweb.google.com/112749119891313313688

Skills
Hammer Editor (Advanced), Source Particle Editor (Intermediate), Photoshop (Intermediate), 3ds Max (Intermediate), Maya (beginner), Mudbox (intermediate), UDK (intermediate), 3D Coat (intermediate)

Avaliability
I am affiliated with pixeltail games (Gmod Tower Devs)
If there is something you really want help with we can discuss it

__________________________________________________________________________________________

As I did not have a whole lot to work with and was unable to create my own content back when I started, my older work has a lot of custom content made by other individuals. I tried to give credit wherever was due when I released the maps. Thank you to those who put their work out for people like me.

Concept Maps

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Glacier

zs_offshore

ttt_gunkanjima

gm_pandora

ttt_frozen

ose_snowbound Just a small quick map for a firefight/base construction mod

zs_abstraction One of my most popular maps. I think it was the tropical scene that sold it.

Thanks for reading!
Let me know what you think in the comments, criticism welcome.
I realize a lot of my work is not based on realism, something I should probably work on to add.
Last edited by jimonions on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Re: Jimonions - Level Design/Environment Artist

Postby SotaPoika on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Your work look really nice, I like it alot! BUT, you don't have any links for your maps to download. Would be cool to test TTT maps and that ZS map too to see what kind of gameplay you have desiged there.
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby nub on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Portfolios don't necessarily need links to map downloads.

Anyway, your work is fantastic. I love your style. You have an uncanny knack for Source. The second and third pictures for zs_abstraction kind of bring the overall quality of your portfolio down though. They're still decent looking, but I think you should stick to your really detailed scenes for your portfolio, just for consistency. You should combine zs_abstraction and the night version in to one "segment" in your portfolio. Just use the first screens and compare the night and day versions. But leave out the indoor shots.

PS: Awesome oil tank explosion by the way. Looks really cool.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby snuffy on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:46 pm

One of the most impressive portfolios I've seen on here. What are you working on with pixelTail (if you're allowed to say)?
snuffy
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:55 am

Most of this is really awesome, great stuff!
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Stormy on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Man, you really get the most out of source, that mushroom forest map does not look like source at all. It's great to see so much custom content in maps, especially when it is used to such great effect. Are you all self taught?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby jimonions on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:31 pm

I used google and youtube to to search for problems. Mostly just toyed with hammer trying to make things I dreamed up in class.

I wasn't in any mod team at the moment, I didn't want to refuse an offer from a recognized group. Always something new to learn from other people.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby SM Sith Lord on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Great maps. You are good at creating engulfing environments. Screenshots look good.

Your concept maps are insanely awesome. I know they are not complete maps, but is there any place that I can download them from? I use a 3D desktop program that lets me put shortcuts to files and stuff inside any Source engine (Orange box) map. Those scenes you created in the Concept section would be AMAZING as a 3d desktop for me. Plz let me know if I can get my hands on them.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm

I am really digging the gunkanjima map because it sticks mostly true to the form and style of the buildings and decay from the real location, even if it does feel kind of small. That place is huge so to make it look recognizable (I recognized the area before noticing the name of the map) is really a skillful thing.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Some really well directed stuff there. I am primarily training to be a level designer myself but this is some inspiring work to look at. I think I started being a follower after seeing your concept art page a while back, and have steadily been keeping an eye out for your work. Keep it up, and continue to show people just how good Source really can be.
Epifire

Return to Portfolios