A devblog

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

A devblog

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:47 am

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but since I thought Website I said "This could go here maybe". I've been using twitter and the like to roll out some small design stuff, but I finally wanted to take advantage of a blog and post some tutorials on it.

Things entailing:
  • Programming specific features into the engine
  • Mapping esque stuff, including some of the knowledge I've gained over the past 3 mods I've worked on.
  • And general behind the scenes type stuff for my other projects. That and some philosophical ideas behind gameplay creation, design fundamentals, and overall types of design talky stuff.

I wanted to post this here because I wanted the devblog to be helpful for many other modders out there, and I thought Interlopers should be the first to know! Most of the stuff will take place going over my main mod: City17: Episode 1.

With that being said, any ideas on formats I should follow, or any suggestions for things anyone may want to see?

http://geardev.wordpress.com/ - The devblog url.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Re: A devblog

Postby Hamish on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:21 pm

In terms of format, I think that programming tutorials are best when they give details on how the implementation was figured out and what the more complicated blocks of code actually do. Too many times on the Valve Dev Wiki I've seen programming tutorial articles which have basically said "Copy this code". That's all very well for a mapper who just wants to implement some feature into his mod without learning to program, but as a programming tutorial it's not particularly helpful - especially to beginners.
Hamish
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: A devblog

Postby Terr on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Better yet, make separate types of posts and tag them appropriately. Some are "just code" and others are "tutorials". If you're not sure it's worth explaining something in-depth but want to share it, just post a code snippet, and if enough people comment you can always go ahead and do a larger piece.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to Web Design & Development