Finished writing my portofolio. Your toughts?

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Finished writing my portofolio. Your toughts?

Postby Fearlezz on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:52 am

Please tell me what you think about my portoflio I just finished writing
http://kimnehzaty.tk/

This is a temp host server and may be very slow.
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Re: Finished writing my portofolio. Your toughts?

Postby Gary on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:01 am

Failed to load.
Error: The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

Hopefully it comes back up soon.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Fearlezz on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:17 am

Did you try again? It works for me, just takes time to load.
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:36 am

Still dead for me, could be my odd connection, it's stopped me from going back to one of my old forums a while back.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Fearlezz on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:41 am

Thats really weird. What about this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/826204/portfoli ... index.html
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:09 am

You can host websites on dropbox? Interesting, but if you want something better but still free, I used to use 000webhost, worked well then.

As for the site, looks nice, I'll take a better look when I get back to my computer.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby BubbleQ on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:49 pm

I love the design. The theme has a really nice line through the whole website! I don´t think you should change anything, maybe ad some other patterns to the background, but it´s still good.
As for you mapping work those are really neat to, pl borax is unique and cosy :P
I can´t find any negative really... For me it seems pretty much perfekt as it is very similar to how I have planned a portfolio, though I will never make on :)
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Vilham on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:03 pm

The only thing I would suggest is getting someone who speaks English fluently to proof read your actual resume. It has a couple errors from what I saw in my quick look.

Also when I went to the resume page I couldnt use the links to get back to any other page.

Other than that it looks great.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby Fearlezz on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks guys, Ill send it to someone who speaks English fluently to correct my resume, thanks!
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby MayheM on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Actually before you do that,Let me just add a little something...

Technically a resume is a list f accomplishments, jobs, education, etc. What you have on the site is more of a "bio"; telling the story of what got you started and what you enjoy doing. Resumes are really brief with no real sentence structure aside from the opening which is normally called the "objective". So there are two options I would look at.

1. Keep what you have written (edited as stated above) and chance the home page link title to "Bio"
2. Write what is a more traditional resume and keep the current link title.

For me the first option makes the most sense. Most people looking at a level design website/portfolio do not want to read about your accomplishments, they want to see them. Thus eliminating the need for a resume in the traditional sense.

Ok now that I have that out of the way, the design is nice and clean and overall looks really good. You obviously have an eye for design. I would say it is strong and effective.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Fearlezz on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Im thinking of perhaps just changing the title for now perhaps cause I dont really have any accomplishments or jobs and I just started my education a few months ago.

I think it would make more sense to perhaps change it back later when I got more real field experience?
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby MayheM on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:02 pm

I agree with you completely. But honestly, your work showcases your ability far more than a list of things. People can pad a resume to make themselves look good, but if you have no skill in what you are doing, you can't fake it. You obviously have skill so no worries there...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 am

I'm really liking this portfolio. Great work, Great levels, Great photos. :smt023
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Fearlezz on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks, but there must be something that can be improved? Or any ideas to what I can add?
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby Mr. Happy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Fewer, slightly larger, screens. Use your three or four best screens from each and either to 2 columns by 2 rows or 3 rows by 1 column. Make it so clicking on "level design" or "art" will take you tyo the link. Put your DOB in a real format, not a format that only your country uses. I have no idea if you were born in october or august (not that I really care).

Do not put your picture or bio on your resume page, create a seperate "about me" that uses that info liek a resume's cover letter would. There are some blogs I rad that have had good tips for writing resumes I'll look em up later.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Next

Return to Web Design & Development