ASP.NET anyone?

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

ASP.NET anyone?

Postby Garrador on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Hello!

Are there anyone here quite familiar with ASP.NET (w/ C#)?

I'm only very familiar with C#, but have just started out with ASP.NET due to job-interview.
The question to this thread:

I was asked to create a graphical progress bar, that can handle async operations, in C# (not jQuery or the sort). I first started out with creating a seperate thread, and invoking events, but I'm quite sure this would not be the best way of doing this, as I have read a few statements randomly on the web saying so.

So, is anyone that familiar with ASP.net that they can offer a tip?
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Re: ASP.NET anyone?

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Garrador wrote:Hello!

Are there anyone here quite familiar with ASP.NET (w/ C#)?

I'm only very familiar with C#, but have just started out with ASP.NET due to job-interview.
The question to this thread:

I was asked to create a graphical progress bar, that can handle async operations, in C# (not jQuery or the sort). I first started out with creating a seperate thread, and invoking events, but I'm quite sure this would not be the best way of doing this, as I have read a few statements randomly on the web saying so.

So, is anyone that familiar with ASP.net that they can offer a tip?

Not familiar with asp (at.all.) but in plain C# I'd look for invoking if its a single thread/low priority we are waiting for, otherwise use a manualresetevent or even more complicated shit which i too rarely use to know how to use it without looking up :)
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Blink on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:45 pm

You might have more joy here - http://stackoverflow.com/ :-)
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 am

Btw there is nothing wrong with invoking (its easy and simple) but you are wasting cpu-cycles by the thousands. Not really what you would want if you have a high performance program.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am

I remember something about a async Worker Thread in C# which I used for my Ambilight project (continuous calculations about the average screen color). You might want to look into that. I don't have access to the project from the computer I'm working on right now, if I was, I would have posted some snippets.
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Garrador on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:26 am

THanks guys. I went with invoking on an async thread. Although, I'm not sure if the threadpool with the size of 250 workers and 1000 I/O op's per proc will suffice as much. But atm it's the only way I've figured out on how to do processing while being able to handle web-requests without blocking.
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Web Design & Development