several months of hard work! | Update 4

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

several months of hard work! | Update 4

Postby hessi on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:34 pm

in may 2006 warby and i started a little something. since this autumn we finished this piece of hard work. until christmas i will post some more screenshots to not waste all of our fireworks at one time.
download links: http://www.thomashess.net
take this small picture as a teaser!

more is about to come soon! :cool:

Update1:
as you might have noticed there is a brewery in the level. the brewery is one of the main hot spots. in the brewery is a flag that can be caputred only by at least 2 players. the consequence is that the brewery is really important for each team to win the map. there are 2 levels in the brewery so defending is a little bit easier than capturing. the use of grenades can eliminate campers from the 2nd level.

Update2:
the axis forces start on / near a destroyed bridge. they had been left in the city to defend it againt the allied approach. the spawn area is spawn camp protected. the bridge is a model that was made by warby. the area around the bridge is made of small models in a 3d skybox.

Update3:
this area is the second hot spot (compared to the brewery): the main street flag can be captured by at least 2 players. snipers and MGs have good places to defend or attack this area. for those players using automatic weapons like STG44 or Thompson we included ways onto the mainstreet from the buildings on the left. rushing out of the broken walls and quickly searching/taking cover allow those classes to capture the main street even if there is a sniper or MG.

Update4:
The name of the level hasn't been mentioned yet so let these screenshots denote it: dod_kolsch! Kolsch comes from Cologne's local brew called "Kölsch". The name dod_koln wouldn't be appreciated since people might expect the old koln level for the classic dod. The cathedral has become famous for being one of the only buildings that did survive the heavy bombings of the 4th biggest city of germany. So it was important for us to put something into the level that will make people remember it. The cathedral should be bigger to match its actual size in real world, but since this would screw the layout of the map we scaled it to ~70%.

I wish all of you a merry christmas and hopefully we can all enjoy this fine piece on a DOD:S server :)
Last edited by hessi on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
hessi

Postby Something on Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:35 pm

How did you get that type of lighting on the model?
Something
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Deh0lise on Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:02 pm

If it's brushwork it looks so good ><
Deh0lise
Regular
Regular

Postby hessi on Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:46 pm

warby made some hacks. basically its about using the diffuse map as a detail texture while the basetexture is the lightmap. when this thing is released as BSP you probably can take a look at the textures/materials sources.
hessi

Postby irt3hnubpie on Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:36 pm

Damn, it's so pretty, I don't want to destroy it in DoD: S :(.
irt3hnubpie
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Penney on Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:49 pm

looks great but how does it run? I've seen plenty of nice looking DoD maps that play like a parapelegic, all laggy and shit.

Hope it turns out nice though!
Penney

Postby nub on Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Holy hell I love your work. You and Warby have outdone yourselves. I've always been a fan of Warby's work as well. Too bad I don't have DoD:S...

PS: This is under construction, right? Why is it in the complete maps section?
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dissonance on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:47 pm

Something wrote:How did you get that type of lighting on the model?
That's exactly what I was wondering.

Hessi, I don't have DoD:S, so can you tell him to make (pretty please) a tutorial for that technique?
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby hessi on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:53 pm

well this map is actually close to be finished. graphics wise there wont be any big changes. it runs smoothly at 60fps on a amd 3500+ with a decent graphics card (7600GS or x800 or 6600/6800 nvidia chipset.

so i think people have no reason to complain about performance.
hessi

Postby hessi on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:33 pm

dissonance wrote:
Something wrote:How did you get that type of lighting on the model?
That's exactly what I was wondering.

Hessi, I don't have DoD:S, so can you tell him to make (pretty please) a tutorial for that technique?

a short tutorial:

1. create a model and its diffuse as you always would.
2. scale down the uv's so it equals 1/n of the UV space while n is a natural number. (for example scale the uv space by 1/8)
3. then give every UV shell (piece of polygons projected into UV space) a unique place in the UV space at 1/8 * n
4. when all uvs are placed correctly (no more overlapping pieces) then bake your lighting/ambient occlusion or whatever to this uv space.
5. create a material with a basetexture that refers to the lightmap/ambientocclusion
apply the diffuse texture from step 1 as a detail texture with the exact scaling of step 2.
6. done!

:)

i am on the Mac right now but later i can post some screenshots of the texture files.
hessi

Postby Forceflow on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:06 pm

Hehe, that's dirty ... and damn clever :)

Awesome looking map, I hope it plays nice !
Forceflow
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby hessi on Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:01 pm

i made an image to illustrate the hack. the example is the brewery kettle you saw in those screenshots!

hessi

Postby nub on Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Damn dude that bridge looks AWESOME! I love it.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Simon on Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:16 pm

looks nice

very creative with the spawn

but I would be a little more consequent with destruction and debris
Simon
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby rb_lestr on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:03 pm

HOT DAMN