HL2DM: Real Time Votemap Level (well polished)

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

HL2DM: Real Time Votemap Level (well polished)

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:42 pm

OB Leaf Particle Effect By: [FF]Assn.NTG56

In short this is a highly polished Vote Map Level.
The aim is to break just one of the many doors to Vote for a map.
The level has a build in "God Mode" feature so players can't kill each other.
There's a few hidden weapons to help break the doors, the more people breaking a single door the faster the choosen map will load/win the vote.

Install (simple)
To install download and extract all the maps in your \hl2mp\maps folder.
Load up HL2DM and run the map called: ob_gtamikes_vote_gallery_r1

Below are Screenshots and Videos

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

General Video Showing Graphics and Main Feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL0l-4Q0STU

Video Showing Features, E.G. If you don't have map installed on server.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzZQ35-D28

Have Fun! 8)
gtamike_TSGK

Types of polish. (Want to suggest more feel free to)
Falling Leaf Particles
Particle Sun rays through tree leafs.
Lily pads texture in water.
Realistic env_sun.
Refrecting water moving texture.
Nice light_environment lighting
Overlays for extra detail.
High quality Normalmaping texture with $envmaptint.
High quality $detail textures so textures look good up close.
High quality tree and bush models.
High Res Grass texture.
High Resresolution env_cubemaps for best reflections.
Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mapper since 2007 http://gamebanana.com/members/215600
gtamike_TSGK wrote:Innovation making new ideas come to life ¦)
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Re: HL2DM: Real Votemap Level (well polished)

Postby DonPunch on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 pm

wow, I remember these kinds of maps from tfc
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: HL2DM: Real Time Votemap Level (well polished)

Postby Hollow on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 am

Ok, so the particle animation of the leaves falling is nice, but you seem wayyyyyy too impressed by overly specular bricks. and a couple of hi-res grass textures, it doesn't look that 'polished'...but ho hum, it serves it's purpose.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Hellraz0r on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 am

It's a good idea mate keep it up, ignore the typical uptight bs some members of interlopers have today. Keep up the good work.
Hellraz0r
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:23 am

Hellraz0r wrote:It's a good idea mate keep it up, ignore the typical uptight bs some members of interlopers have today. Keep up the good work.

Thanks and I will :smt023
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Hellraz0r wrote:[...] ignore the typical uptight bs some members of interlopers have today.[...]

Don't start insulting people now just because you don't like criticism. Hollow was just giving some input, just because it wasn't positive doesn't mean it isn't useful.

And I agree with Hollow. While it's not plain, it doesn't appear as polished as the OP claims. At least not to the standards most here would place "polished" at. We are not saying it's bad, as it's good, just not pure win. And I'm sure the map will go to good use as it looks better than a lot of votemaps out there.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Gary wrote:
Hellraz0r wrote:[...] ignore the typical uptight bs some members of interlopers have today.[...]

Don't start insulting people now just because you don't like criticism. Hollow was just giving some input, just because it wasn't positive doesn't mean it isn't useful.

And I agree with Hollow. While it's not plain, it doesn't appear as polished as the OP claims. At least not to the standards most here would place "polished" at. We are not saying it's bad, as it's good, just not pure win. And I'm sure the map will go to good use as it looks better than a lot of votemaps out there.

I've now listed the types of map polish, if you or hollow want to input more polish ideas feel free to as that would be useful.
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Polished doesn't necessarily mean bad, just high quality. Yes, the map could be improved in many ways, but in terms of polish it's a decent job. It's functional and looks ok.

I will take the time to say that Hellraz0r's statement -
hellraz0r wrote:It's a good idea mate keep it up, ignore the typical uptight bs some members of interlopers have today. Keep up the good work.
- is a good reminder to not get elitist, but is also a little blind. There's a difference between dickishness and criticism, and without criticism nobody gets anywhere.

There's plenty to improve but the one thing I cannot fault Mike for is imagination. I think he'll improve naturally over time. Next time though Mike, try to really consider theme. You seem to have just chucked vegetation models into the area without much thought. Try using displacements, planning the area, getting some nice BSP and lighting sorted and so on before using models. The environment should try to stand on its own two feet without models in Source. Outside areas are bloody hard though, so keep practicing!
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Text_Fish on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:09 pm

There are some nice detailed textures in there. The thing is, you could have the greatest textures in the world but at the end of the day, if they're just used on a bunch of right angled surfaces the map's still going to look boring. In addition to displacements you need to add obtuse angles to the architecture to give the world a more interesting shape and that should also fix some of the bland lighting issues as you'll get a broader range of shadows. The specular on the bricks looks like someone just wrapped them in clingfilm. Try using it more sparingly. Water (I assume they're supposed to be wet bricks?) on a vertical surface would collect on edges and in crevices.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Hollow on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Hellraz0r wrote:It's a good idea mate keep it up, ignore the typical uptight bs some members of interlopers have today. Keep up the good work.

You may be an oldie like me, but clearly you can't stand to hear criticism of other people's work. I wasn't a dick about it.
It's a lot better than most tripe out there, and yeah I can see that there's been some extra effort put into bumpmaps and particles...but the scene as a whole doesn't look quite right. There's not much composition. Shiny bricks, very angular geometry with foliage placed almost in order to cover up this. It's a very easy and lazy thing to do by just spamming in props to a scene without much thought to simply cover up the cracks.
The lighting (which I'm a big stickler for), doesn't pop in any way. It's very neutral. you could really sell the scene if you had the shadows cascading down through the trees, creating that almost camouflage pattern on the floor and walls.
Bricks outdoors would never ever look like that. even wet ones. When concrete/cement/mortar etc get wet, they don't actually become suddenly that shiny, the colour actually darkens as the water is absorbed into the surface. But this is a vertical wall, so my question is why? There's no rain to make them that wet.

When I look at a scene nowadays, I try to look at it in a contextual way, objects and environmental conditions have to all mold into one overall feeling and atmosphere.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Hellraz0r on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:36 am

Hey mate I didn't say anything about me not liking criticism, don't assume something like that. I don't have a problem with criticism, I just don't like how a handful of todays interlopers members think they are the bees knees of level creation. This guy is obviously hard at work and yes still has a few things to work on but overly I think it's a good start.

Some of the comments these days make me so surprised to read, it's almost not criticism but a slight .. I'm not sure almost a personal attack sometimes (Not Hollows comment in this case however).
Hellraz0r
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Phott on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:59 am

Wow, personal attack? What I've seen here are talented people giving genuine constructive criticism. It may seem harsh, but coming from someone who pretty much started out here myself I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. No sugar coating.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:24 pm

ob_gtamikes_vote_gallery_r2

Update List:
Added: dm_ob_combat_house_hd_rc1 and dm_ob_battle_lobby_hd_rc1 to the gallery

Improved the graphics alot

Added: Nice bird background sound effects (Looping .MP3 Soundscape)

----> Download Link (Aug 13th 2012)
http://gtamike.tsgk.com/Temp_Folder/HL2 ... 12.rar.rar

NEW! Screenshots

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:59 pm

Single Map Download: http://forum.tsgk.com/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=8456 (17.55 MB)

Video: ob_gtamikes_vote_gallery_r2

Note to mappers
If you want to know how to pack particles into a map open my map
using "pakrat". View the packed files, even view the image inside
it has step by step.
Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby SM Sith Lord on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:47 pm

Very cool. You can tell a good amount of effort was put into making the map itself. The concept reminds me a lot of my Source mod, because it too lets you load other maps by interacting with pictures on the wall. :P
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Showcase