[CS:GO] de_veteran

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Re: [CS:GO] de_veteran

Postby ErikKiller on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:28 pm

You do not accept viable feedback. I won't play it because it lacks the aesthetics of looking like a modern game. But hey, I'm sure it plays great on CS1.6, I'll let you know how it plays when we do LAN some day.

Oh and maybe I stopped pumping out 2-day creation time maps because I know they look poor?
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Teh Frog on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:23 pm

ErikKiller wrote:You do not accept viable feedback. I won't play it because it lacks the aesthetics of looking like a modern game. But hey, I'm sure it plays great on CS1.6, I'll let you know how it plays when we do LAN some day.

Oh and maybe I stopped pumping out 2-day creation time maps because I know they look poor?

Again, proves your lack of actually reading the thread. I took Paul's feedback very well and actually applied his feedback in the planning of my next map (That's my curse, I have like 6 projects running at a time) because he actually gave analysis further than mockery and cheap comments.

>Trashes my map, has nothing to show for himself.
>I looked at your "maps" for garry's mod, if you can even call them that. And you think my map is blocky? Child, grow up.
But again, I do appreciate all of the contributions to level design you've made and how wonderfully they both look and play. So many great maps. How do you do it?
Contrary to popular belief, I am not actually a frog.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby marnamai on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:56 pm

marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ErikKiller on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Haha, thanks kid. The fact that nobody is giving feedback here means that you have too much of a Facepunch attitude. Leave this forum for the grown-ups, kid, and go troll on Facepunch, I'm sure you have many fans there.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Teh Frog on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:11 pm

ErikKiller wrote:Haha, thanks kid. The fact that nobody is giving feedback here means that you have too much of a Facepunch attitude. Leave this forum for the grown-ups, kid, and go troll on Facepunch, I'm sure you have many fans there.

Facepunch is no better. You're clearly not the type of loper I joined these forums to communicate with. The people that offer feedback and interesting ideas versus, "I don't like it for [Vauge reason here] but I'm also not going to offer ANY sort of feedback on HOW TO fix the problem, I'm simply going to discredit you entirely whilst having little-to-no work to show for myself." Your responses are painful to read on an intellectual level.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby Jeeves on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:21 pm

ErikKiller wrote: I'll let you know how it plays when we do LAN some day.

LOL. Aside from the jokes your showing your age there pal :-D

ErikKiller wrote: I won't play it because it lacks the aesthetics of looking like a modern game.

I second that as he's completely right. As you know, people on here may spend months working on a map. Most of that is artistic as most people will only play maps that look nice; discounting GG maps of course which don't really have to conform to any standard due to the audience.

ErikKiller wrote:Or to put in terms you can't defend: your map looks like shit.

As difficult as it is to not take this strongly worded statement personally -- you shouldn't; You're digging yourself into a deep hole for no reason: defending a map that is IMO -- forgettable. Interlopers has become an elitist community, and if you take stuff like this too seriously other people will do likewise.
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Postby Garrador on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:20 pm

PaulH' first post is very constructive and very true in that all his suggestions would benefit your design greatly. I too think it needs much more to look natural and meaningful, as well as interesting.

Take it from him, as multiplayer maps in crysis both play very well, and looks fantastic. The engines differ in power and flexibility, but the fundamental design "rules", if you will, still apply.

So, I'd iterate on your design following his guidelines and suggestions and you will come to see they help. Working on constructive feedback from quality designers is a great resource and you should use it.

If however you fail to realize that your design could be much better, you will have a hard time _getting_ better.

I'd drop the defensive and ask for more suggestions and feedback as you work on the design further! We're all here to both criticize, suggest and comment on your work (mostly constructive).

Good luck with it, and be sure to post updates to reflect.

Regards,
Oyvind
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SM Sith Lord on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:16 pm

People pointing out things that they don't like should be all you need to start thinking of ways to make it better. It's great when somebody offers suggestions on how to fix a problem, but just identifying a problem and confirming that they SEE it as a problem is very valuable in itself.

Btw, I think this thread has already been beat to death. I already saw these guys kiss and make up in another thread.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ThePain on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 pm

This is why I still stick around.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Teh Frog on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Garrador wrote:If however you fail to realize that your design could be much better, you will have a hard time _getting_ better.

Oh, yeah, I know that the aesthetics are lacking and admitted that previously. I'm good as far as layout comes, the map is rather fun to play, just need to work on the whole feel and look of the maps I make. I'm planning another map alongside a L4D2 campaign that I've been wanting to do for about two years. The thing I like about L4D maps is that, I don't know, I feel more free with them. I can focus SOULY on aesthetics and not so much on strategic layout, aside from finale and crescendo areas, which gives me more time to make everything look and feel nice. Take my Mansion Survival map for example. Looks miles better than de_veteran because I built that map with aesthetics on the forefront. Granted, that map has it's problems (Made over a year ago and was my first ever real attempt, but even so I feel it's much more polished than this one.)

Example: http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=18606

Someone playing it. (They have custom models and sounds.)

The Smiley Face in the sky is an easter egg. There's a button somewhere in the map (hidden of course) that triggers it. Just something silly I put in.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby SM Sith Lord on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:15 pm

I just wanted to say I felt offended by the statement "focus SOULY on aesthetics and not so much on strategic layout" when talking about L4D maps. :P
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Teh Frog on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:47 pm

SM Sith Lord wrote:I just wanted to say I felt offended by the statement "focus SOULY on aesthetics and not so much on strategic layout" when talking about L4D maps. :P

Let me clarify, I focus MORE on aesthetics lol. I don't have to worry about where potential choke points will be, where good sniper nests and rotate points will be, or how to layout the map so that both teams have a fair chance at taking sites lol. I do focus on tactics a lot on L4D maps, but there's a lot less effort in planning tactics for a L4D map versus, say, a competitive CS map lol.
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Postby SM Sith Lord on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:18 pm

I haven't made a Survival map before, but a good choke point for a campaign/VS map would be like a bus or other sort of catwalk the survivors must run across. Then, have a smoker pit on the sides where if a player gets smoked off, they gotta run all the way around to climb up and try to get across the catwalk again. Even though stuff like that seems most likely in a VS game with human controlled specials, sometimes the AI understand traps like that as well, which makes for some epic gameplay.

The affect is a very tense & suspenseful moment where all the players huddle up on 1 side of the catwalk, then all try to rush over it in unison.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Sadist on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:15 pm

Nice looking map, from the topdown view looks quite balanced and quick to get to the action.
Sadist

Postby Teh Frog on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:44 am

Sadist wrote:Nice looking map, from the topdown view looks quite balanced and quick to get to the action.

Thanks! :)
Teh Frog
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Showcase