[HL2:EP2] The Masked Prisoner

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

[HL2:EP2] The Masked Prisoner

Postby m.anderson on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:07 am

"The Masked Prisoner" explores the untold stories of several Half Life characters - taking place in a prison on the outskirts of City 17.

NOTE: The art fidelity for this mod is only rough, 1st-pass quality. I simply do not have the time to polish the art and bring it to Valve standards.

Download location: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-masked-prisoner

Thanks to everyone on this site that contributed feedback to this mod. I'm sorry I'm not able to bring the art to a higher standard, but I just don't have the time and this engine is hella old and busted. The gameplay is completely finished though, with custom voice over and additional assets. Enjoy!

m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Re: [HL2:EP2] The Masked Prisoner

Postby Stormy on Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:52 am

m.anderson wrote:this engine is hella old and busted.

It is :(

Haven't played the mod yet, will report back when I'm done.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dr Evil on Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:06 am

I just played this, and I thought it was pretty good :) :smt041
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Gambini on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:14 am

This looks quite good. I´ve downloaded it and will give it a go tonight or tomorrow. I still kind of feel guilty about my review for your Outpost 16 mod, I remember being quite harsh with it even when my intention was to be objetive. I later played that mod you did as a test to apply for a level designer postition at ID or something like that. That one played a lot better, it was a great small map in fact. It´s a shame you didnt have time to polish this mod. I think that´s the part of the level design process that I enjoy the most. If I had a mod at this state, I couldn´t wait to give it the required art pass. Just thinking out loud :D will share my impresions here once I´ve played it!
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby m.anderson on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Gambini, don't even sweat it man. I look back at Outpost 16 and cringe. The design was crap, even though I'm still proud of what I did for my first map. I realized it's still good to be ambitious when you're starting out so you make as many mistakes as you can - as early as you can. Harsh, objective criticism is the best thing for any artist/designer. It always stings at first, but it makes your work so much better with time.

I would have loved to polish the mod, and I agree it's a really fun process. I just wanted to devote all my energy to making a completely solid gameplay experience this time. Hopefully another engine comes out soon with tools to let us map with some current generation FPS tech :)
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Gambini on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:17 am

Played and finished. I insist on it being a shame to let this work unpolished. Both combat and layout ranged from good to great, with a noticeable increase in quality near the ending. I really liked the progressive, COD-like gameplay, even if I don´t like COD. It felt great on this mod and somewhat reminded me to Long Year Alarm. Some assault schedules ended abruptly though, leaving cops standing still, offering their bodies as cannon fodder. I know for first hand it´s something difficult to avoid and/or fix, but considering you went all for gameplay experience, they should have been revised.

The combine outpost was a bit abstract but no big deal. I really liked the new voices and how well the girl did Alyx. It is a shame you didn´t include subtitles, some of us still need them :D

SPOILER The final revelation was the cherry of the cake. Good work!
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Stormy on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Hey I played your blockout and was so impressed. Too bad you're not going to be polishing it up. I'm trying to download this new version from moddb but it's giving me a 404 not found.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby m.anderson on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:09 am

I think the 404 error is a moddb issue. First time it's happened. If it's still an issue tomorrow I'll see if it needs to be re uploaded
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby planetphillip on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:42 am

m.anderson wrote:I think the 404 error is a moddb issue.

It#'s freely available over on my site: http://www.planetphillip.com/posts/the- ... ife-2-ep2/
http://www.planetphillip.com
Finishing Half-Life is just the beginning!
Single Player First Person Shooter Maps and Mods for ALL Half-Life games
planetphillip
Regular
Regular

Postby m.anderson on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks for taking the time and effort to present and host the mod Mr. Marlowe! I was kind of reluctant to spread the hosting because I still feel like going back and improving the mod further, once I take some time off. However I can always do a re release if that ends up happening. Thanks again!
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby planetphillip on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 pm

m.anderson wrote:Thanks for taking the time and effort to present and host the mod Mr. Marlowe!

Please, call me Phillip. And you are most welcome. I looked in the readme and there wasn't anything about not hosting the mod, so I went ahead.

Don't worry about the consequences of updating the mod, I will either create a new post (if it's significantly different) or just update my post.
http://www.planetphillip.com
Finishing Half-Life is just the beginning!
Single Player First Person Shooter Maps and Mods for ALL Half-Life games
planetphillip
Regular
Regular

Return to Showcase