Poly Limit Challenge 1 - Spaceships

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Re: Poly Limit Challenge 1 - Spaceships

Postby stoopdapoop on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:37 pm

vcool wrote:You should've called this a Tri Limit Challenge if it goes by tri limit. ;)

I am trying to optimize right now but that means I have to get rid of half the polys which is proving to be rather difficult to do.

You really think so? If you strategically remove faces then you can lower you "polycount" by a huge amount even though the amount of trianges being rendered remains the same, In 3D, polygons are always triangles, unless they're explicitly defined as quads. polygons with more than 4 points are always divided into trianges. Whether it's a game engine, a production renderer, or even a spline model (which is divided up into trianges right before being rendered)

And nice model delta :D

I was just calling you out :P
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Black Sheep wrote:I did the halo Longsword
This is my first time entering one of these
Please tell me if I did something wrong

So far I see; you did perfect.

And there are no current rules for tri/poly-challenges ( as far as I know ) only speed challenge. ;)

stoopdapoop wrote:
And nice model delta :D

I was just calling you out :P

Ok ;D
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Well earlier in the thread Woe Kitten was told to change his render from the orange color to a shade of grey, so I think you should too delta. It wont hurt the render that much, the model is what counts in this.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 pm

stoopdapoop wrote:
vcool wrote:You should've called this a Tri Limit Challenge if it goes by tri limit. ;)

I am trying to optimize right now but that means I have to get rid of half the polys which is proving to be rather difficult to do.

You really think so? If you strategically remove faces then you can lower you "polycount" by a huge amount even though the amount of trianges being rendered remains the same, In 3D, polygons are always triangles, unless they're explicitly defined as quads. polygons with more than 4 points are always divided into trianges. Whether it's a game engine, a production renderer, or even a spline model (which is divided up into trianges right before being rendered)

Well I already removed half the tris but I still got over a 1000. I found some odd places here and there to get rid of them.

The fact that I have a 1000 polys (or 2000 tris if you wish) actually befuddles me since the model is just a bunch of extruded oblongs. I think the primary poly hog is the sphere.

Yeah, I just checked it. The sphere itself is 1100 tris. What a shame. And it's only 16 sided. In a regular challenge I'd probably make it 32. :P

Oh and btw, what part of my post were you referring when you said "You really think so?". If it's optimizing, yes, I do. I can delete the backfaces, and I will probably have to, but to me it feels like cheating. Without doing that I think it's pretty hard to get rid of tris which for the most part are parts of quads made by extruding odd cubes. I can't really make anything simpler than quads. And as I've said before, I have that nasty 16 sided sphere which I can only optimize by deleting it and making a new sphere. That'd mean I will have to vertex manipulate again and it'll take me some time.

If you were referring to my title changing suggestion, yeah, I think it would make more sense to call it Tri Limit Challenge. As you've said, I can have a 1000 polys but have 2000 tris or 50 000 tris. I know the OP does specify that it's tri count but I just looked at the title and didn't really pay attention to the word "triangles".

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Woe Kitten on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Finally found time just before bed :)

1000 tris exactly (where's my cookie?)
1 hr

Woe Kitten
BioWare

Postby WhiteDevil on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:01 am

This is my first time I join your challenges, liked the idea so much :)
I made a viper from battlestar galactica

tris: 998
polys: 502

WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby vcool on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:08 am

Hello, Dave.

Polys: 461
Tris: 980
Verts: 669
Time Spent: ~1 hour 40 minutes. (including render time) This is the time I actually worked on it, not including random forum spammage and sleep and food and court, etc. Yeah, I went to court today.

I am sure you all know where this is from.

vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:28 am

I'm afraid I can't let you do that, vcool. :lol:

Kidding, it's perfect.

And WhiteDevil, it's good to see a new face around here (and a sexy model!). Welcome.

My entry:

Weighing in at 998 triangles and made in around 2 hours, I used this as a reference:

http://staff.ccpgames.com/redundancy/de ... aracal.jpg

Also the rules thread is finally up.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby Dr. Delta on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:27 am

So this will mean re-rendering for me.

- Only one material is allowed. Meaning you can't have one object be opaque while another is transparent.

Wire frame rendering with a different colored wire frame is allowed, I suppose?

[offtopic]

vcool wrote:Yeah, I went to court today.

Why did you have to go to court? D:

[/offtopic]
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby meshed on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:57 pm

Sorry for the late entry guys, my PC killed itself 5 times in a row during startup

Rawmeat a couple of posts ago you said that we could post multiple renders provided that it was in one image, right? Would this be alright o' mighty overseer of the models? :D

If its too elaborate i'll just post a simple render.

The High Orbit Personnel transport for Planetary Entry and Reconnaissance, otherwise known as the HOPPER was designed and built by UED Aerospace Systems Ltd. to be a fast and lightweight military craft ideal for scouting missions and orbital patrol. Since its decommissioning in 2065 and subsequent release for commercial use, the HOPPER remains to this day the most widely used variant of the LX series and still remains popular among pirates, mercenaries and recreational hobbyists

sorry but couldn't resist being a retard and writing a bit of info :D
Last edited by meshed on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
meshed
Regular
Regular

Postby Phott on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:59 pm

meshed... I love it, that's absolutely awesome
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:45 pm

meshed wrote:Sorry for the late entry guys, my PC killed itself 5 times in a row during startup
bla text bla bla

How many tris?

Oh yea, it looks Awesome :O
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Awesome indeed.

[ot]I went to court yesterday as a babysitter and a would-be translator for a case between my parents and the house builder faggot who built an absolute shithole that somehow managed to pass the Ontario housing laws. At first our lawyer and our translator (my parents don't speak english that well) didn't show up. They just didn't come, and we couldn't reach them. So I was to translate to my parents even though I have nigh zero knowledge of juridical english and tbh I never understood and never bothered to understand the legal process. 15 minutes late our lawyer showed up, as well as the translator who looked as if she was boozing for the entire fucking weekend. I got to leave, thankfully, but instead I had to babysit my 1.5 year old sister for 2 hours. Fun.[/ot]

vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby srredfire on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:41 pm

I was thinking about MAYBE entering, but then Meshed got up in this bitch, and I was like "Aw hell yeah that's fucking cool man" and stole the show. So now I'll take all the effort I was going to put into my model and put it into my vote for him, unless someone else comes along with something even cooler, which I doubt.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:11 pm

vcool wrote:Oh and btw, what part of my post were you referring when you said "You really think so?". If it's optimizing, yes, I do. I can delete the backfaces, and I will probably have to, but to me it feels like cheating. Without doing that I think it's pretty hard to get rid of tris which for the most part are parts of quads made by extruding odd cubes. I can't really make anything simpler than quads. And as I've said before, I have that nasty 16 sided sphere which I can only optimize by deleting it and making a new sphere. That'd mean I will have to vertex manipulate again and it'll take me some time.

If you were referring to my title changing suggestion, yeah, I think it would make more sense to call it Tri Limit Challenge. As you've said, I can have a 1000 polys but have 2000 tris or 50 000 tris. I know the OP does specify that it's tri count but I just looked at the title and didn't really pay attention to the word "triangles".

I was referring to the title change suggestion. I can see what you're thinking, in that polygon is a more general shape than a triangle, even though we're asking specifically for a triangle. but in realtime rendering the term polygon is always used colloquially. Here's something that has no practical exceptions when somebody needs a model for a game, and they give you a polygon count, they're talking about trianges, and more complex geometry gets triangulated. So yeah, any time you see polygon mentioned for budgeting reasons, it will always be referring to triangles, whether it's in this community or a professional studio.

srredfire wrote:I was thinking about MAYBE entering, but then Meshed got up in this bitch, and I was like "Aw hell yeah that's fucking cool man" and stole the show. So now I'll take all the effort I was going to put into my model and put it into my vote for him, unless someone else comes along with something even cooler, which I doubt.

:'(
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling Challenges