Speed Challenge 20 - Odor (Vote & Final Images)

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Spare a vote?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 pm

RawMeat3000
71%
vcool
12%
Duke Nukem
18%

Total votes : 17

Speed Challenge 20 - Odor (Vote & Final Images)

Postby RawMeat3000 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:08 pm

The lack of participants lately is getting discouraging. Even my blatant attempt at trolling Interlopers with the word odor had no effect on the popularity of this battle. I'm thinking I might postpone the next challenge. Maybe for a month or two.

But even so don't forget about the suggestion thread. I'll still be needing topics.

Here are the odious entries

===============================================================================================

RawMeat3000

Tris - 44,296
Time - 1 hour 20 minutes

vcool

Tris - 136,886
Time - 2 hours 50 minutes

Duke Nukem

Tris - 12,763
Time - 2 hours 10 minutes

RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Re: Speed Challenge 20 - Odor (Vote & Final Images)

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:11 pm

I would be more willing to join if they were simple objects or categories instead of these abstract themes. I always think of something that's way beyond my modeling ability with these abstract themes and never get around to even trying to make it.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MuffinKing on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 am

these challenges give you the freedom to create whatever you want. You can choose to model a simple object if you wish. How does constricting what the model can be make you more willing to participate?

xfire = muffinking :D
MuffinKing
Regular
Regular

Postby Zipfinator on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:08 am

I like having the challenge decide what to make for me because as I said if it doesn't I think of things that I have no idea how to model.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby coder0xff on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 am

It would be nice to have something like a novice modeling challenge. It doesn't even have to be judged/voted - but perhaps something like, "aight n00bs, this month try modeling a hand and post your work here." For me, one of the biggest issues in becoming a better modeler is not knowing what to make/feeling like there is a point. I think it could provide direction and motivation to people who aspire to one day join a real modeling challenge.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dark_veil on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:12 pm

coder0xff wrote:It would be nice to have something like a novice modeling challenge. It doesn't even have to be judged/voted - but perhaps something like, "aight n00bs, this month try modeling a hand and post your work here." For me, one of the biggest issues in becoming a better modeler is not knowing what to make/feeling like there is a point. I think it could provide direction and motivation to people who aspire to one day join a real modeling challenge.

fo sho!
dark_veil
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Duke Nukem on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:54 pm

coder0xff wrote:It would be nice to have something like a novice modeling challenge. It doesn't even have to be judged/voted - but perhaps something like, "aight n00bs, this month try modeling a hand and post your work here." For me, one of the biggest issues in becoming a better modeler is not knowing what to make/feeling like there is a point. I think it could provide direction and motivation to people who aspire to one day join a real modeling challenge.

well, look at me. im a noob-modeller, but im trying it. and with every model i am learning a lot.

EDIT: Yeah, 3 votes :D ...new record!
Enjoy your Kartoffelsuppe!

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Meotwister on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:33 am

Something like the Daily Sketch Group on Concept Art forums or the one on CGSociety would be cool.

They're just like themes that people go and post their versions in, just for the sake of getting better. Voting in that case would be entirely optional.

I've thought about joining in one of these just for practice, but I also tend to overload myself sometimes hehe. I hope it's not too long before the next one though.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby RawMeat3000 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:42 am

I had a look around the Concept Art forum and saw the way they do challenges. And honestly I think we should try it. But I never liked the way the CGSociety does challenges, where you create an entire thread for your own entry.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Return to Modelling Challenges