The Official Interlopers "Map Pimpage Thread"

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: The Official Interlopers "Map Pimpage Thread"

Postby PaulH on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Text_Fish wrote:I emplore you not to sweat the small stuff, unless the sole purpose of creating that map is for people to examine static screenshots

Agreed, is this just a scene or part of a level? If it's a level get the gameplay down early on and don't worry about the thickness of the trims on the buildings, just have them as simple blocks

In the second screenshot that random broken concrete section stands out and draws the eye to it immediately, seems a bit odd that the earth would have forced its way up in that one spot only. If you plan on this place being overgrown/abandoned consider spreading out the effect rather than having it focused in one place:

Text_Fish wrote:in which case you need to move to the Unreal Ed

Other engines are available! :)
Last edited by PaulH on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby Major Banter on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Is it single or multiplayer?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cz_squishy on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:55 pm

PaulH wrote:Agreed, is this just a scene or part of a level? If it's a level get the gameplay down early on and don't worry about the thickness of the trims on the buildings, just have them as simple blocks

Gameplay is planned/sketched out
PaulH wrote:In the second screenshot that random broken concrete section stands out and draws the eye to it immediately, seems a bit odd that the earth would have forced its way up in that one spot only. If you plan on this place being overgrown/abandoned consider spreading out the effect rather than having it focused in one spot:

Now that you mention it, it does seem a little out of place. It was supposed to be a pot hole so I'll move it to the side or something.

Major Banter wrote:Is it single or multiplayer?

Singleplayer

Text_Fish wrote: so again you'd want to move over to Unreal.

I tried but couldn't get a hang of it plus I have 3 months before I ship off to basic
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Hollow on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:23 am

Gaahhhhh, so I put on some Trentemoeller tonight and sped through tons of work. Meaning, that yes, the layout is complete! (for the most part). Tomorrow night I just need to add a little whitebox detail to the T spawn and play around with cover positioning and chokepoint timings etc. Then it will be time to test!

Tried to draw an idea of the routes:

Two progress shots:

Please note that it is all currently placeholder. I will be modelling a lot of new props including some of the terrain!
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Major Banter on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 am

It's a bit dark, isn't it? I know Source screens are darker than in-game, but can you see enemies clearly in-game?

Also, bomb site near the CT spawn looks a bit easy for the CTs to defend, but I can see plenty of routes in. Looks good, Hollow!
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Oh don't worry about the lighting right now. I didnt enable HDR and I'm going to have the sun in a higher position. I know it does look dark currently. The CT's defending B will be slightly subject to change. That comes from playtesting. But you should note that maps like Dust, CT's start right next to the bombsite. I've allowed the route for T's to be faster for that bombsite, plus they can jump down the middle route to form an attack there. I'm going to be a bit busy this weekend, but I might playtest sunday. if not, all next week.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Will_B on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey Hollow I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering. I'm not sure how long you've been working on this map (its looking great already btw), but I've noticed you've already put a fair amount of detail in. Are you not concerned things might need to be drastically changed further down the road?

I'm also curious how you developed the layout, have you based it on reference material/ real life location or have you developed this layout and structure purely using your imagination?

Fairly generic questions yes but I'm always curious about peoples work flows.

Cheers
Will_B
Regular
Regular

Postby Saxon on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Spike wrote:Remaking my ze_Mario64 after a HDD crash 1 year and a half ago:
The spawn:

That's actually pretty badass, hopefully it'll fall into some good server rotation when it gets released. I like that you retextured the trees to match the setting - might I suggest recolouring the CTs/Ts as well? Would be somewhat amusing to see them wearing uniforms in the colour of Mario, Luigi etc :P
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Hollow on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Will_B wrote:Hey Hollow I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering. I'm not sure how long you've been working on this map (its looking great already btw), but I've noticed you've already put a fair amount of detail in. Are you not concerned things might need to be drastically changed further down the road?

I'm also curious how you developed the layout, have you based it on reference material/ real life location or have you developed this layout and structure purely using your imagination?

Cheers

Hey!
No problem.

This map has been a weird one. The original layout derived from a Field Zone SP map I was creating.
I had to jump ship when I started working on Canvas. Major Banter has since continued the mod under a new title by himself (hopefully he can use some of that level in some way :P)

I then converted it into a css map sometime end of last year, it was good fun but, I wasn't interested in the environment anymore, and the map had too many long sight lines.

I went about creating a new layout very loosely based on that original map, but a completely new theme, much tighter spaces to navigate and more height variation. This always starts from paper - basic overview layouts and designs - Improving on everything that didnt work for the original css map.

This went through a few iterations, and I finished 2/3 of the layout about 2 weeks ago in hammer. It took me a week of working on it for about 4 hours a night. I then took a break as my girlfriend was moving out of her London flat and going home, plus it was crunch time at the studio. I came back to it last night, put on some music and finished the final 1/3. It's good to leave something for a couple of days and come back to it with fresh eyes. It helped me see exactly what I wanted to do.

I did an art test prior to finishing the layout this week (a few pages back) also to help visualise the environment.

I have a folder of about 120+ reference images (factories, warehouses, apartment blocks, alleys, powerplants shipping ports etc). I usually never base my maps off anything exact, but just take inspiration from the architecture of certain parts and craft it to fit the layout. I try and make the environment make sense as a functioning place. Do a bit of environmental storytelling. Ask your self questions about why that would be designed like that and if it makes sense within the bigger picture.

I have to say, since working at this studio for the last 5 months, it's sped up my work flow considerably.
Multiplayer maps are difficult because it needs balance, so it's much harder to design for.

Make sure you have a very strong idea of what you want going into a level. I'm known for detailing environments very intricately and paying attention to lighting and architecture more than most would (I came from a traditional art background), and you HAVE to hold off that and nail the layout and gameplay flow first. Something I had to re-teach myself.

But, put on some good music, work for 3-4 hours every other night and it should go smoothly :)
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Text_Fish on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Hollow wrote:I have a folder of about 120+ reference images (factories, warehouses, apartment blocks, alleys, powerplants shipping ports etc). I usually never base my maps off anything exact, but just take inspiration from the architecture of certain parts and craft it to fit the layout. I try and make the environment make sense as a functioning place. Do a bit of environmental storytelling. Ask your self questions about why that would be designed like that and if it makes sense within the bigger picture.

Top tip: I usually set up a slideshow of reference images on my second monitor whilst I'm mapping to keep the ideas coming!
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Will_B on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Hollow wrote:
Will_B wrote:Hey Hollow I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering. I'm not sure how long you've been working on this map (its looking great already btw), but I've noticed you've already put a fair amount of detail in. Are you not concerned things might need to be drastically changed further down the road?

Cheers

Hey!
No problem.

This map has been a weird one. The original layout derived from a Field Zone SP map I was creating.
I had to jump ship when I started working on Canvas. Major Banter has since continued the mod under a new title by himself (hopefully he can use some of that level in some way :P)

I then converted it into a css map sometime end of last year, it was good fun but, I wasn't interested in the environment anymore, and the map had too many long sight lines.

I went about creating a new layout very loosely based on that original map, but a completely new theme, much tighter spaces to navigate and more height variation. This always starts from paper - basic overview layouts and designs - Improving on everything that didnt work for the original css map.

This went through a few iterations, and I finished 2/3 of the layout about 2 weeks ago in hammer. It took me a week of working on it for about 4 hours a night. I then took a break as my girlfriend was moving out of her London flat and going home, plus it was crunch time at the studio. I came back to it last night, put on some music and finished the final 1/3. It's good to leave something for a couple of days and come back to it with fresh eyes. It helped me see exactly what I wanted to do.

I did an art test prior to finishing the layout this week (a few pages back) also to help visualise the environment.

I have a folder of about 120+ reference images (factories, warehouses, apartment blocks, alleys, powerplants shipping ports etc). I usually never base my maps off anything exact, but just take inspiration from the architecture of certain parts and craft it to fit the layout. I try and make the environment make sense as a functioning place. Do a bit of environmental storytelling. Ask your self questions about why that would be designed like that and if it makes sense within the bigger picture.

I have to say, since working at this studio for the last 5 months, it's sped up my work flow considerably.
Multiplayer maps are difficult because it needs balance, so it's much harder to design for.

Make sure you have a very strong idea of what you want going into a level. I'm known for detailing environments very intricately and paying attention to lighting and architecture more than most would (I came from a traditional art background), and you HAVE to hold off that and nail the layout and gameplay flow first. Something I had to re-teach myself.

But, put on some good music, work for 3-4 hours every other night and it should go smoothly :)

Thanks for the reply mate, most appreciated :) I need to work on being able to use reference more for inspiration rather than actually just copying it.
Will_B
Regular
Regular

Postby Spike on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Saxon wrote:

That's actually pretty badass, hopefully it'll fall into some good server rotation when it gets released. I like that you retextured the trees to match the setting - might I suggest recolouring the CTs/Ts as well? Would be somewhat amusing to see them wearing uniforms in the colour of Mario, Luigi etc :P

Actually, tree models are made by me too. I plan on packing some mario player models into the map, but don't know if they'll override the original ones
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Saxon on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:42 am

Spike wrote:
Saxon wrote:

Actually, tree models are made by me too. I plan on packing some mario player models into the map, but don't know if they'll override the original ones

Ahh I see, great job on modelling the trees then! Tree modellers are pretty rare these days.

Beware of packing player models into your map, I did just that with one of my past maps and it greatly bloated the map size - to the extent that it turned people off downloading it :\ It became about 40mb (I have seen some ZM/ZE maps that are 150mb+) but most people want really small downloads still, which is why lilapanic remains the most played zombie map.

I guess it depends how happy you are with download size?
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Spike on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm compressing all the textures, they all are cartoony, so no need to detail. 35 MB is ok for me, most zombie servers have fast DL, so not really a problem.
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dejavo on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Replaced old tree and made a continuation of alley. It might have cluttered the scene. Dunno though. Your thoughts?
Dejavo

PreviousNext

Return to Under Construction