The Official Interlopers "Map Pimpage Thread"

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: The Official Interlopers "Map Pimpage Thread"

Postby Gambini on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:56 am

haha love both things. The car map is great but the wiring poles are way too close to each other and the wires are too thick (you can use split units like 0.5 for width), also the part in which the car turns to take the bridge, you could lower the speed and move the pivot to the rear axis so it doesn´t look like its drifting. About the Blade Runner map it´s funny, but i had a half built scene of it that i was working on for a contest. I also love Blade Runner and you captured the scent of it in a quite great way. I can tell it´s Deckard´s Apartment.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby plagueofburia on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:58 pm

This is a small update on the progress of the Level.

All the nodraw textures are models that I need to create

I had to move the door because of the texture of the wall outside has changed, that in turn meant that I had to change the inside floors as well..

Where the plaster changes, I have an idea for a new type of combine wall, not designed yet.

I got many ideas for combine props like doors and some strange mechanical wall claws that pierce out through one of the buildings. Outside will be daylight inside will be some what dark. This one building is to play more like the Ravenholm level.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Jean Marcel on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Quick build with no hdr
Jean Marcel

Postby Lamarr on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:52 pm

~mystery
Lamarr

Postby Armageddon on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 pm

Get some mipmaps on those custom textures. Looking great as always though.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Rogerz on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 am

Hello all, new mapper/old guy here,

Did more work on CT spawn. I think I am satisfied with the result (the lighting is a bit off due to cordoning off this section to render) I posted this on my own topic, but I feel it would be better to do it here instead. The layout is sitting on that post as well as very early concepts for other sections.

Any criticism is greatly appreciated. I really want my first map to be at least decent. Thanks!

Rogerz

Postby source-maps on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:18 am

most important thing in csgo maps is obviously the layout, how does it play out and flow etc
so it's hard to critique on that

for the aesthetics, I would say.. use some color so it doesn't look like Koch brothers HQ :P

see how it uses similar textures but the colors pop better (imo) because of the use of colors (like the ambient blue from outside, and the 'warm' yellow from the artificial lighting)
see how these pics have browns, red, blue and yellows going on
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sarwia on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Due to moving I never got to update my map challenge submission for the mod release on planetphillip. I did do a lot afterwards like changing the general lighting and (A LOT) of optimizing. I've decided to keep working on it and then we'll see what will become of it.

Anyways - Judging from feedback earlier, people seemed to dislike the combine part of my map so I ended up changing it.

The second platform you reach now serves as combine controlled area with a GeoThermal-Generator (or something along those lines). There's a few bugs I need to fix in this area such as enemies doing weird poses during combat and a Hunter that never do what I want it to do (attacking early or not attacking at all).

I also removed the starting area where you see Alyx. I want to keep the sequence itself but I do need to refine it, so I've started a new area where this should take place, as well as some tutorial-ish activities. If anyone has any feedback or ideas, I'd greatly appriciate it :)

Oh, and one last question: Should I add the GravGun? Yay or Nay?
Sarwia

Postby ErikKiller on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Mmm smexy!
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby shadowmancer471 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Looking really good Sarwia, might give that map a replay on release. I enjoyed it a fair bit (bar the odd gameplay complaint in the combine sections).
Also I'd say you should definitely add the gravity gun.
Since the environment is mostly indoor gunplay, all the GGun would do is increase the number of meaningful options the player has when approaching an encounter. The feel of being able to use this weapon, above all the others, is kind of what a lot of the base game is based on. I think this allows the environment and the objects within it to have more meaning and player interaction, just adding depth of gameplay with little effort.
I want to get off Mr.Bones Wild Ride
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Postby Riomaki on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 am

I think the problem wasn't the Combine themselves, per se. It's more that there needed to be more finesse in unit selection. In my opinion, mappers should treat AR2 Combine with the same caution as Shotgun Combine. There's always a temptation to increase difficulty by giving all SMG Combine Soldiers an AR2 by the end of a map, but it's really not the best way to do it. AR2s can devastate players who have no suit energy. In Half-Life 2, this transition isn't complete until well into day 3, and most of the time the player has the Super Gravity Gun anyway. :)

I liked your entry, but I thought it had some pretty nasty difficulty spikes because of this. The multiple Elites at the base of the elevator, leading directly into a Gunship battle, was brutal. Another example was when you returned to the main subway station on that central stairway (on the opposite side of the fence) and had 7-8 Combine all standing around in the middle.
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby DerpyBlade on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Wow, Sarwia. That looks beautiful. Seriously amazing.
I can't wait to play that when you release it.
DerpyBlade
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby The A on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:08 am

Riomaki wrote:I think the problem wasn't the Combine themselves, per se. It's more that there needed to be more finesse in unit selection. In my opinion, mappers should treat AR2 Combine with the same caution as Shotgun Combine. There's always a temptation to increase difficulty by giving all SMG Combine Soldiers an AR2 by the end of a map, but it's really not the best way to do it. AR2s can devastate players who have no suit energy. In Half-Life 2, this transition isn't complete until well into day 3, and most of the time the player has the Super Gravity Gun anyway. :)

I liked your entry, but I thought it had some pretty nasty difficulty spikes because of this. The multiple Elites at the base of the elevator, leading directly into a Gunship battle, was brutal. Another example was when you returned to the main subway station on that central stairway (on the opposite side of the fence) and had 7-8 Combine all standing around in the middle.

I agree. The sudden spike of AR2 soldiers and Elites (coupled with the lack of autosaves early on) ruined the map for me. I also think some issues with optimization, node graph, and active enemies caused issues with the ai. It's a little know fact that AR2 soldiers in EP1 and EP2 are more accurate then in HL2.
The A

Postby [KIRBY] on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:29 pm

personally I like to treat AR2 elites like Chaingunners in Doom, those who played it know what I mean, and imbalance created by big amount of AR2 can be also reflected in Doom, more specifically plutonia.wad
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Riomaki on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Both of those are good ways to look at it. I wasn't aware that AR2 soldiers were more brutal in the Episodes and I couldn't find a reference in Valve's Github for it, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case.

Like Chaingunners and Shotgunners, they are the kinds of enemies you mix in with others. You almost never want an entire battalion of AR2 soldiers coming at the player. Because of their difficulty, I have a personal rule of letting Elites be the only carriers of AR2s, so they can be easily distinguished from the others in the same way that Shotgun Combine are. Otherwise, it's very difficult for the player to identify the most dangerous targets, since the SMG and AR2 Normal/Prison Combine Soldiers look identical. Everything flows logically that way. After all, Elites are supposed to be the highest ranking soldiers - they aren't going to waste an entire group of them on a narrow hallway in an apartment complex. :)
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Under Construction