I just played Aberration. My review is posted on Mod DB.
Long story short: I think is was a decent undertaking considering all of the shortcomings I observed. You have some nice brushwork and consistent level design, even if it is a little too straight-lined for my taste. You should consider this release to be a playtest, and just keep working on it. I think there are several ways you can improve. Most importantly (to me), I found it to be unplayable on Hard mode. I ran out of ammo a few times (enemies are beefier on hard mode, requiring more ammo) and I think 16+ soldiers and 2 hunters - all at once, without abundant health kits - is simply too much for Hard mode unless you choreograph the battle. You just dumped a bunch of NPC's into the blender and let them all charge in on the player.
1. Add better autosaves to all three maps.
2. Increase the amount of ammo found before the first soldier encounter. Playing on Hard Mode, I ran out of ammo several times while fighting the hunter and had to cheat to give myself extra ammo to continue the fight.
3. Increase the amount of health kits in the large arena battle. Facing 16 soldiers is tough enough to merit adding plenty of health kits to run for. Also, it would promote player movement around the arena to escape the attackers.
4. Consider adding more weapons during the arena battle. I would have loved to have more crossbow ammo or a revolver for long-range engagements...especially for the soldiers attacking from the balconies.
5. When I got into the elevator after the arena battle, there were still a bunch of soldiers wandering the catwalks and they suddenly ignored me. They should at least run away after I get on the elevator, or maybe even use the elevator as a way of trapping me for further combat. Shooting at them while riding the elevator without them shooting back or acknowledging me was strange.
6. I think you are borrowing way too much from Nightmare House 2. Sure, the elements used are pretty scary in their own right but there are a few effects that you blatantly ripped from NH2 that I think cannot simply be ignored.
7. The antlion cave were totally useless except as mediocre eye candy. No puzzle, no combat, no storytelling, no nothing. It seems like you could have done something really interesting with that map but got bored with working on the mod and included this cave as a cheap connector of corridors.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows."
- Ava WinonaCurrently developing in radio silence... 99 BoltsHere's another project of mine... Assault on OverwatchAre you new to Source SDK? VDC