Dada Museum

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: Dada Museum

Postby mazman34340 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:20 am

As I learned the basics of Hammer to help learn the basics of Maya and Unreal, I will keep learning Hammer. I prefer Hammer now since I have a chance to create content that may immediately be released to an audience.

Anyways, learning VisGroups and shortcuts but I need to make sure the game play is fixed. Back to testing. I just wanted to experiment with the visuals, because that's fun to me.

Also, should I now update my first posts with the most up-to-date info?

Image shows the game-play has not changed much. CT's may use two vertical routes to enter the central area as well as the three ground-level paths.

T's are limited to roughly three ways of entering the area.
mazman34340

Postby mazman34340 on Wed May 01, 2013 2:31 am

Map version 1.2 is under way.

-Vertical game play up to third floor
-Planned us of foliage and small cover to make a dynamic battle zone in middle of map.
-4 major routes around battlefield.
-Limited sniping positions, CQC, medium scale combat.

The main change is spacing so combat doesn't begin in five seconds.

Possible transition from open battlefield to a more CS_office styled hallway. With there already being a battle zone, the hallways will be easier to siege for balance.
mazman34340

Postby mazman34340 on Sun May 05, 2013 3:55 am

I might cancel this project for another. I had an idea a while ago for a map for North Korea, and it seems more interesting and unique vs. the museum. It will be based on this North Korean diplomatic retreat called the Taedong Guest House. You can see it on google earth. Looks like a menacing house eh?

It comes with guard towers on the perimeter, a large retaining pond, many rooms, surrounded by light hills, a view of the Taedong river, and a dam relatively close by.

Its a very, very interesting location.

Scenario :

Navy Seals enter via the Taedong River into the retaining pod. The Seals then raid the mansion to collect a VIP (or blow it to bits). It occurs during the final Korean war near Pyongyang so there is going to be alot of anti-aircraft fire and aircraft.

So, it sounds like a fun project and I can recycle the content I made for the museum. In addition, I have recently used an old map I made as a playground to learn the more advanced features of Hammer including track_train, particle emitters, water effects, custom sounds and textures, etc.. Soon, I can hopefully learn more advanced particle effects and dabble in night-time lighting.

I already have some assets for the level including a F-22 Raptor I made a while ago. Its made of basic geometry so it will be used in the skybox or high in the air.
mazman34340

Postby DonPunch on Sun May 05, 2013 7:05 am

You will get more out of just finishing a map then changing ideas. They all get boring to work on at some point, and your next one will too. Push through it.
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby mazman34340 on Sun May 05, 2013 4:35 pm

When launching the map in CS:GO, it loads, and it for a fraction of a second begins creating the navigation mesh but then it reloads the map. This process repeats to infinity.
mazman34340

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon May 06, 2013 6:22 am

I really find the name of your map (or at least the thread) to be peculiar.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby srredfire on Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 am

Dr. Delta wrote:I really find the name of your map (or at least the thread) to be peculiar.

The successor to this map will be the Mama Museum.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon May 06, 2013 6:17 pm

srredfire wrote:
Dr. Delta wrote:I really find the name of your map (or at least the thread) to be peculiar.

The successor to this map will be the Mama Museum.

If I didn't know what dada means/stands for I would probably agree, still funny though :>
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mazman34340 on Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Dada is a post-war art movement in Europe, the precursor of hipsters or the hipsters of the time, or whatever. Dada was randomly chosen from a dictionary to be the name of the movement. Its worth a look.

On a different note, http://www.ravensoftware.com/Downloads/ ... _final.jpg. .... ....

This is so cool! While I would rather work on the environment, this seems like a good opportunity for a good internship or at least a nice exercise. I'll inform my class about this, after I get a head start.
mazman34340

Postby mazman34340 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm

I started working on the map again, changing the visual look while adding some finishing touches to the alpha. I would say it is close to testing but I ran into performance issues. The map runs with the VIS, BIP, and RAD but the map crashes in-game when it generates the navigation mesh. It crashes when it generates 'game specific data'. Is there a quick fix to this issue?

Also, I am using the Telfair museum in Savannah as a main reference for the level. Do you think its possible for me to copy it's architecture, more specifically the ceiling beams, without it being to expensive in-game?

http://www.msafdie.com/file/1058.jpg

If I make it all func_detail, may I include it, or are there limits to func_detail?

mazman34340

Postby wereMole on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:53 pm

mazman34340 wrote:If I make it all func_detail, may I include it, or are there limits to func_detail?

You can turn func_details into models to suppress the brush count, right?
wereMole
Regular
Regular

Postby mazman34340 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Ive hit a roadblock. It keeps crashing when it produces the nav mesh. I would like the know the most common reasons for nav mesh crashes. I believe it crashes at the last step btw.
mazman34340

Postby ErikKiller on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 am

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... ion_Meshes
Everything is done in-game. Try deleting the old .nav and starting a new one. Also, limit the areas the bots can walk to from within the editor, that is, seal off all the places they shouldn't be getting to.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby mazman34340 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:11 am

So, if my environment is too open, as if the AI can jump off the map and into the sky box, it can crash. Or, if there is a group of flat traversal terrain that is almost accessible, it could cause crashes.

Do I seriously have to delete chunks of the level to find the glitch?

mazman34340

Previous

Return to Under Construction