[WIP] Metro2033 Custom map

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

[WIP] Metro2033 Custom map

Postby opti2000 on Wed May 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi all i just started working on a Custom Metro2033 map. Well its not a recreation from the original game just my own imagination how the other underground station may look like :)

I finished one station but what do you guys think about it? How can i improve the atmosphere much more?

opti2000
Regular
Regular

Re: [WIP] Metro2033 Custom map

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed May 29, 2013 11:00 pm

put all of this stuff inside a a concrete tube, major banter and i have done something like this before (banter is better).
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby opti2000 on Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:put all of this stuff inside a a concrete tube, major banter and i have done something like this before (banter is better).

This is a Metro station what you see here not a tunnel. I will do the tunnels later.

EDIT: can i see you what you guys created?
Last edited by opti2000 on Wed May 29, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opti2000
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks for the compliment joe, appreciated, but to be fair I never personally tried to create an atmosphere of habitation.

I would agree it needs a great deal of work however - it feels like you've made a box and filled it with vaguely M2033 inspired stuff - that's fine if you're a Gmod mapper and making something utilitarian, but I'd like to see more attention to the general design over the ok details. Where's the up/down crampedness? Where's the smoke, the cooking areas, the toilets, the water, the real vibrancy of colour? There's no feeling to the place, just vague homage. Give it some real life.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby opti2000 on Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 pm

Major Banter wrote:Thanks for the compliment joe, appreciated, but to be fair I never personally tried to create an atmosphere of habitation.

I would agree it needs a great deal of work however - it feels like you've made a box and filled it with vaguely M2033 inspired stuff - that's fine if you're a Gmod mapper and making something utilitarian, but I'd like to see more attention to the general design over the ok details. Where's the up/down crampedness? Where's the smoke, the cooking areas, the toilets, the water, the real vibrancy of colour? There's no feeling to the place, just vague homage. Give it some real life.

Man calm down this is the result of 1 day work xD I just tried to catch a little bit of the feeling from metro2033. Of course if i work longer on this it will get better :)

EDIT: Okay joe said you did something like this before. Can you give me some tips and tricks to improve the environment and all that stuff?
opti2000
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Wed May 29, 2013 11:31 pm

opti2000 wrote:EDIT: can i see you what you guys created?

I can't vouch for joe, but beyond what's on my Moddb page for Stroll I'm not willing to reveal anything I'm afraid. Sorry bro, but that's what you get for asking before a major media release.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu May 30, 2013 12:43 am

one aspect that strikes me about life in the metro is the high levels of clutter laying around from bygone generations. go look up pictures of hoarders and their cluttered trashy homes. collections of stuff, no place to put all your stuff, everything being cramped. you need to use props to effectively achieve that level of clutter.

another aspect that s me about life in the metro is the colors and contrast between light and dark. light is a precious and sought-after commodity in an underground world - you need to internalize that in the level design. a large number of light bulbs (especially halogen) dont make much sense in my opinion because after X years, all those bulbs will be burned out or broken therefore, lamps and firelight seem more accurate. on the flip side, when you can find excuses to use tube lighting, you should do so with the proviso that they be strangely colored, as if to lend some supernatural authority to their presence. pale purple, pale orange, pale blue, pale green, pure white. think of it like this: any metro station that still has bright lights throughout is sitting pretty high on the food chain (stations in the game be damned) and stations with more fire light seem poor and destitute, dimmer and darker as a consequence for their lack of bright light.

i also think you should practice with displacements. you can make some tunnels with inverted displacements, but they are pretty tough if you have never used them before. so practice with making some floor-like terrain inside an octogonal surface. then try turning the octogonal surface into displacements as see if you like it. texture choices are also very important, almost more important than the brushwork itself.

sorry but i dont have much more time to chat here, but keep it up. you will get it eventually.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sakna on Fri May 31, 2013 12:08 am

here are some screenshots of a metro map i made

I stopped working on it before I could refine the lighting, cause it's pretty bleh right now.
sakna

Postby Mao on Fri May 31, 2013 1:01 am

Actually I think thats a lot higher quality than most maps in this style.
Mao

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri May 31, 2013 6:16 am

that is very impressive work, sanka. OP can learn from this. In the land of brush-based world-building, "Brushwork is KING".
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby opti2000 on Fri May 31, 2013 9:22 pm

sakna wrote:here are some screenshots of a metro map i made

[img]http://i.imgur.com/i4kuGYAh.jpg[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/zuqXD34h.jpg[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/kiSiv2y.jpg[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/hcALvl7.jpg[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/CGmzbrG.jpg[/img

I stopped working on it before I could refine the lighting, cause it's pretty bleh right now.

This is so awesome man!

You truly catched the feeling of metro2033!
opti2000
Regular
Regular

Postby opti2000 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:59 am

Okay guys now i put more passion and work in it. I hope this is much better than my first attempt.

opti2000
Regular
Regular

Postby Smurftyours on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:07 am

Looks a lot better
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Epifire on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:08 am

I would suggest getting another ambient contrasting color in there for your lighting to even the shades out a little bit. Other then that it looks like your on the right track.
Epifire

Postby Mao on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:48 am

Better but its still a little too bright I think, it's also... very flat feeling. Especially images 4 and 5.
Mao

Next

Return to Under Construction