[CS:GO] BlackGold

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

[CS:GO] BlackGold

Postby HoliestCows on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Hello, this is a map that me and mrtwovideocards have been working on for almost a month now. We plan to release it some time soon, but would love any feedback you guys could give. Thanks.

Designed as a tight, fast paced defuse map, BlackGold is set on top of an off shore oilrig. Take the role of Terrorists who have snuck on board and are planning to destroy the oil drill and crane, or Play as the Counter Terrorists flown in to stop the destruction of the Rig.

We're play testing it often as well, If you would like to come try out the map, send a PM or post here. We will also make posts of scheduled tests.

WIP

Last edited by HoliestCows on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoliestCows
Regular
Regular

Re: [CS:GO] BlackGold

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:30 pm

0/10, wouldn't download.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby SM Sith Lord on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:37 pm

Looks awesome. I want to take out my digital GI Joes and play gun fights all over it.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Stormy on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm

HC DIDN'T WE TELL YOU LAST TIME TO USE SOME COLOR VARIATION OH MY GOD IT'S SO BLAND AND LIFELESS
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MaK on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Does this follow the same layout as the BF2:MC map Black Gold, or is the name just a coincidence? I've always been a fan of oil rig maps. I find them oddly interesting and there seems to be a good lack of them because they're too difficult/confusing or require too much custom content.
MaK

Postby HoliestCows on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:HC DIDN'T WE TELL YOU LAST TIME TO USE SOME COLOR VARIATION OH MY GOD IT'S SO BLAND AND LIFELESS

Sorry, I just like brown, ill add some pink.

MaK wrote:Does this follow the same layout as the BF2:MC map Black Gold, or is the name just a coincidence? I've always been a fan of oil rig maps. I find them oddly interesting and there seems to be a good lack of them because they're too difficult/confusing or require too much custom content.

Coincidence.
HoliestCows
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Holy SHIT I am digging the colors. So awesome.

You aren't trying to go for the Mirror's Edge art style, correct? Regardless, having a neutral color throughout the map kind of like in ME would benefit the look a lot. It seems like you have some of that going on already with the concrete and such. I do feel like the large wooden crates clash with the rest of the colors though. Maybe new textures could easily solve that. For all I know they're placeholders.

Have you considered going for more orange than yellow? Orange and blue are supposed to be "complimentary colors," whereas yellows and purples go hand-in-hand. I definitely love the yellow since it screams industrial. Maybe a more purplish ocean and cargo containers? Just a thought.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:55 pm

To be honest mirrors edge really hadn't crossed my mind. Through it was probably an inspiritation in my mind sub consciously!

Having a ton of color was the result of me being bothered by how desaturated cs;go maps are. Oddly enough though, oil rigs are pretty colorful things in real life. I'm trying to contain the yellow and not go overboard with it. For sure it needs some more neutral tones in there.

Also on the color palatte: yellow is the primary color and blue is the contrast, whereas yellow to orange is a compliment shade, and any colors inbetween that transition. I'm limiting it to just those three colors.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby marnamai on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:04 am

I like it, but the yellow seems a little too vibrant/distracting from the screenshots.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 am

I'd suggest to limit the use of yellow a bit. Perhaps you should try, especially on the scaffolding like truss structures with catwalks, to make only the vertical parts yellow, like handrails and so on, while the catwalks themselves remain white.

The rest of it looks great.
Sathor

Postby HoliestCows on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 am

reference.
HoliestCows
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:50 am

I love the yellow. Full support of it. There is plenty of reason to have the yellow in both the real life rig and the game rig. I think your colour choices are great and seeing that M2VC had an actual thought process behind the choice reinforces that. Great work.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby HoliestCows on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 am

Black_Stormy wrote:I love the yellow. Full support of it. There is plenty of reason to have the yellow in both the real life rig and the game rig. I think your colour choices are great and seeing that M2VC had an actual thought process behind the choice reinforces that. Great work.

Okay fine! Ill add more color(but no really thanks :D)
HoliestCows
Regular
Regular

Postby Smurftyours on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:20 am

Whats with all the cargo containers on a platform that is clearly used for obtaining crude oil. If its an oil rig it should have more equipment and devices to harvest the oil, otherwise make it a cargo ship and the presence of the containers would be explained.

I do understand the necessity of some containers, but there seems to be many more than necessary. Perhaps use tanks?
Last edited by Smurftyours on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Stormy on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 am

Smurftyours wrote:Whats with all the cargo containers on a platform that is clearly used for obtaining crude oil. If its an oil rig it should have more equipment and devices to harvest the oil, otherwise make it a cargo ship and the presence of the containers would be explained.

Mobilization/demobilization of oil rigs involves shipping a bunch of shit onto the rig, unpacking it all and then getting rid of the shipping methods. It's possible the smaller components would be moved via shipping containers. It might not be sensible to have so many on the deck at one time but it's certainly within the realms of possibility.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Next

Return to Under Construction