Da_Highwire

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Da_Highwire

Postby Stormy on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:16 pm

People have been loving da_rooftops, which allows the players to fall from the top of a skyscraper while shooting each other - like an epic basejumping gun battle - and we have no other maps that capitalise on that. So I have been working on a new map and I am hoping to have it done for the steam release. I have the basic BSP done and am now working on adding in cheap details before I go in and really flesh out the interiors. Any tips are appreciated.

The map is based between two highrise buildings, one still under construction and one freshly finished and unfurnished but up for sale. For some reason an action movie shootout has erupted. WHO CARES! BANG BANG!

Pics:

This is the main area for the map, the part where the players will collide and enter epic superfalls. I kinda slapped down that scaffolding without looking at reference and now I'm skeptical about wether or not to keep it. I am also thinking of moving the buildings apart more and putting in high rise window washer trolleys on the completed building to allow the players to jump across. Also, anyone know what's going on with that door?

Bare construction site, waiting for details and stuff to dive/slide/shoot around:

The office space. I'm not sure about the red but I am going to put some posters on the walls yet which should break it up more. I wanted to introduce better colour variation to the walls as the aforementioned 'cheap detail' and a way to break up the surface BSP for better lighting/cubemaps.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Da_Highwire

Postby Gambini on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:42 am

For the most it looks good. I´d definetelly add things to jump down like those scaffoldings for cleaning the windows, planks that connect small sections with each other, high cranes with struts hanging, etc. About those scaffoldings you already added, I never seen them that flat, they´re usually like with the outside part upwards and covered with metal sheets so they trap small rocks too.

The door has obviously bad triangulation or the LOD that is being displayed (if there´s any). If it´s a custom model, split the face in 6 squares so ligthing can spread across smoothly.

This is the kind of crane I´d add:

And this is how i think protecting scaffolds should look like:
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Da_Highwire

Postby Stormy on Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:59 am

Yeah I totally forgot that I was going to add one of those tower cranes, cheers for reminding me. And you're right about the metal, I think I'll try to add a mixture of metal sheeting and wooden planks, but separately. I could use that to help distinguish different areas of the maps too.

The door is BSP, but it has been copied and rotated so much I might as well make it a model like the rest of my doors. Does BSP do that after a while? I haven't really gotten deep into the nuances of hammer and BSP yet. Honestly I'm afraid to devote too much time to it since it's pretty old nowadays.

I'll post up a bit more in a bit, I'm working in the construction site mostly right now from your suggestions, thanks man!
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Under Construction