[CS:GO] de_hospital under works

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

[CS:GO] de_hospital under works

Postby Rogerz on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 am

As I slip on the penny loafers and feed my fish, I great you. This is the map currently under works. The layout is kind of hard to decipher since there are a few paths stacked and it is 3 floors in size. I have started detailing the CT starting area:

The Layout (sorta)

CT Lobby Spawn Area

Hospital Front (very early stage)

From T Spawn (will be from an employee only garage)

Some other concept ideas:

There is a river that flows through the center of the map. Bombsite B is the skyway bridge connecting the main hospital with the urgent care, alleyway and garage. Bombsite A is a lab with 2 levels of entry, though it is far from completed. Any help, ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

One of the possible changes will be making a central hallway with breakable windows. This would allow access to the tiered flower boxes and waterfall I plan to make coming from the bottom of the skybridge. The river idea will end up being partially scrapped, however, it would still be visible on the northern side of the central hallway.
-Rogerz
Rogerz

Re: [CS:GO] de_hospital under works

Postby Rogerz on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:15 am

Did more work on CT spawn. I think I am satisfied with the result (the lighting is a bit off due to cordoning off this section to render)

Any criticism is greatly appreciated. I really want my first map to be at least decent. Thanks!

Rogerz

Postby cpl. punishment on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Before you get too far, I would suggest trying to find hospital layouts on Google, and trying to adapt those elements to your map. Please don't take this the wrong way, but from the map in your initial post, it doesn't really say hospital to me (maybe a clinic).

https://www.google.com/search?q=hospital+layout&biw=1600&bih=740&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ew4sVKyuCMupyATh24LgAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=general%20hospital%20layout&revid=1842140590&imgdii=_
https://www.google.com/search?q=hospital+layout&biw=1600&bih=740&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ew4sVKyuCMupyATh24LgAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=hospital%20layout%20design&revid=1842140590&imgdii=_
etc.

Don't be afraid to use reference images for your design. Even it you're not making an a replica of a real world building, it'll still help to get a feel of how buildings look and work together in a cityscape. For your hospital exterior, you may want to look at websites like this and see if any of those buildings spark your creative juices. Modern hospitals, from what I've seen, have a lot of glass, a lot of plaster, and occasionally some brick embellishments.

Your interior is too dark for a hospital (even in the shots in the first post). So, unless you have a reason in your map that the hospital is not lit (the T's destroyed power grid and the hospital is on emergency power), your lighting should be bright and antiseptic (lots of fluorescent blues and yellows). Also, if you're going to use that wallpaper texture in your stairwells, you may want to stretch it vertically to eliminate the trim in between the levels.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Riomaki on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Hmm, not all hospitals are modern, though. Newer hospitals, of course, bear a lot of resemblance to airports. Sleek, contemporary and filled with glass. But older hospitals, especially stuff from the 60s or 70s, could fit his exterior profile quite easily. They often have a glommed together feeling, with various wards and extensions being added over the years to keep things up to date. If that's what you're going for, check out some of that era's architecture. Especially the cheesy stone/brick or pebbly support columns contrasting with sterile stucco walls.

If you want to make the hospital side look more substantial, you could add an inaccessible tower above the main building in the skybox or world. The gameplay space could represent the ground floor lobby.

I don't know much about CS:GO, to be honest, so I can't say much about the actual design.
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby cpl. punishment on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Riomaki wrote:Hmm, not all hospitals are modern, though. Newer hospitals, of course, bear a lot of resemblance to airports. Sleek, contemporary and filled with glass. But older hospitals, especially stuff from the 60s or 70s, could fit his exterior profile quite easily. They often have a glommed together feeling, with various wards and extensions being added over the years to keep things up to date. If that's what you're going for, check out some of that era's architecture. Especially the cheesy stone/brick or pebbly support columns contrasting with sterile stucco walls.

If you want to make the hospital side look more substantial, you could add an inaccessible tower above the main building in the skybox or world. The gameplay space could represent the ground floor lobby.

I don't know much about CS:GO, to be honest, so I can't say much about the actual design.

True. I was assuming modern hospital due to the direction the exterior seemed to be going. Riomaki has a good suggestion: you could add extra inaccessible floors to your building to make it more substantial. Just make sure you go in with a plan, and you won't have to go back and redo as much later.

If you want a suggestion for replacing the river, why not do a courtyard instead?
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Rogerz on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 pm

Lighting should be fixed after I add a lot more wall lamps. As for the layout, I kind of went with the lobby being a bit more like a clinic, with intentions on the main areaas being hospital (i.e even brighter lights and white/tile walls/floors. The hospital is supposed to be much taller, but I am unsure if it is necessary to put in the fake floors before doing a 3D skybox (which I have to learn how to do). I have already put a lot of small brushes in the map for railings, etc. so I am afraid of adding too much and slowing down Hammer. I just learned how to do the cordoning ability, so that is helping. River turning into a courtyard? That is quite possible, due to needing another path. I have a bad notion that I should scrap my current layout, try again, but keep a few things that might already work out.

Thanks for all the responses, btw.
Rogerz

Postby Rogerz on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 am

I just finished primary layout of bombsite B. (no more rectangle bridge) I think I may make this an older hospital but I dunno. It needs some railing/banisters running down the walls especially in the hallway. I like what is going on so far, but the lighting is awful, which means I must be color blind or something, lol. Any help/suggestions/critique or a punch in the mouth is much appreciated.

Rogerz

Postby Major Banter on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:33 am

Jesus man, use the constant and linear functions on some of those lights. Brighten it up!

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Constant-Linear-Quadratic_Falloff

Also, I would heavily recommend you stop detailing and texturing until you've tested it. And then tested it some more.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rogerz on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:42 am

I'd love to test it, but recently separating from the military and being between jobs/school means I can't host a site. I don't have a lot of friends who enjoy this game, either. I could easily get the layout untextured and put out for play testing if it were possible. I will check out the info on that link, however, because I really need help on lighting. I also have been rendering on fast without HDR which I don't know if that changes too much. I can't use HDR anymore, because I'm getting errors while rendering. I will stop detailing, though. I've been playing with bots and it seems even with me watching, but that doesn't mean much. Thanks.
Rogerz

Postby Major Banter on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:43 pm

You can ask people here for help, or if you have a half-decent connection you can run a listen server. There's plenty of 'lopers who play CSGO, after all.

In regards to local testing though, I'm told the best thing is to let bots fight it out for about 30 minutes by themselves and see what the skew is.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rogerz on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:59 pm

I live in the middle of podunk US, so my connection is bad for a listen server. I started blocking in sections and making bombsite A more fleshed out without textures or models. (it's the pharmacy area)

I will do the bot thing, and if anyone reads this and can host for an hour of goofing off, please let me know. Thanks again for the help, truly appreciated.

I still need to figure out how hints, etc. work so that I can start optimizing the map prior to models/textures later, so I will start reading up on those tuts now.
Rogerz

Postby Riomaki on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Again, I'm not familiar with the lighting styles of CS:GO, but I know that generally speaking, you shouldn't use only "light" entities for lighting. You should consider having a light_spot at each light (in addition to the existing light), and aim it toward the middle of the hallway. You may also consider having lights that go down the middle of the hallway in the ceiling (i.e. the kinds of inset fluorescent lights you see in drop ceilings - there's probably an existing texture for that).

Valve often places more physical light fixtures than they actually use. Don't feel that every light fixture needs to produce light. :)
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby Rogerz on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:51 pm

I took the advice and blocked out the rest of the map (so now it's goofy and half textured and half orange and grey). I am going to rent a server since its only 12$ a month. I will link it here in case anyone ever has the opportunity to try it out. The minimap doesn't work (I don't know where I went wrong making it but I still have the picture file) and the bots tend to get stuck on some of the stairs (again, need to figure stuff out still). The layout is much faster paced than most maps, basically like Nuke if you removed the pointlessly long starting spots for each side. I also removed anything that would be beyond playable borders so that it doesn't compute it during .nav rendering.
Rogerz

Postby Rogerz on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:30 am

Once I figure out how to get my map to work on my server without posting this to the CSGO Community page, I will link here. I blocked in the rest of the map, and this is the primary layout I will go with till I get testing to tweak.

Disclaimer:
1. Some areas got missed when I was putting in basic lights, if it is a huge problem I can fix that.
2. The new vent that links the outside the a room next to Bombsite A has an issue where the water cuts off early (will be fixed) and you move slowly on the upper section (again, will get fixed)
3. Some blocks missed a grid space and will get cleaned up.

These are mostly small issues, but I wanted to show I already recognized them. Bot testing went pretty even, most of the games were 8-7 at the end. I don't know if this expected or an issue with the bot programming. Please let me know what you guys think. Also, if anyone wants to test out the map for their own let me know.

Here is the rest of the layout in pictures.
http://imgur.com/a/ONFlM#0
Rogerz

Postby Rogerz on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 am

connect 63.211.221.69:27015 You can mapvote and get the hospital. Hit me up here, in tells, whatever if anyone tests the map.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =323136468
Rogerz

Return to Under Construction