Jenkins08's Music

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

Jenkins08's Music

Postby jenkins_08 on Fri May 01, 2009 5:32 am

Howdy all i bit the bullet and uploaded a final version of the album. I dont have any mastering equipment so sorry in advance for some distortion (Mainly in the covers)

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?ndolouzygin

-Jenkins

-----
EDIT: Against my better Judgment i'm going to list and link every possible song i've created so you can hear the varied style that i've been going for, regardless of what's said below.
I will say this though, every album i plan to make or have made, will hopefully be a different style to the last. This is true for nearly every musician, and i fear that this will be something looked over and i will be judged solely on the link posted above. Please don't.

You see i don't just use Fruityloops with a 1980s synth sound, That was the style of the album and im sorry if anyone finds that boring but if you say that's what it sounds like, then cool i did what i was supposed to.

Peace, Enjoy the music, whether it be 1 song or 5 i dont care so long as you enjoy them thats the main thing :)
-Jenkins
Last edited by jenkins_08 on Sun May 03, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Jenkins08's Music -Rate & Debate-

Postby jenkins_08 on Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 am

-snip-
Last edited by jenkins_08 on Sun May 03, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby srredfire on Sun May 03, 2009 7:30 am

Downloading now.

Alright. I'm guessing you want my honest opinion, so I'm not going to sugar coat anything.

From what I was expecting, I expected more honestly. I thought from the sheer size and what looked to be a pretty professional setup songs, I was going to get something with a bit more, er, production value.

Really, this is good for someone starting off, I mean it's better than what I can do most likely, but a lot of sounds like a lot of really basic beginner work in Fruity Loops. Just really dull and dry sounds, everything sounding cheap and repetitive. The only tracks I found remotely decent were Waurm and Chase. Other than that I found the others just annoying and bland. They just sounded like you too all the basic overused sample instruments and just fiddled with them. So of the compositions really, sadly, sound pretty bad :\.

The whole quality reminds me of like, low 3rd party SNES or Genesis games. If you were going for somewhat of a Retro feeling with these, I supppose you could say it worked. Some people love making 8 bit chip tunes of songs, but I really highly doubt you were going for anything of the sort.

Sorry Jenkins. I don't want you to hate me all over again, but I really did expect better. From the whole way you first presented it I thought going in I was going to be able to reply with "Wow, I'm impressed, I really liked XXXX" etc etc. But sadly this is not the case. Depending on how long you've been working with this setup and programs, if you're starting out I'd say good work, you're off to a great start, but if this is something you've been doing for a long time, I'd either say bump up the skill level, find some new material, or find something else to do. Or got back in time and make music for Super Nintendo.

Sorry man, just the honest darn tootin' truth.

3/10
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jenkins_08 on Sun May 03, 2009 9:19 am

srredfire wrote:Sorry Jenkins. I don't want you to hate me all over again, but I really did expect better. From the whole way you first presented it I thought going in I was going to be able to reply with "Wow, I'm impressed, I really liked XXXX" etc etc. But sadly this is not the case. Depending on how long you've been working with this setup and programs, if you're starting out I'd say good work, you're off to a great start, but if this is something you've been doing for a long time, I'd either say bump up the skill level, find some new material, or find something else to do. Or got back in time and make music for Super Nintendo.

Sorry man, just the honest darn tootin' truth.

3/10

Thats ok man im not offended it was my choice to release them as is and i shall bear the consequences.
And i know they are low rate and tacky but i've never been shown how to do any of this, i've been using different music programs for about 7 years not just fruityloops, some of the tracks were done in reason and acid pro, others were completely done in fruityloops others were half and half and yeah, i know its not the best, maybe its not what im meant to do, im actually finding it really difficult at the moment to find something im 100% good at. I'm this level of skill for a wide range of things, and i think its starting to be more a burden than a blessing.

Thank you for your honesty and i hope that someone will enjoy these tunes, if i can make 1 person happy then i guess that's something.

On a slightly brighter note, i wrote Chase especially for the mod, and i hope to imporve it more and add more to it and produce something out of it.

Thanks again for the reply man, i hope one day i can come up with something that is truly music to your ears

-Jenkins
jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Jenkins08's Music

Postby Acheron on Sun May 03, 2009 10:31 am

I was going to PM you but I thought I'd rather not disturb you so if anything you can ignore me :P

I unfortunately can't listen to it because of the large file size (I'm on wireless with a 2gb cap, joyous) but I've listened to a few of the songs you had on acidplanet (I think it was that website?). I honestly didn't mind them though I think I understand where srred is coming from. If you're interested I can try and offer a hand in fixing up/mastering/whatever, I can't say that I'm all too good with it either but I'm always willing to help. I mainly use FL Studio though so I'd prefer to stick with those. If you'd like, you can even PM me a few of the flp files (if you're worried about this, it doesn't have to be a song you truly care about or whatever, just anything) and I can try to see if I can help in any way. Just show you a few things that I do, a few things that I know others do, anything that I can.
Acheron
Regular
Regular

Postby jenkins_08 on Sun May 03, 2009 10:54 am

Acheron wrote:I was going to PM you but I thought I'd rather not disturb you so if anything you can ignore me :P

I unfortunately can't listen to it because of the large file size (I'm on wireless with a 2gb cap, joyous) but I've listened to a few of the songs you had on acidplanet (I think it was that website?). I honestly didn't mind them though I think I understand where srred is coming from. If you're interested I can try and offer a hand in fixing up/mastering/whatever, I can't say that I'm all too good with it either but I'm always willing to help. I mainly use FL Studio though so I'd prefer to stick with those. If you'd like, you can even PM me a few of the flp files (if you're worried about this, it doesn't have to be a song you truly care about or whatever, just anything) and I can try to see if I can help in any way. Just show you a few things that I do, a few things that I know others do, anything that I can.

Thanks for your kind words man, and add me on steam if you like and we'll talk some more, it's jenkins_08 ...

You wouldn't be disturbing me either..

-Jenkins
jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ghost12332 on Sun May 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Alright, you guys do know that mastering is just adjusting the volume levels so that it never peaks above 0db, and stays at the same perceived loudness? If your source material is bad, the final master will stay bad.

You can't master in FL Studio by default either(It's also hideously unusable for mastering). You'll either have to download a new set of mastering plugins, or better yet, get a program with an interface MEANT for mastering and mixing. Fruity Loops is not something I would ever work with if I had to record a single part from a microphone or guitar.

Also, downloading now.

EDIT: Alright, to start off I'm going to have to stay with Srred's 3/10. It's harsh, but it's the truth.

The first thing I noticed was something that sounded a hell of a lot like FL Slayer, which also happens to sound nothing like a real distorted guitar. Never use Slayer. It sounds generic, and just plain bad.

I went through a random selection of probably 1/3 of your songs. You have a very big tendency to keep the same patterns running through the whole song, which starts to get old. Try thinking of your songs in a
A-B-C-B-D type format, or something similar. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Outro. Variations off of that, etc.

Many of the synths sounded very 8 bit. Try not to use Acid-Basslines are a main part, as they sound very old and outdated.

The arpeggios were ok, but once again, stayed the same for a quite a while.

A HUGE thing that I noticed with your songs is that you have ALOT of conflicting tempos. For instance in your bond song, the high notes are going WAY faster then your drums Beat-Per-Minute. This conflicts. Your distorted trance synth also goes FASTER then the drums.

This is almost ALWAYS a no-no unless you know exactly what kind of effect you want from this.

Your piano sounded very soft-synth like, and unreal (In a bad way).

-------------------------------

Conclusion: The songs would be exponentially better if you did the following.

Always matched your BPM's for all the instruments. If it the song sounds strange, thats because it IS.

Always stayed in the same key signature.

Vary your arpeggio and trance patterns.

You humanized your drums.

Biggest thing of all, GET NEW SYNTH PLUGINS! ALL of the Fruity Loops physical modeling plugins (Strings, Piano, Bass, etc) sound very cheesey, and synthy. They do not sound real.

You could benefit from better Trance Synths. Of all the plugins included with Fruity Loops, I would only use select patches from Poizone, and Toxic Biohazard. For drums, FL has a very good built in drum pad program, with quite a few midi files. It sounds good.

Good Synths:

Absynth
Massive
Z3ta+
Zebra
Alchemy
Omnisphere
V-Station
Chimera
Microtrance
Korg Legacy Collection

Good Piano:
Pianoteq
Mr. Ray
Mr. Sun

Good Strings:

EastWest Quantum Leap Orchestra
Garritan Personal Orchestra

Tons of Synths: DSK Audio

Good Drums:
EZDrummer
Battery
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby jenkins_08 on Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 pm

ghost12332 wrote:Alright, you guys do know that mastering is just adjusting the volume levels so that it never peaks above 0db, and stays at the same perceived loudness? If your source material is bad, the final master will stay bad.

You can't master in FL Studio by default either(It's also hideously unusable for mastering). You'll either have to download a new set of mastering plugins, or better yet, get a program with an interface MEANT for mastering and mixing. Fruity Loops is not something I would ever work with if I had to record a single part from a microphone or guitar.

Also, downloading now.

EDIT: Alright, to start off I'm going to have to stay with Srred's 3/10. It's harsh, but it's the truth.

The first thing I noticed was something that sounded a hell of a lot like FL Slayer, which also happens to sound nothing like a real distorted guitar. Never use Slayer. It sounds generic, and just plain bad.

I went through a random selection of probably 1/3 of your songs. You have a very big tendency to keep the same patterns running through the whole song, which starts to get old. Try thinking of your songs in a
A-B-C-B-D type format, or something similar. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Outro. Variations off of that, etc.

Many of the synths sounded very 8 bit. Try not to use Acid-Basslines are a main part, as they sound very old and outdated.

A HUGE thing that I noticed with your songs is that you have ALOT of conflicting tempos. For instance in your bond song, the high notes are going WAY faster then your drums Beat-Per-Minute. This conflicts. Your distorted trance synth also goes FASTER then the drums.

This is almost ALWAYS a no-no unless you know exactly what kind of effect you want from this.

Your piano sounded very soft-synth like, and unreal (In a bad way).

-------------------------------

Conclusion: The songs would be exponentially better if you did the following.

Always matched your BPM's for all the instruments. If it the song sounds strange, thats because it IS.

Always stayed in the same key signature.

Vary your arpeggio and trance patterns.

I don't just use Fruityloops so you can stop with the dissin FL Studio part because like it or not, i'm not the only aspiring artist to use it.
I know what mastering is and i can't afford the Right equipment for it, Whether that's software, hardware, Freeware, Shareware etc.

You have a very big tendency to keep the same patterns running through the whole song

Thought that was called a beat?

I agree that was the intended idea.

I dont have endless flowing creativity i try my best and sorry it doesn't uphold your standards but you must remember to ask yourself this;
Do you like Brittany Spears music? What about the Spice Girls? Or maybe some Eminem or some Idk whatevernamebandyoudontlike... Do you think their music is perfect? Do you think they have the same repeative crap through the songs... Dont lie either ive heard alot of shit on the radio that is well suited for the bottom of a dumpster.

Have you had music lessons? If the answer is yes then you sir are lightyears ahead of me and basically don't know what im trying to really show here. I know they are low budget tunes but NEWS FLASH!!! i have no budget at all so for someone like ssred to be expecting more is a compliment on its own because i dont know where im supposed to pull this High budget from.

Oh and most of you probably think im whinging or bitching or getting offended but im not, Im pretty damn depressed right now because i agree with everything you both said.

It would be like walking up to a painter with one arm, and telling him you could do better with 2 arms, and then proceed to point out what is wrong with his picture and how you can do those parts much more better with 2 arms, it fucking hurts man that i have to sit here and basically think to myself, ok well these guys make some pretty harsh but strong and valid points...
Am i just wasting my time even creating these and writing this now?

I think the answer after i look deep down is Yes because i can never get to a level that you will be satisfied with, because you think that i'm in this to gain popularity or some shit, im just here to share what i've done so far, that all, thank you for the constructive criticism but take it as a warning that not everything you dislike is actually bad.
Just because you like structured songs A-B-C-D-E-F whatever doesn't mean there are rules to say i cant make it G-A-D-B-E-C if i wanted to..right?
Might sound shit to you but what about me? You are basically saying that my taste in music is incorrect with statements like that, and i know there is a certain structure to a song, but do you think people stick to the same linear crap with level design? What about art or poetry? Does all poetry have to rhyme? Yeah i didn't think so, so please im all for the crits, just sort of think about what your critiquing please.

Dazed and Confused.
-Jenkins

EDIT: EDITED OP ^
jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Acheron on Sun May 03, 2009 5:53 pm

ghost12332 wrote:Alright, you guys do know that mastering is just adjusting the volume levels so that it never peaks above 0db, and stays at the same perceived loudness? If your source material is bad, the final master will stay bad.

So you're saying that mastering which is just "adjusting volume levels so that it never peaks above 0db" is too difficult a task to do in FL Studio? That it's hideously unusable to turn down the volume, use a compressor or a limiter? Perhaps a mixture of all of these and a few other things? You go on about mastering then you start to say that FL Studio is not good for tracking mics or guitars? What does that have to do with mastering?

Honestly saying it's just adjusting volume levels is one of the biggest understatements you could make about the entire process. The removal of minor flaws that could be left over after a mixdown doesn't count as part of mastering then eh? Or perhaps adding stereo width, reverb/ambience, equalisation between tracks, noise reduction. These are just some of the things audio masters do, because every single song is different they need to know what to do, what to apply and how to work with it. Simply saying that it's "making the volume go under 0db" is close to a bloody insult to people who do that work. Bloody hell, sometimes they even have to re-record parts, it's not a unknown thing to have an artist want to re-record something during a master. I know a few blokes who do professional mastering and keep a SM7b or another good microphone around just for that reason.
Acheron
Regular
Regular

Postby ghost12332 on Sun May 03, 2009 7:50 pm

As for Acheron, yes your right, you make some good points (As in you win :| )

As for Jenkins, :shock: . Don't be so sensitive.

First off, my main influence comes from the Progressive Rock genre, which totally destroys most basic forms. I hate rap, pop, hip hop, R&B, funk, reggae, lots of genres; I feel they're generic and uncreative. Wu-Tang Clan even said, rap is for the musically untalented. As for genres like pop, you wouldn't believe how much work goes into making it sound like pop music. I may hate the singers and artists in it, but you better believe the producers work damn hard to get those sounds, and most people can't come close to emulating them.

I told you what you could do to improve your songs, and you basically suggested that I go and fuck off. I'm not saying you should stop making music at all. You have potential. Don't whine that I called your music shitty, go and fucking fix it.

If you don't want to take what I said into consideration, thats fine, however don't go saying that I hate your music style and think your creativity is bullshit, that you should follow the norm. I didn't say that, I simply suggested that instead of playing the same exact thing over and over for 2 minutes, you should try adding in interludes, or a bridge. At the very least stop making blatant tempo mistakes.

I took 20 minutes out of my day to write what you could improve on, and what was flawed in your music. I listed out plugins, and synths that you could use that would make your music sound alot better. No one made me do that. As for money, I'm on a budget. You think I'm rich? No one says you have to buy stuff, go fucking torrent it if you want to for all I care. Theres a hell of a lot of good, free synths and plugins. You may have to look for them, but they're there. Nearly 3/4 of my instruments are freeware or donation ware. Reaper, the software that I use to make my music, is donation ware.

Your previous post reminds me of an amateur mapper. You tell him something is boxy, or is fullbright, and he kicks and throws a tantrum. If he was smart, he would lookup how to make it less boxy, and add in lighting. Now suddenly his map looks alot better. This is how you get better. The reason why people get opinions on their work is because other people aren't biased. I've written quite a few songs which I've been told are crap, for whatever reason. It's like a blow to the heart, I know, I've been there. You just start again and don't make the same mistakes.

About my 3/10 rating, It's not that your melodies & music are necessarily bad, but they get boring, and everything sounds very 8-bit, old, and generic. Throw in some new parts, get some new synths, and google music theory. Just because you don't play an instrument, or have never taken a lesson is absolutely no excuse for you to keep making crappy music. Maybe in 1990, but now with the internet it's no longer valid.

This is why Google is so awesome.

Results 1 - 10 of about 50,800,000 for music theory.
Results 1 - 10 of about 112,000,000 for music form
Results 1 - 10 of about 703,000 for fruity loops tutorials
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,050,000 for free synths.
Results 1 - 10 of about 412,000 for keyboard lessons

Don't expect to learn music overnight. You can't just type in "music tutorial" into google. People goto school for years in universities, and still come out not knowing music. Music isn't like mapping or texturing; You can't just take a course or 2 and know how to do it. It's not an established science, it's truly a field of its own.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby jenkins_08 on Mon May 04, 2009 4:40 am

ghost12332 wrote: As for Jenkins, :shock: . Don't be so sensitive.

I told you what you could do to improve your songs, and you basically suggested that I go and fuck off. I'm not saying you should stop making music at all. You have potential. Don't whine that I called your music shitty, go and fucking fix it.

Dude i don't want this to be a flame war, but read what i fucking said.
I'm NOT whinging about what you said, I AGREED WITH EVERYTHING.
Jesus Christ listen to what i write please.

ghost12332 wrote: Your previous post reminds me of an amateur mapper. You tell him something is boxy, or is fullbright, and he kicks and throws a tantrum. If he was smart, he would lookup how to make it less boxy, and add in lighting. Now suddenly his map looks alot better. This is how you get better. The reason why people get opinions on their work is because other people aren't biased. I've written quite a few songs which I've been told are crap, for whatever reason. It's like a blow to the heart, I know, I've been there. You just start again and don't make the same mistakes.

LOOK AT THE OP WHAT DO YOU THINK I DID
I posted more song to fucking show you that i don't just use a 1980 Super Nintendo synth sound;

ITS CALLED A THEME

Mate you really get on my nerves because you think you know it all, so where are your hit songs?
Where are your number 1's to give you the right to put so much emphasis on how crap my music is and how much better you are I DONT CARE.

I posted these to share, get rated and talk about them, not for you to tell what instruments i should fucking use, Do you tell a Guitarist his Ashton guitar is shit, he should go and buy a Les Gibson and all of a sudden his music will aprove? No it depends on the Guitarist.

Don't be so sensitive.

That's a bit fucking hard man when All you have to say is what can be improved, yet you fail at pointing out anything good yet you give it 3/10... I dont get that you should give it 0/10 if your going to be that fucking critical about it.

I edited my Original Post;
jenkins_08 wrote:EDIT: EDITED OP ^
Against my better Judgment i'm going to list and link every possible song i've created so you can hear the varied style that i've been going for, regardless of what's said below.
I will say this though, every album i plan to make or have made, will hopefully be a different style to the last. This is true for nearly every musician, and i fear that this will be something looked over and i will be judged solely on the link posted above. Please don't.

And posted more than 60 songs DIFFERENT from the ones you have listened to, yet your judging everything on 1/3 of the songs you listened to. Do you do the same thing with every artist? IS every artist you listen to the same crap for every song? No its called VARIETY.

I wasn't offended before, i wasn't angry but YOU SIR have just put me over the edge.
I was being cool, calm and collected when i posted my previous replies, you want me to rage and go nuts? Well congratu-fucking-lations because it worked.

By the sound of it i should post every instrument and VST i've ever used just to try and dignify what you said with a response. Mate i appreciate the suggestions but if i want to use Fruityloops Sytrus THATS MY FUCKING CHOICE.

BY THE WAY, I use Native Instruments Kontact, Edison and MetalTube VST but you dont see me fucking bragging about it or trying to defend myself with brand names.

Whatever happened to when people were actually just nice to other people? Instead of you going on and on and on about what to NOT do, why suggest something, Hey jenkins the part in XXXX song was pretty good, i think you should exppand on it yada yada, but no you proceed to point everything out that's wrong with it, making me feel like shit, making my hard work seem worthless and making you out to be the hero, making you out to be the professional, WHEN IVE HEARD NOTHING FROM YOU.

Show me your songs and i might have a different attidude, but i dont see you posting more than 60 songs to try and fucking make people understand that not every song is the same. PLEASE SOMEONE BACK ME UP HERE.

I am really sick and tired of people replying to me threads thinking that im offended or upset of pissed off.
I WASNT before but now I AM.

Dude im not fucking Liberace, if you tell me to go and improve my songs, yo think i'm just going to snap my fingers and all of sudden they are all fixed, this is what really fucking hurt man;
Your previous post reminds me of an amateur mapper. You tell him something is boxy, or is fullbright, and he kicks and throws a tantrum. If he was smart, he would lookup how to make it less boxy, and add in lighting.

First of all this isn't mapping, second of all i'm not a magician i can't make shit happen instantly,third of all my skill level isn't as much as your almighty skill and fourth, I wasn't fucking chucking a tantrum until this post so stick your comments where the sun doesn't shine. Because i welcome crits with open arms and God i never thought i'd say this, but i wish there were more SSreds in this world, and whole lot less of you Ghost. Grow a fucking dick, dont patronize me and dont belittle me just because you THINK you are better.

I hope your happy because you got the reaction you wanted.

-Jenkins
jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby zombie@computer on Mon May 04, 2009 8:23 am

jenkins calm the f down or ill have to start waving the locky. :)
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby srredfire on Mon May 04, 2009 8:35 am

Haha, more Srred's in this world. Oh that's a thought.

I really do agree with both of you in some aspects. It's hard to really judge music in entirety. The whole thing that throws it apart is taste. For instance, some of my friends are really into rap, I hate rap. Now, I know all rappers aren't ghetto grills and guns, and that some are artists working hard on compositions day and night, and while to one that could be a 10/10, despite the amount of work, I could easily give it a 1, because I really JUST DON'T LIKE RAP. You see?

All in all it's the same story, you can't please everybody. I think I said it before, but I mean, personally, I can't do what you've done. I suck at audio creation. So I commened you for being able to produce something. I really don't now what I'm trying to say, so whatever. Just don't fight guys, it's honestly not something to get heated over. Accept you differences, agree to disagree, etc. Do it before Blink or someone comes here and puts padlock on the door. :)

EDIT: Oh looky at the post above, hello Zombie. LULZ
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Audio