interactive music in map

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

interactive music in map

Postby Fedora on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm making a scifi map and want to have everything synchronized with a beat, with all the different objects in the map emitting some sort of sound that builds on the beat. Like Rez, but not nearly as complicated:

First question - what audio program should I be using to make the beats/supplementary sounds? I want a digital trance/techno-esque sound to it, so there shouldn't be a lot of nuances I need to worry about when adding melodic stuff. A more beginner-friendly program would be best.

Second question - Entity-wise, how do you think I should go about this? Right now my thought is-

logic_timer fires on each beat with outputs to:
-play beat sound
-make glowing things in map flash
-add 1 to math_counter, which counts every 4 beats and plays a downbeat

On top of that, physics objects and usable items should have unique sounds (i.e. a small riff when somebody throws an object), but what if the player triggers them off-beat?

Another idea would be to have basic background music as a track playing, and try to sync up the triggers to it, but that sounds like it could be thrown off beat too easily.

Ideas? Suggestions? Hopefully I can make this very modular and easy to add on to.
I livestream and do hardcore play-by-play analysis of my mapping.
[Been on hiatus due to technical difficulties - starting again soon]
Fedora
Regular
Regular

Re: interactive music in map

Postby Mess on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 pm

i have to say that City17 has a dynamic music system similar to your description and the best thing you can do is make a mod of this and install Fmod, instead of using Miles. With a little coding, Fmod allows you to do stuff like this with much more ease.
Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Fedora on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm kind of testing the waters with the idea of dynamic music, and am planning to keep this project as a small deathmatch map with just a beat and some accompanying sounds.

But... Fmod looks amazing. After this, I was planning on exploring the idea on a wider scale. So thanks for the advice! Though I'm not going to make a mod out of this, my next project is definitely going to use Fmod.
Fedora
Regular
Regular

Postby Mess on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:06 am

if you're going to use counters to do this, i recommend you look at this chart http://www.angelfire.com/in2/yala/9mustool.htm to figure out the timing coupled with the BPM of your music.
Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Fedora on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:13 am

Many thanks.
Fedora
Regular
Regular

Postby Lemon Bottle on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:21 am

Just make sure your BPM falls on either 60 or 120 (FL Studio default is 140, Ableton is 120, Reason is 120). Then you can set your math counter to every second (if 60) or every half second (if 120).
Lemon Bottle

Return to Audio