Need help with .mp3 and .wav files in source SDK

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

Need help with .mp3 and .wav files in source SDK

Postby Ziday on Fri May 11, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been asked before, i tried searching but i couldn't find anything relevant.

So basically i've been trying out the ambient_generic entities in the source SDK and there aren't any songs from hl2 which seems to work! Something odd i've noticed is that only the few .wav files seems to work. But since most of the songs from HL2 is in a .mp3 format i can't use any of them.

Are they supposed to be .mp3 files or has something gone wrong? Any help would be appreciated!
Ziday
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Need help with .mp3 and .wav files in source SDK

Postby Major Banter on Fri May 11, 2012 9:17 pm

They're MP3 so they're a lower filesize. 2:30 in .wav would be extremely expensive in filesize terms, and needlessly so.

Just because you can't preview them in the sound browser doesn't mean they don't work. They do, but they use a number referencing system. HL2_SONG(xx) for example.

You'll find this useful.

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/half-l ... ngs.91802/
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ziday on Fri May 11, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly, i can find the mp3 files in the sound browser, and they are named after the referencing system you described.

For example: music\hl2_song10.mp3

But these sounds neither work in the sound browser or in-game, and every tutorial i watched have these sounds as .wav files instead of .mp3 files.
Ziday
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Major Banter on Fri May 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Are you triggering them correctly in-game? They're stored with every other sound file in the GCFs, so unless EVERYTHING is broken or you've got some incredibly obscure MP3 glitch, there's something wrong in the map itself.

Trust me, they're .mp3 files. If you put 'wav' on the end, they'll break. It should be linking to 'music\hl1_song21.mp3' for example. They will NOT work in the sound browser. They WILL work in game if treated as a normal WAV.

Oh, and for the record, I use MP3s, and they work fine.

ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ziday on Fri May 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Wow that's weird, i must've used a corrupted song or something when i tried it for the first time. But i tried another song and it works correctly in-game now. Thanks for being so patient and even doing a screencap for me! Atleast it worked out in the end :)
Ziday
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Ziday on Fri May 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Oh and the link you provided is gonna be really helpful for choosing songs, thanks alot!
Ziday
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Audio