Recommended Sound Equipment

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

Recommended Sound Equipment

Postby Epifire on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:41 am

So this may seem like a new walk of design far from my level designing as it would seem to most who know me here, but I have actually been into recording custom tracks/sounds for a long time. I mainly play electric guitar, with some familiarity with keyboard/drums and music theory (light on the theory though). I am looking into buying some good new equipment for my work, and wanted to get a opinion from you guys. Since I have a higher regard for the opinions of other, "Lopers" here at the forums I thought I would give it a go.

So I am on my way to getting a new electric, my old one seeing much wear and needing replacement. So for that I upgraded with a new amplifier, and am saving to pick up a Les Paul or even getting one specially designed or customized. I am into heavy synth, and 70's - 80's genres, just so you know where I am coming from. No eyes on a link for the guitar cause I am going to a walk in dealer where I bought my recent amp.

For the keyboard, I planed on maybe having two when it is said and done. I wanted a full sized keyboard that doesn't really have a lot for sound banks, but really high quality, and rich piano sound. For the effects I wanted this small, compact synthesizer keyboard... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/korg-microkorg-synthesizer-vocoder

It has great reviews where ever I have searched it, and it has got the quality I am looking for too. However just out of interest I am wondering what kind of equipment powered the effects for songs like these...

Bridge and effects heard in these two songs.

If you got the time those both have effects I am interested in, and how they were generated and as to what with. Not a huge deal if I don't get any info on those now.

So onto mics. I am looking into maybe getting some challenges among friends of mine to voice act, for what may go into my mods. Or just plain singing too. I know pop filters and a good mount/stand are a must for this case, but that doesn't say much for good mics.

Just out of personal experience or recommendation, I came to you guys to see what your thoughts were.
Epifire

Re: Recommended Sound Equipment

Postby Hollow on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 am

For voice acting/vocals, always go for a decent condenser mic. AKG are a pretty decent brand. Something like the C1000S is a bog standard all rounder that has pretty good reviews. Behringer are alright aswell.

But if you are going to invest in a decent mic or plan on doing any proper recording, I strongly advise you buy an audio interface if you do not already have one. It has a vastly superior soundcard - better than anything your PC is designed for - built into an external module that lets you connect up any kind of I/O, XLR, guitar IN, MIDI, etc etc.

I used to own a TC Electronic Konnekt 6 interface, and it was pretty darn decent. I wasn't quite as accustomed to recording as I am now, but I managed decent enough stuff.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/konnekt24d.asp
Thats the 24D version, mine was essentially the same.

http://soundcloud.com/the-hollow-night/ ... ed-and-the
And that's the quality I managed at the time.

Also with the mic, make sure to get one of those anti-shock cages that mounts to the stand.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Epifire on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Is this one just a newer version of the one you posted? http://www.tcelectronic.com/impacttwin.asp

I happened to notice the one you posted read discontinued at the top, and this just looked like it's successor. Looking into the actual mics right now, and on a quick run through those AKGs look good. Any suggestions on one you would stick with directly, or should I just find one in my $300.00 price range?
Epifire

Postby Hollow on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Epifire wrote:Is this one just a newer version of the one you posted? http://www.tcelectronic.com/impacttwin.asp

Yes most likely. The version I had was a few years old.

You could definitely get a pretty awesome mic within that price range for sure.
I owned a AKG C1000S, on recommendation from a friend, its was very good for the price, there's probably a newer version aswell. But really just go with one that ticks all the boxes for you needs.

Obviously the best way to test is if you can go to an audio equipment store and test a couple of mics.
But usually if that's not possible, just pick the one that has decent critic and user reviews across the board. It's always been accurate enough for when i've bought stuff online.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Epifire on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:09 am

Yeah, I go by reviews and actually look into what it supports with what settings. Since I am new to working with a lot of keyboard and mics, it is a learning experience and often a lot of visits to a corresponding wiki page for that device.

Unlike what most people prefer I actually like older straight forward designs and less digital screens built into units. Even if it is more retro I seem to be drawn to it more, even if that does mean bulkier equipment. If I am correct about the effects in the previous songs listed, most commonly effects were built by a contracted sound engineer back in the day and those kind of effects were unique to that band. So now that I think about it a lot of that is not available directly from a lot of systems. That is of course if I am correct to assume that.
Epifire

Return to Audio