Sound libraries vs recording your own sounds

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

Sound libraries vs recording your own sounds

Postby -Noclip- on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:34 pm

If you are in need of sound effects for your maps/mods,
would you recommend to record them yourself or rather take use of a sound database?

I thought about recording sounds yesterday, because in this case you don't have to pay for them or care about any licenses.

But there are too many disadvantages:

1. You need enough money for the equipment (field recorder, microphones, headphones and so on). I know there do exists cheap field recorders wth integrated micophones, but I guess you should invest more than 500 bucks, if you expect acceptable results you can use in-game.

2. It's so difficult to record and get acceptable results and you need enough knowledge about sound recording and design.

3. Often you don't have access to sounds you actually need, it's too dangerous or even forbidden to make audio-recordings.

4. It's very time consuming

My personal opinion is, if you don't work as a sound artist and are equipped with the right devices or have money to rent a studio, it's not worth it all the money and time, just to get a few acceptable sound effects for your free project and should rather search for sounds on a free library.

What's your opinion?
-Noclip-
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Sound libraries vs recording your own sounds

Postby LordDz on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Of course I would use a sound library if there were any available, but the problem that I find with most sound libraries are that either they cost, or they have crappy sounds. So I tend to just go around on modding sites like GameBanana, etc when looking for sounds.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Audio