Ragdoll Physics Model Help.

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Ragdoll Physics Model Help.

Postby KatanaSwordfish on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:19 am

Hi there, I'm quite new to modelling and i'm basically just getting the hang of each phase of the process. I'm using the XSI mod tool, as well as adobe photoshop (for textures). Right now im pretty comfortable with making static models, i've made a few now and i've learned enough from my own mistakes to fix most of the problems i tend to run into during the compiling process.

However, here's where i need some help. I'm attempting to make a physics rag doll model for Counter-Strike: Source, but im not entirely sure how bones and rigging work, or if there are any difference in making the SMDs and writing the qc file.

The rag doll model im making is a stuffed animal-esque cat, where its legs and tail flop around when it gets moved/shot. Here's where i am right now: I'm done with all the 'modelling' parts. Right now i have the geometry/poly mesh for each separate part of the cat (each piece of the model that i want to flop around are independent objects, not merged together.) [To be clear, there is; Head, Body, Leg1, Leg2, Leg3, Leg4, Tail1, Tail2 -- the tail is split into 2 parts so that it has a little bit more movement]...

So, i know how to do the mapping/texturing, so i dont really need help with that. I'm just not positive how the bones are supposed to be set up and how to tie them together and how to write a qc for a ragdoll model.

I assume there needs to be 1 bone for each separate piece of the model. (So, one rigged to the head, one rigged to the body, one to each leg and tail piece, right?). How should i connect all the bones/pieces together? Is there a difference in the way i export SMDs, or write the qc file, or compile?

Here is a picture of what i have so far. If there are any good tutorials on rag doll physics models that any of you know about, please let me know. Thanks.

KatanaSwordfish

Return to Custom Asset Help