Cubish skybox

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Cubish skybox

Postby Steel Soldier on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:57 am

I've already searched this, here, in this forum, but no discussion was talking about my problem.

My problem is that my skybox, its completly well-done, it fits every piece, but it looks irreal, like being on a cube. This image explains more:

Can you see it?

The skybox

Every VMT file is correct, and VTF values like Clamp T and Clamp S are checked. The size of each vtf is 1024x1024 instead of 512x512, if that can helps.
Steel Soldier
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Cubish skybox

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:16 pm

got to love those space clouds behind the moon.
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Corewarp on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 pm

source-maps wrote:got to love those space clouds behind the moon.

I thought the same after looking at the picture twice. Try occluding the moon and putting it BEHIND the clouds.
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:43 pm

what also might help is shrinking it down, in movie and games or any art form.. they tend to make the moon very large so it looks more dramatic.

this can look great, but in reality the moon takes up a really tiny amount of 'space' in the sky
when creating this sky, I started out with a very large moon and it looked very awkward.. so in the end I just shrank it down quite a bit
looking back at it now, I think it could even get a way with making it tinier.

making it smaller will also combat the warping of the moon that will happen to skyboxes, making it feel less decal-ish.

unless of course you want to go for that dramatic effect I talked about before, which 'if done right' can also look very good

source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Stormy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 pm

I thought that was the difference between the 3d skybox texture and the 2d skybox texture. Don't take my word for it though I can't into hammer. I MAEK A MODULS.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Major Banter on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Remember, you're applying a flat texture to what is effectively a curved surface. Failing to work with curvature will result in a boxy looking skybox, because you're sticking to 2D conventions in a 3D medium.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Major Banter wrote:Remember, you're applying a flat texture to what is effectively a curved surface. Failing to work with curvature will result in a boxy looking skybox, because you're sticking to 2D conventions in a 3D medium.

fuck man, how come you get to say it so elegantly
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Custom Asset Help