Frozenbyte's Trine Editor released

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Frozenbyte's Trine Editor released

Postby Stormy on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:31 pm

http://www.frozenbyte.com/2014/09/froze ... d-trine-2/

I have been wanting to fiddle with this game since I played it, so glad it's out now. The lighting is so beautiful and the shaders look amazing. It's wysiwyg and play in editor.

I've had a little play with it and while it looks daunting it's not too hard to figure out if you play around. Anyone else interested in this engine/editor? Jimonions, you should like this, your stuff always reminds me of Trine.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Frozenbyte's Trine Editor released

Postby jimonions on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:07 pm

Yea I downloaded right away. Looots of interesting techniques used. Took a look at pretty much all the maps. As for how to use it I haven't a clue. It is quite confusing and unlike other editors or 3D apps.

Either way I was wondering how they did a lot of things and having this cleared up a lot of them. specifically the parallax effect with smoke and lighting. They are all just flat planes with minimal particle effects. Most of the background distance blur and fog have very unique shaders though. The water is actually fairly simple. Just colour corrected and a moving refracted caustic material in front of the camera.
Unfortunately source will not be able to do many of this except break. Only way is to possibly fix the current problems and authorize new shaders.
The water surface looks realy nice. It may actually be possible to fake it but with really hacky techniques. Maybe in my free time I can find a way.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:29 pm

jim, you are an inspiration to us all.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Riomaki on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Frozenbyte does a lot of neat stuff for its fans. It wasn't too long ago that they retrofit online co-op into Trine 1 in a free update. Developers just don't do that kind of thing anymore. They are the kind of developer I feel good about supporting - not the type that's constantly trying to get one over on customers and shake them down for a few extra bucks of DLC.
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Return to Game Development