Map analysis video

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Map analysis video

Postby Daz on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:58 am

Hey 'lopers, it's been a while :)

I have uploaded a video to YouTube I thought might be interesting for some of you, it's a level design analysis video of an unreleased half-life 2 single player map I worked on some time ago, with commentary from myself on the choices I made and why the map sucks! Be warned as the video is about an hour long :P

It doesn't delve into editor techniques or anything like that, but rather general level design philosophy. I would love to hear your comments on it as I plan on doing a series of videos like this for more of my maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7FZAuWfNNg
Daz

Re: Map analysis video

Postby TheDanishMaster on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:04 pm

I really hope this video becomes famous among mappers, especially the new guys who just got into mapping. And you know, this video isn't just for Source, this could easily help people working with UDK, CryEngine, Unity and so on.
I guess that we can all map, but can we all do it correctly like, do we make sure that whenever a a battle is about happen, the player has some cover, or do we remember those tiny details which makes such a difference? Not all of us does..

So great video and I would love to see more (though a little shorter or at least split it up in categories like combat, volumetric effects, design and so on) :)
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Ich 666 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:36 pm

I like that kind of self critique you did there, because knowing what you did wrong with your last projects will help you not doing the same mistake again. And whats the best about it is, that every mapper can now do the same.
Ich 666
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MaK on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 am

I didn't think I was going to watch the whole video, but I did. I found it very interesting and fun, I like analyzing stuff like that and seeing other people's development process. I can see it being very informational and helpful to newer mappers or anybody making SP levels, and I'd definitely like to see more videos.
MaK

Postby Dives on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:07 am

Subscribed. Continue to make more of these kinds of videos and I'll keep watching. Its very interesting to watch other people's development process.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Daz on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the feedback!
Daz

Postby Daz on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Hey guys, I didn't want to create a new topic so I'll just post here. I've released part 1 of another map analysis video, this time of my Left 4 Dead 2 map "Cornered". In part 1 we look at the 1st rough draft of the map and then go through a couple of revisions up until the pre-beta version of the level. In part 2 (I'll link it here when its out) we will look at the beta version of the map and then all the changes I made to it leading up to the full release.

I hope you find it interesting :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PbX-YcoFWY
Daz

Postby Daz on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Daz

Postby Kremator on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:52 am

Like it a lot, keep em coming! I think it would be cool if you do analysis of other people's maps too, but from a design perspective not as a gamer.
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to Game Development