Taking on a mod project only to fail these days.

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Re: Taking on a mod project only to fail these days.

Postby dissonance on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:I have heen using the epic games forums but i like the interlopers community far more.
THIS, a billion, billion times this.
the official UDK forums feel, to me, to be cut from the same cloth as facepunch. they're cluttered and godawful looking, and the community doesn't seem to adhere to the same standard of quality that 'lopers does (even you, arma :P ).
even if it requires guerrilla derailment of the random thread to get a question answered, i'll be damned if i leave interlopers just because i switched to ue3.

also, on a side note, if hl3/ep3 ever comes out, i want this place to still be around!
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm just gonna t hrow this out there, but I'm looking for a programmer and a designer to help me with a udk game.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Spike on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:36 pm

marks wrote:I'm just gonna t hrow this out there, but I'm looking for a programmer and a designer to help me with a udk game.

I'll be glad to help you, but I don't really have time to do it.
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Terr on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Here's a question for you guys:

When it comes to the cause of "mod failure" and overall pain... How much of it stems from the "raw coding" (mod-engine, compiling) side, versus the "asset creation" (Maps/Models/Sounds/Textures/etc.) side?
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Not much comes from the coding section IMO. I learned to code in a few months, everything i needed to code atleast. And you can always get help easily with it. Atleast for me. Most of the trouble for me came from models and assets.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Terr on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:58 pm

That's good, in a way... I'm currently entertaining a daydream about creating plugins for an existing IDE framework, Netbeans, and the C/C++ stuff is the part I probably can't help anyone with.

It's almost certainly an over-ambitious daydream, but I like the idea of being able to reuse some of the clean/compile framework, auto-complete, syntax highlighting, auto-update, etc.
Terr
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Previous

Return to Game Development