How much would you pay for Hammer 2?

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

How much would you pay for Hammer 2?

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Okay, here's a hypothetical for you to ponder.

Let's say that Valve comes out next week or next month to announce that they have developed a much more refined version of the Hammer editor. This new version of the editor replaces the editor you use for most of Valve's games (not including GoldSource games). It includes some awesome new features, including some of the ones we have been discussing on one of the most recent threads on this topic. It does not include Source 2, because Half-Life 3 has not been announced yet. In fact, they make no mention of Half-Life games or Source 2.

Then they put on the video, which showcases Hammer 2.0's most awesome cool abilities...whatever they may be. Valve promises that the new editor is stable, crash-free, user-friendly, and all-inclusive when it comes to adding custom content. They talk about all sorts of cool things that you want and the video is impressive to say the least. Your dreams have come true......

But then, at the end of the announcement, they mention that price points are still being discussed and more will follow in the coming weeks.

How much would you be willing to pay for a revamped editor? What if Valve said they were charging $20 for the editor? How about $40? What about $60? What would be a reasonable price to you? If you say it should be free, defend your position.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How much would you pay for Hammer 2?

Postby Epifire on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Heck man I would pay $200.00 USD hands down if they asked for it. I would just say take my money, I want the new editor! :lol:

Yeah interesting point, although I doubt Valve would charge people for it but I get your point. Who knows, if all I had to do was wait till release to get it for free I might just wait, but if there was no info about the release date on HL 3 I might as well spend money on it.
Epifire

Postby Major Banter on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 pm

I'd expect it to be free. Not want, expect.

Valve knows how much of their games' longevity is down to the modding tools. They also know every modding tool on the market is free. If I were to put a price tag on it, I'd just say they'd dish it out to certain communities exclusively. But hey, look at SFM. Some closed beta that was!

I'd personally be more interested in new potential licensing fees. New editor, greenlight on the way - surely they'd want to really push supporting mods, for a cut that isn't downright obscene?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Text_Fish on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm

I'd happily pay the price of a new game, but I agree with MB that it wouldn't be in Valve's interest to charge for something which has the potential to add so much value to their games post-release.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Major Banter on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 pm

(But for the sake of argument, and assuming I got access to Source 2 later, $200 or so)
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 pm

If it came with source 2. I'd definitely pay 100-200 for it. If it came with just an editor. I wouldn't pay anything for it.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby source-maps on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 pm

you guys are crazy.. why would you pay for the tools that will indirectly make their games worth more.
after the harsh treatment we've got last couple of years, it would be adding insult to injury

of course this is just hypothetical and obviously wouldn't happen, but that is how I would feel about it.
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:12 pm

As a broader note. I'd have to beable to sell and make profit off of what I made. And it'd have to be a FULL source license meaning I can do what I want with it and sell it off. Other wise i'd never pay for any new editor.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 pm

i would pay $50 or so for it if it was truly a quality tool and was basically the dream come true.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 pm

I'd pay $60 for Episode 3 and then get the tool, but if they actually sell the tool like a license to make games that you can sell like UDK, then I would be willing to pay a pretty big chunk of money. I don't really see the point of buying a tool that you have to have games to use it with.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Knights on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 am

$19.99
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 am

$0.00

With the exception of this past update to TF2 Hammer which added FGD and other support for the SD and MvM gamemodes, they haven't supported the SDK for the past five years (not counting basic releases of tools for new games). The biggest update they ever did was to break every single player mod. They update HL1:DM, a game which has 6 people playing right now, more than they update the SDK.

In business there is a concept of "goodwill," that the name of a property has a measurable dollar value. "Hammer" and "Source" have no goodwill. The onus is on them to make people value it. The only reason people use it, is to mod their games. It has no value outside of that. Making F2P games and a history of releasing tools for free, and then charging for the one good update, would be a kick in the balls and nothing more.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby LordDz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 am

Different question.
If you had to pay 1$ every hour you have used Source Sdk, how much would you owe them?
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:57 am

No idea, considering that the program idles alot.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:24 am

I have to agree with Mr. Happy. While I'll always love Source despite the shortcomings it has developed in the modding scene, I'd never pay for Hammer 2.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Game Development