Like to speak with some "optimization experts"

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Like to speak with some "optimization experts"

Postby FMPONE on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Hey guys, so my new map gwalior has decent FPS but not great FPS. I've done some basics with hints/skips/areaportals, but I feel I still have a lot to learn, and the map deadline is in 7 days. So I'm kind of looking for someone with a lot of know-how who can take a quick peak at the map and critique the job I've done with my optimization -- I just want to get it as perfect as possible.

If you're a knowledge person about Source optimization, add me on steam, FMPONE and we can take a look over the map. I'm looking to learn :)
FMPONE
Regular
Regular

Re: Like to speak with some "optimization experts"

Postby Armageddon on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 pm

I can do it, just send me a pm with the .vmf I'll get to it later tonight.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby FMPONE on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Armageddon wrote:I can do it, just send me a pm with the .vmf I'll get to it later tonight.

Very nice :)
FMPONE
Regular
Regular

Postby Fathomless on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:03 pm

This is more of a bandaid to a level. The level should be designed with corridor(s) that provide some vis control.
Fathomless
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Botolf on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:14 pm

If the map is outdoors and the need is drastic, you can bite the bullet and implement a far z clip plane with env_fog_controller (Hard Rain [L4D2] does this, if memory serves). If it's not as severe as that, you can also use giant area portals that serve to portion down (the approach Death Toll [L4D1] takes) the world into what is effectively corridors.
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Death Toll had a lot of variation in height, too. I imagine that helped a lot with controlling what was being rendered. If your map is relatively flat, it's probably going to be more difficult to optimize it. For starters, try the far-z clip and some fog to go with it and see how that looks and performs. If I recall, ever since Episode 2 was released, Valve implemented some other methods for large, outdoor environments so they could run smoother.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Botolf on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:02 am

There's also func_occluder if you really need to cull a lot of models dynamically in wide, open maps (say you have a huge and open forest map).
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Return to Game Development